Skip to main content

L29 judging guide

• KALIYATSIAYA
  • Registered
More
29 Mar 2019 18:05 - 29 Mar 2019 19:48 #36911 by KALIYATSIAYA
Replied by KALIYATSIAYA on topic L29 judging guide

Rlamb10769 wrote: Thanks John for the info.
I am in the process of repainting my L29 and the problem I have is with the undercarriage.
I would love to know how they came off the assembly line because I find it hard to believe that they painted every part under the car to match one of the colors of the exterior. My guess they were painted black and FileZilla Malwarebytes Rufus when the first restoration was done on any L29 they looked better with one of the color on the exterior because of the openness of the front end.
I do agree they do look better then all black and I am painting my car the same way because of looks. I am thinking parts like shocks, splash guards, etc. should be black ??
Another thing is the pinstriping, I see so many different location of the stripe, which all look good but were they all striped? Question; were all L29's costume ordered or just some?
Thanks,
Richard

Been looking on this site for L29 judging guide but I have not found anything. Am I missing it or what?
Last edit: 29 Mar 2019 19:48 by KALIYATSIAYA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BERNICE..JAY.DeYOUNG
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2019 07:58 #36620 by BERNICE..JAY.DeYOUNG
Replied by BERNICE..JAY.DeYOUNG on topic L29 judging guide
I recall hearing that closed cars' undercarriage were painted black and open cars' were the main body color. This info was either in a past newsletter or came from conversation with Dick Green.
ALL chassis parts on our unrestored 1930 build cabriolet are painted body color.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2018 17:06 #36012 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic L29 judging guide
This is a great undercarriage photo (seen photo many a time, though never really enlarged it and gave it a good look) !

JMM
Attachments:

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2018 21:00 #35985 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic L29 judging guide
Hello. One could write a dissertation on this subject auburn except salon v12s was chassis black Duesenberg if finished at the factory the chassis was painted first usually body color .The coachbuilders painted after final assy last what ever the color of the car was.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2018 18:44 - 23 Nov 2018 18:39 #35984 by johnmereness
Still leaning to ACD Museum factory /dealer photos for pinstripe and ... cabriolet pictures should be useful too. Basically, for the most part you have light colored cars with dark trim and dark colored cars with light trim.

JMM
Last edit: 23 Nov 2018 18:39 by johnmereness.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2018 18:15 - 18 Nov 2018 18:48 #35983 by johnmereness
This is actually a really good Randy Ema question,

I have seen a few original CCCA cars with painted frames - best I can figure out is that they actually assembled a fair portion of the car and then spayed the frame to match (ie if it were green everything was totally green).

So, if you went under my 1932 RR - PI the entire undercarriage was a really dark brown primer and they then painted all the portions that you could see - it actually looked like they did it with a brush.

The original 1931 Cadillac we had with an painted frame was entirely painted - everything but the engine (and it was a lot of paint on everything with big runs in paint and .... - I would say sprayed.

And, the 1939 LaSalle Bohman & Schwartz bodied car I did with a maroon painted frame was done the same way - they shot everything once assembled (we did it all in pieces and ....).

I will post a picture of an unrestored 1932 Packard Twin Six with a painted frame.

I would not have a black painted frame on a Cord unless one of the "two" colors on the car were black.

As to pinstripe - there are restored Cord after restored Cord that are just not done right - you want to match original factory/dealer photos.

//

Sidenote: Auburns and Cords are pretty much done with an assembly line mentality (actually, Auburn may have been considerd to "get it" in fact that they had pretty advanced assembly line thinking - I attached a standard color combinations for 1931 (perhaps custom order too, but you will need to find an L-29 expert for that info. ).

autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1931-Auburn-pg01.jpg

JMM
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 18:48 by johnmereness.

• Rlamb10769
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2018 13:40 #35982 by Rlamb10769
Replied by Rlamb10769 on topic L29 judging guide
Thanks John for the info.
I am in the process of repainting my L29 and the problem I have is with the undercarriage.
I would love to know how they came off the assembly line because I find it hard to believe that they painted every part under the car to match one of the colors of the exterior. My guess they were painted black and when the first restoration was done on any L29 they looked better with one of the color on the exterior because of the openness of the front end.
I do agree they do look better then all black and I am painting my car the same way because of looks. I am thinking parts like shocks, splash guards, etc. should be black ??
Another thing is the pinstriping, I see so many different location of the stripe, which all look good but were they all striped? Question; were all L29's costume ordered or just some?
Thanks,
Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2018 04:03 - 18 Nov 2018 04:04 #35980 by johnmereness
Your Cord should be an AACA and CCCA Senior winner - I recall it being pretty well done.

There are a couple of unrestored cars out there all l be it not sure what is out there in the same year car (so do not assume something different is actually incorrect - it is just a conversation starter and same goes for a restored car and no matter how well the restoration is supposed to be done) and it would probably be worth tracking down an unrestored car and giving it a look (all be not sure there is anything in Florida area). There are a also restored cars I would not walk two feet toward to look at too - plenty of bad examples.

I think you could improve on tires for a more "period look"- ex. Firestones - you did well on your Auburn.
My guess is the finned panels for the front brake drums were originally painted

Ex.
The ACD Museum has a very nice early Brougham that is time warp,
Also, some well done restored cars - Eric LeVine showed a stunning Brougham last year at ACD Festival.

Cars like this could help:
rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am13/auction/...-by-d-ieteren-freres

rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am13/auction/...let-by-voll-ruhrbeck

rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am13/amelia-i...-29-cabriolet/293506

www.bonhams.com/auctions/22530/lot/135/
(all be it black on engine and oil filter - strongly believe someone has been there before).

JMM
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 04:04 by johnmereness.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2018 22:54 #35959 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic L29 judging
Hello Unfortunately there are no guidelines in place yet. R

• Rlamb10769
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2018 21:55 #35958 by Rlamb10769
L29 judging guide was created by Rlamb10769
Been looking on this site for L29 judging guide but I have not found anything. Am I missing it or what?
Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371