Skip to main content

Rebuild parts and numbers?

• Pathirana11a
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2023 06:35 - 02 Nov 2023 15:23 #47859 by Pathirana11a
Replied by Pathirana11a on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?
I read the last service bulletin in the shop manual. it looks like in1933 they started using a cork graphite friction disk. As the ones I removed were all stuck to the plates and broken I know they were not working and I thought they were just dirty cork. pikashow download

Last edit: 02 Nov 2023 15:23 by Pathirana11a.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 May 2022 04:14 #45382 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?
I wrote an article in The Newsletter some time back about using a modern harmonic balancer on the L-29. You can probably find it in the Newsletter zip drive. I have this on my car.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 May 2022 02:06 #45339 by rickekd
Replied by rickekd on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?
Hi All,
I am back with another question. I took apart my damper and was going to cut and put cork in until I read the last service bulletin in the shop manual. it looks like in1933 they started using a cork graphite friction disk. As the ones I removed were all stuck to the plates and broken I know they were not working and I thought they were just dirty cork.
I am going to presume the new rubber impregnated gasket material I was about to use is incorrect.
So what should I use?
Thanks in advance, Kory

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Apr 2022 02:56 #45184 by rickekd
Thanks for the reply Mike. At this point I have opened up the engine I got from Tom and I am using it for a donor to get mine together for Labor day. All is looking good and I will be going back together soon.
Kory

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Apr 2022 19:14 #45176 by mikespeed35
I have been told the chances of success
with a repair you are contemplating is 50%. Not very good odds when you don't find out until you get the motor running' then the failure!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2022 00:42 #45114 by rickekd
All any thoughts on cracked valve seats in the block. I found two cracked exhaust seats when I was grinding the valve seats this afternoon. Looks like they are progressing across the top of the block and down towards the guides. I am thinking this engine is starting to look like a long term project that is going to need to see a block wielding shop, if even that works. The only good part I have now is the block skirt on this engine. The one I got from Tom is looking a lot better all the time mice nests and all.
Kory
Kory

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Mar 2022 03:55 #45027 by mikespeed35
Thanks Kory.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2022 12:14 #45019 by rickekd
Rickett I am in the directory in ILL

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Mar 2022 04:40 #45018 by mikespeed35
I keep records of this sort of stuff. Kory, is it possible to get your last name?
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2022 18:23 #45013 by rickekd
Thanks for the tip. I bit the bullet and bought Tom's engine and trans. Got it home Friday and have all ready pulled the covers. It is a lot cleaner than mine inside so far with the exception of the fluff that Micky Mouse stuffed in the cam and water passages. Over all a great donor engine. So far everything looks in good shape. If the rod and main bearings are in good shape I would say it would start right up minus the fluff. Dose raise a question in my mind as to if I should continue rebuilding mine or just swap out for now and keep mine as a later rebuild project. Always a danger when I do things like that as I often do not get back to them.
Attachments:

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2022 11:15 #44966 by auburn653
Replied by auburn653 on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2022 02:13 #44964 by rickekd
All, Had a chance to do some more cleaning and measuring today. I found a few things I am not real prod of. First when I was wiping off the pistons I found a cracked skirt. Near as I can tell it was done the last time the engine had rings put in. There is a nice hicky on the opposite side of the piston. Pics attached. So now I am on the lookout for a new or good used standard piston That is the bad news the good news is I dial bored the cylinders and they are stock bore round and not tapered. Haveing worked on cars and trucks I find the condition of the cylinders to be great. I wonder did they harden the skirt area of the block. To be honest they look more like a Cat liner than parent bore cylinders.

