Skip to main content

L-29 engine color

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 May 2022 03:22 #45320 by rickekd
Replied by rickekd on topic L-29 engine color
Hi thanks for the reply. I needed to update this post anyway so this is a good excuse for me to do some typing (not my favorite thing).
Who ever or when ever the yellow paint was applied the metal was clean all the way down no green under the yellow. This goes for the engine transmission and differential. So I am going to guess all the parts were stripped to bare metal. Nothing looks to be sand blasted so I am going with chemical stripping of some kind.
It is always a bit of fun to try and out guess something that is 90+ years old.
Also having worked at an engine manufacture for 25+ years I have seen some engines go out the door not in the company color so nothing surprises me when it comes to things like this.
Kory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
01 May 2022 17:15 #45315 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic L-29 engine color
The ACD Parts Company /Dallas Winslow rebuilt engines probably up until 1960's (they painted a lot of Auburns machinery Grey verses correct green) and who knows their favorite Cord color. There are also some Duesenberg engines in Red for whatever reason (maybe just looks faster). There were cars with painted under-carriages and not much known on how those were painted. Plus maybe someone just liked yellow art some point of time (or had yellow paint handy).

JMM

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Apr 2022 21:55 #45255 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic L-29 engine color
Just as an example of what can happened, although different engines. In 1967 I rebuilt a 1963 Corvette engine and painted it yellow! In 1968 I rebuilt a 1965 Dodge 426 engine and painted it candy apple blue. If those two cars are still around, I'll bet the current owners are scratching their heads.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2022 18:24 #45253 by rickekd
Mike, Thanks for the reply. I will have to say that the engine in question had been apart as some time because I see a lot of evidence of nuts and bolts having been removed and replaced. I just found it kind of funny that the yellow was the paint all the way down to the base metal. I suppose the engine could have been hot tanked and then repainted although I don't know why they would have used yellow. I haven't cleaned the transmission and differential yet but I will post an update when I do to let you all know what it's base color was. Thanks for the replies.
Kory

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
24 Apr 2022 15:16 #45251 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic L-29 engine color
Thanks Mike !

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Apr 2022 04:25 #45243 by mikespeed35
No Curt, it is what I would call John Deer Green. If you buy Auburn Green from Hirsch that is the color for L-29 engines, but obviously not the color for Auburn engines.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• John Meredith
  • Registered
More
23 Apr 2022 16:16 #45232 by John Meredith
Replied by John Meredith on topic L-29 engine color
I am pretty certain that the yellow L-29 engine that I have is a rebuild. I have two other L-29 engines and they are green!

John

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
23 Apr 2022 14:59 #45230 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic L-29 engine color
Mike, is that the same green that the 31-36 Auburn was painted?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Apr 2022 04:33 #45229 by mikespeed35
All information I have ever heard says engines were green and painted by Lycoming.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2022 00:43 #45201 by rickekd
John, Thanks for the reply. It is kind of interesting that you had a original dark blue color. I wonder if the factory got the engines with no paint and then painted them the same color as the frame and car.
Kory

• John Meredith
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2022 14:37 #45200 by John Meredith
Replied by John Meredith on topic L-29 engine color
I have a yellow L-29 engine. I think this was a re-spray color from an engine rebuild. However, the L-29 I have was painted yellow at one time (over the original dark blue color). Interestingly, there are sections of the frame that have yellow over-spray too. The engine originated from California and so did the Cord l-29 Brougham I have. I think the yellow engine is the original engine to this Cord.

Hope this helps.
John Meredith
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2022 11:02 #45199 by rickekd
L-29 engine color was created by rickekd
Anyone ever seen a yellow L-29 engine? I have been cleaning up parts form my donor engine and I have found the base coat on them to be bright yellow. At first I thought it was just a coat in-between the green it was painted and the factory paint. However when I got to parts that were well adhered I find the yellow goes all the way to the base metal. I took a quick picture of the oil pan as I was cleaning it.
Kory
Attachments: