Skip to main content

L-29 Body Wood

• teq56
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2010 15:46 #16268 by teq56
Replied by teq56 on topic L-29 Body Wood
I know that our Weymann St Cloud Duesy was Ash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2004 00:15 #2196 by Al Hatch
Replied by Al Hatch on topic L-29 Body Wood
To all,

Don't know a helluva lot about L-29's but can say the many automobile producers of the 20's and up thru the mid 30's used white ash. Why? Because it does not split when you run a screw or hammer a nail in to it. An old woodworker friend of mine (now deceased) told me that years ago a proved it to me with a demonstration. Try it and you will see that this absolutely true.

Can't comment much on oak, hard maple, birch, etc. They said Henry Ford used scrape wood in his Fords. Who knows.

Al Hatch

• Dick Greene
  • Visitor
11 Sep 2004 03:23 #2188 by Dick Greene
Replied by Dick Greene on topic L-29 Body Wood
I had always thought that the L-29 and other Auburn-built cars used white ash as the major body wood. Now that the question has been raised, I did a little research.

Auburn Auto purchased a rather wide variety of woods. White ash seems to be a predominent species, which would indicate its use in the bodies. I had to replace a fair amount of wood frame and sill in my 1932 cabriolet many years ago. The old guy who owned the shop said it was "white ash" and ordered some, since fine-grained, knotless, straight white ash is hard to find in these parts. Much of it comes from the western slopes of the Appalachian Mountains.

I think the floorboards are oak, however, not needing the capacity to be steam bent to shapes used in bodies.

I am not sure this helps, but it is all I can tell you for a certainty.

CORDially, Dick Greene

• John T. Meredith
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2004 15:30 #2105 by John T. Meredith
Replied by John T. Meredith on topic L-29 Wood
Hi Ken,

I know this response is a bit late in coming, but I always thougth the wood on the L-29 was Hard Maple. Set me straight if I am wrong because I am about ready to replace the floor boards in my L-29. Thanks, John

• K Clark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 May 2004 00:07 #1702 by K Clark
Replied by K Clark on topic Wood
Stan
I do not , Do you remember about which issure, I'm sure I have it, and will look, but if you remember about what issue ,it may save time.
Thanks Ken

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 May 2004 19:36 #1694 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic L-29 Wood
Ken-

Do you recall the wood chart I published in the newsletter 2 or 3 years back? It listed all of the various woods that the Auburn Auto Company used, their strengths, and so on. The custom body builders could be more choosy than a production body by Central or Limousene.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• K Clark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 May 2004 02:25 #1685 by K Clark
L-29 Body Wood was created by K Clark
I am rebuilding a 1932 L-29 Cord Sedan, Using the original wood as a pattern, what there is of it. I have built four cabriolets, and have been told that these cars were all made of ash wood. I am a member of the Kennebec Valley Wood working Association,. Here in Maine . Well last month we had the monthly meeting at my shop. Several of the members were very interested in the Cord body, When I said that I was building the body of ash wood, they said that the original wood did not seem to be ash?? I was told that it was a much to fine a grain to be ash. more like maple or birch, Can anyone verify that these cars should be made of ash wood? or does it really matter, as long as it is a good strong hardwood. I like building with ash, it is a nice wood to work with, reasonably light and almost knot free.
Ken Clark