Skip to main content

Lycoming Carb question

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2017 16:26 - 08 Oct 2017 16:27 #33659 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Lycoming Carb question
They are pretty user friendly carbs. I would set aside a day (start early am and complete job to best of ability - may take some time or may be quick process) and take apart in a large oil change pan while sitting in a clean area on the floor (just in case you drop something so it will not bounce or get too far). I would clean the inside with carb cleaner (I use to buy a gallon can every now and then, but spray cans work too). And, for exterior detaining, I would use aluminum mag wheel cleaner and such as steel wool/fine wire brushes, and elbow grease. If you run into a problem, I know Ken Clark is use to working on there carbs l-29cord.com/ . I was fortunate to never need any parts for the 8-90's.

JMM
Last edit: 08 Oct 2017 16:27 by johnmereness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2017 08:09 #33657 by Ivor

• AWEllis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2017 03:21 #33656 by AWEllis
Replied by AWEllis on topic Lycoming Carb question
Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it. Your approach has the appeal of not having to locate another carburetor. I just really don’t know very much about that type. Is there anyway you could tell me how to take apart and clean it, and or give me a reference for a diagram. I would love to take it off and clean it but I’m afraid of messing it up.

Again, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply to my questions.

Adam

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2017 17:15 - 06 Oct 2017 17:17 #33646 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Lycoming Carb question
The carbs actually work really nice (and they are mostly brass, aluminum, and .... - most I have seen if not missing parts or monkey with can be made to work with very minimal effort) - stick with it and you will be more happy in the long run. And, I have seen a lot of people mess with carbs types to cause engine valve damage (too lean), car just never performs right, and/or they loose top speed, and ...... What I did find on the two 1929 Auburn 8-90's was that I had to take the carb apart and flush out with carb cleaner every spring (I kept Sta-Bil in the cars and everything always looked fine, but they were useless upon first start-up after winter storage). Also, keep in mind that if you have an electric pump that 1 lb pressure is probably about right (at least to start testing it - ie not very sophisticated needle and seat assemblies).

JMM
Last edit: 06 Oct 2017 17:17 by johnmereness.

• AWEllis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Oct 2017 03:45 #33631 by AWEllis
Lycoming Carb question was created by AWEllis
I have a 1930 Gardner which has the Lycoming MD 225 CID engine, with which came a Schebler carb.
The carb needs rebuilding but I am more interested in switching to a more reliable carb.

Can any of you guys out there tell me which carbs will substitute on that engine? Is there a Zenith or other similar that would work?
Would much appreciate some expert knowledge.

Thanks,

Adam