The other bad news is I found the tranny case had been broken and rewelded. It looks like all of the damage was outside of the inner case so I am not too concerned about gear alignment from the wielding. I still have to find the serial number of the tranny it must be under a layer of paint so I can identify a cluster gear.
Kory

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
27 Feb 2022 22:51 #44963 by mikespeed35
Yes Pete, thank you. To say correctly I WOULD recommend babbitt.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2022 14:31 #44961 by rickekd
Mike sorry I should have started my reply with a Thank you for your reply. I am gaining a lot of knowledge from you and others and a student should always show grace in their replies.
Kory

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2022 14:27 #44960 by rickekd
Hi Mike,
The question about the rod bearings was more in the vain of I have heard of rods being reworked to use a shell that was similar to the main bearings. It is a custom made shell that is made out of bronze and then has a babbitt layer on it. They were generally held with a pin that was drilled onto the rod and cap. This was something that was started in the early years of automotive between pored babbitt and what we have now.
As to wielding the rod I have no interest in that as it would seriously compromise the grain structure a material that is under a lot of load.

I did not mean to imply that there was anything wrong with pored babbitt bearings I was just checking to see if there were any upgrades that were being done.
Kory

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2022 03:52 #44952 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?
Mike do you mean you WOULD recommend babbit?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2022 03:33 #44951 by mikespeed35
I would not recommend Babbit. The sides of the rods are wrapped with Babbitt to make up the side clearance for the rods. If you were to put inserts in, you would have to weld up the sides of the rods to make the side clearance. Have no idea what welding on rods would do to the metallurgy of the rods. The +3 could be the pistons are .003 over standard.
CORDially MIke

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Feb 2022 11:47 #44950 by rickekd
All,
Well I got a chance to clean up the block, tranny, and diff with the pressure washer day before yesterday. Boy what a mess. I don't know how many years this thing was together but all of the fluids were like soft wax with coal dust mixed in.
Last night I had a little time after work and cleaned the pistons in the solvent bath and was surprised to find the engine number stamped on the rods. I was also surprised when I finally got the carbon off the piston top to see numbers on it mostly over stamped. (See pictures) I am curious about the + number on top it looks like a 0 over top of a 3. I set up my dial boar gauge last night I will know more about the bore today.

Now for the bad news. I found several rod bearings cracking So todays question is are these rods best done as babbitt or can you have them redone and put inserts in? Seems like I have heard of this for the 810/812 cord engine however I am not sure about this one. Also who is a good source for main bearings.
Kory

Attachments:

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2022 05:25 #44949 by mikespeed35
I haven't forgot about the high-speed ring and pinion set. The party said they would let me know if they want to sell.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: rickekd

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Feb 2022 11:46 #44944 by rickekd
Not yet last night was just tear down. However there was no wear step in the cylinder at the top just a carbon ring. Also every rod bearing had a shim. It was a small one but a shim between the cap and rod. I need to do a little more checking today but the second and third rings were stuck on every piston. The first and fourth were fine. I kind of wondered about only putting on three rings to keep the rings loose. I had a old Ford pickup years ago I did that to to keep it from sticking rings.
Kory

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Feb 2022 05:23 - 22 Feb 2022 05:25 #44942 by mikespeed35
You may not believe it, but they go in by the crankshaft just like they are supposed to come out. The crank has to be rotated as you remove or install them. I will check if the gear is available and let you know. Did you check the tapper and out of round of the cylinders? Is the bore standard?
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 22 Feb 2022 05:25 by mikespeed35.

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Feb 2022 02:02 #44940 by rickekd
Well for those who may be out there I have the engine out and apart. For the most part is is in good shape for a 92 year old car, I found two bad rod bearings . Looks like there may have been an air pocket in the babbitt in one and some fatigue in the other near the top oil hole. The pistons and cylinders were in good shape. Wont need pistons but I will need rings. The fan drive spline is pretty bad and will need rebuilt or replaced. I haven't got the valves out yet but I plan on replacing them. Timing chain looks like it has about all of the adjustment out of it so it will need replaced.
I do have one question for anyone that would care to chime in. How do you get the pistons back into the engine. I gave up trying to take them out past the crank like it says in the service manual and I just pulled the block apart. Not the right way to do it I am sure however it was getting late in the day and I just wanted to get a look at the bearings and see how bad things were.
I probably should start a new thread on this as it is getting more in to the how to questions than where to get parts.
Kory

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Feb 2022 01:49 #44939 by rickekd
Mike I am interested in the gear. I can give you a call or you can call me I am in the directory. Kory Rickett in ILL

