Skip to main content

L-29 Top Material

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Apr 2004 16:21 #1563 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic L-29 Top Material
The drab (greenish tan) is the only correct material for Auburn and Cord. When it was not available the judges would accept the tan on whip cord material. Black was an optional material on the '37 Cord Convertibles only. If you like some other color and don't want any point deduction in judging, use what you like! A black material with a silk moire pattern to it was special order on a few L-29 Cords and 1931 Auburns.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
08 Apr 2004 20:09 #1559 by Al Hatch
Replied by Al Hatch on topic L-29 Top Material
Ken,

Hartz is now producing a wide variety of colors now. You can even get purple if you like. The question comes in as to whether it is the correct color or not. Black and tan were the two colors that were available back when the cars were produced.

I finished my '35' Auburn phaeton and put a burgundy top on it to match the leather interior and pinstripping and wheels. In my opinion it looks real sharp but would probably get knocked down by the judges for not being black or tan. Condition obviously would be okay but the color would be questionable. Hartz is now producing a top material that is very close to what the original material looked like. It has a very small dark thread weaved into it (and I stress very small) that from a distance, gives the top a 'greenish' cast to it. It looks very good and this maybe what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Al Hatch

• K Clark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2004 01:38 #1548 by K Clark
L-29 Top Material was created by K Clark
Can anyone tell me if there were any other color top materials available besides the standard TAN or Black. I'm restoring a 1932 Sedan, The car will be two-tone green. and I wanted to know if a green top would be appropiate.
Ken Clark