Skip to main content

Did some or all L-29 Cords have an asbestos wraped muffler?

• Dick Teeter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2004 17:59 #1432 by Dick Teeter
Ken's comments indicate that somewhere around June 26, 1930, the L-29s were being produced with the added sound and heat insulation. Our Brougham, designated a 1931, is unit 3110, was all original when we bought it, and as stated earlier, had no evidance of the muffler wrap.
The following statement made by Paul Bryant is in the Certification Document for our L-29 and is shown here in it's complete form to back-up my claim that our L-29 never had the insulation wrap when it left the factory:

HISTORY OF DICK TEETER'S L-29 BROUGHAM
L-29 CORD production during the month of May 1930 began with unit 3027 and ended on no. 3286 so that 259 L-29's were completed. Dick Teeter's Brougham is unit no. 3110, therefore it was the 83rd L-29 constructed in May of 1930. There were only 25 Brougham bodies mounted that month. Only 617 out of 5010 L-29's had the Sport Sedan body. The A-C-D Club Roster shows only 12 Broughams. Thus this body style was and still is the rarest of all L-29 CORD automobiles. Dick Teeter is to be congratulated for the most perfect and authentic restoration known to date.

Conclusion: Our L-29 produced in early May 1930 was out the door BEFORE they started adding the wrap per the June 26, 1930 Service Bulletin. Also, the one point deducted at the 2002 Auburn Meet for no wrap on our L-29 muffler was a judging error. I have retrofitted our Brougham per Service Bulletin recommendations.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion.

Dick Teeter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
18 Mar 2004 02:40 #1430 by
For all L-29 owners information.
I was just reading the service bulletins that I have for the L-29 Cords. This one Dated June 26, 1930. Subject; Body insulation
New Cords in production are being equipped with a practical sound and heat insulation system. This material has been designed so that it may be installed in the field in approximately two hours.
Many owners of earlier models will want this improvement made on their cars. As a matter of policy, we will furnish the necessary parts listed belowat a net price of 6.35 per car. ( order parts for type of body used on car.
M1-5066 Muffler Insulator ( Asbestos )
M1-5069 Muffler Insulator cover
M1-5070 Muffler Insulator cover Clamp

G8-5136 Dash Silencer R.H. - Sed. and Bro.
G8-5137 Dash Silencer L.H. - Sed. and Bro.
G8-5138 Dash Silencer R.H. - Cabr. and Conv.
G8-5139 Dash Silencer L.H. - Cabr. and Conv.
G8-5135 Rear Floor Center Felt - Sedan
G8-5134 Rear Floor Side Felt - Bro. and Conv.
G8-5133 Rear Floor Side Felt - Bro. and Conv.
G8-5140 Rear Floor Side Felt - Sedan
G8-5141 Front Floor Felt - Sed. and Bro.
G8-5142 Front Floor Felt - Cabr. and Conv.
G8-5125 Engine Insulator - Upper
G8-5126 Engine Insulator - Lower

When installing this material, a piece of anti squeak should be used to separate the muffler and tail pipe fitting from the frame

Thanks Ken Clark

• Dick Teeter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2003 01:03 #707 by Dick Teeter
Stan,

I just finished talking to Mike Huffman, L-29 Head Judge. He said that when he had judged Engine and Chassis, they never took off points for missing muffler wrap. He further stated that he was not aware of points being taken off last year or that this item had become a problem. I told him that I am not convinced that all L-29s (2926903 and up if you prefer) left the factory with the wrap. Mike said he "tended to agree" with this. We need to remember that there were variations between L-29s and that these were not "Made to Spec." autos. Just because the Master Parts Book said it was so, that doesn't mean it actually applied to all L-29s as delivered. Furthermore, the wrap is not necessary for proper functioning of the car. When something is this questionable, the only logical way to judge it is to agree that variations like this are OK. This will probably be a topic for discussion at the L-29 Judges meeting.

When our L-29 took Best of Show in 1993, I remember you stating "we now have our standard". Thanks, but this isn't really so. A more applicable remark would have been "all things are correct for that car but not necessarily correct for all L-29s". Remember that our Brougham chasssis was painted the original Deset Sand even though it was thought that all closed car chassis were black. The top of the frame rails and gas tank top were original desert Sand and Dick Green saw this before it was restored. This is a major variation from "Spec". Aren't L-29s fun?

Dick
___________________________________________________________-

To all L-29 Owners,

I just returned from the ACD Labor Day Meet. There I observed an unrestored original L-29, however, muffler had all NEW insulation, steel cover and 3 straps to hold all in place. I was NOT able to find an all original wrap installation. Since some restored cars had the wrap, here is my suggestion:

To judges, be realistic when you look at the value of a point. The total exhaust system, authenticy (5) plus condition (6), is worth 11 points and includes exhaust manifold, heat valve, all the way back including tailpipe. All exhaust components are probably worth 5 to 6 thousand dollars while the wrap installation is worth about one hundred dollars or two percent of the total. So if you must, deduct two percent of 11 points or 0.2 points and be done with it.

To car owners, add the wrap installation and you will not have to concern yourself over losing a point due to unfair judging. We now have a new standard that I think is still questionable.

Dick

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2003 20:55 #706 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic RE: L-29 Muffler Wrap
Dick-

To answer your question, I went to the master parts book 1925 - Jan 1, 1933 Auburn and Cord. For the later L-29 with the rear muffler which it recommends for all service M1-5068 made up of M1-5047 muffler, M1-5066 asbestos insulator, M1-5069 cover, muffler insulator and M1-5070 insulator cover clamp! None of the early or late L-29 exhaust parts interchange with Auburn numbers. All the later parts were listed as changing at 2926903.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Dick Teeter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2003 05:45 #702 by Dick Teeter
I've been looking at L-29's for over 20 years, some of them original, unrestored cars, and have never seen any signs of them ever having an asbestos muffler wrap. Even an all original early 1929 car that had the the muffler along side the engine, right under the carb and fuel pump, had none. My 1931 had the original muffler, cut out and all, and no signs of the wrap. I really don't think that E.L.Cord would have spent the money to do this at that point in time if it wasn't necessary. At the Labor Day meet at Auburn, 2002, I received input, much to my surprise, that at least one car was docked one point for not having this. There may have been more. I think this is unfair judging and will continue to think so until someone shows me proof that all L-29s had the wrap when they left the factory!!! I would appreciate any comments and an answer to the following two questions: Do you think all L-29s left the factory with an asbestos muffler wrap or maybe just a few? If just a few, would you agree that with or without the wrap is acceptable?
Thanks. Dick Teeter, Cord L-29 Technician