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2022 23:41 #44925 by mikespeed35
Your gear is the common one. You should get a 3:91 gear. You would be much happier with the car with a change. I might know of one available if you are interested. There were three transmission main shafts used so you would need to know what serial number your trans is to try and get the right parts. It can be found on the right ear of the case that extend over the frame.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2022 02:02 #44924 by rickekd
Mike, You made a comment about getting the high speed ring and pinion gears. I just got mine apart today it looks like I have the 4.81 to 1 gears in mine. Also when I was removing the bolts I noticed the transmission cluster gear is getting pretty worn on the second gear back from the front of the case.
I did a little looking out on the forum and did not find any discussion on where to find these parts or who rebuilds them. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Kory

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2022 17:12 #44906 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?

rickekd wrote: JMM,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I am on a path to do just that. The only wild card is the windshield right now. I will say every time I work on it I find another part that was cleverly repaired. Maybe not factory correct but it did work.
Kory

Cleverly repaired items is how I have found my 37 812 Cord. Someone gas welded another rear bumper bracket to the original bracket. I took pictures and posted them to the 812 forum and someone else pointed it out to me. Then the oil pan had a piece of 1/2 inch angle iron gas welded to the entire pan bolt rail. Only idea I can think of is someone was trying to solve an oil leak. Then the instrument dash lights never had the rheostat switch wired in. Even the bracket had the mounting eras cut off. I was able to buy another bracket but the rheostat switch was nearly impossible to find. One club member has an original NOS switch but wants $500.00 for it. I researched what Auburn purchased them for and in turn sold them for. They paid .16 cents and sold them to us for .95 cents in 1937. Randy Ema has the original Auburn catalogs telling what bin location and who they bought from and the cost. He has an amazing treasure of ACD information. Its amazing how early mechanics tried to "fix" a problem but usually made thing worse in the long run. Cord cars are all the same.. But they are all different. Towards the end of the factory run they had to put what they had on the cars during assembly.

Gary Parsons

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2022 16:19 #44905 by rickekd
JMM,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I am on a path to do just that. The only wild card is the windshield right now. I will say every time I work on it I find another part that was cleverly repaired. Maybe not factory correct but it did work.
Kory

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2022 23:44 #44901 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?
Try to get the belt molding or whatever you need to properly rework the back end ionto a brougham or sedan and a proper viser for over the windshield in the front (and then once found take a deep breath and try best thereafter with whatever else you need to get body straightened around).

JMM

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2022 23:28 #44891 by rickekd
Yes it is, It is a home made deal however they did put a lot of work into it and if you didn't know better you would have thought the car was made that way. With any luck it will be gone by the reunion this fall.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2022 23:02 #44890 by mikespeed35
The V windshield is quite interesting.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2022 22:45 #44888 by rickekd
Thank you, I have already been in touch with him about body parts. It is going to be a fairly long list at the rate things are going.
Kory

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2022 19:16 #44884 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?
Ken Clark is the go to guy for L-29 parts. He is in the directory.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2022 18:24 #44883 by rickekd
Mike, Thanks for the info it helps a lot. I will post some pictures of my progress. Mostly I have been taking apart the roof and headliner to see what all is needed to fix the body. I am thinking that is going to be the one that will have the longest lead time to find items needed so I started there first. Now I am go on to the mechanical which I can do quickly as that is what I have done for several years as a job.
Kory

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2022 21:19 #44827 by mikespeed35
Once you get inside the engine check the bottom plate on the oil pump. It is made of die cast and can develop many cracks as old die cast tends to do. Have a steel one made to replace it if necessary.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2022 17:22 #44825 by mikespeed35
Yes, water side cover screws go all the way through. It is common for them to brake off. Replace with SS. You will probably find the water distribution cover on the inside of the water side cover is rusted away. Figure on finding a new cover. Be sure and check cam bearings. If you are going that far put in bigger radiator core by extending out to match the tank in the front. Also, a high-speed ring and pinion gear since you are going that far. There is a real problem with getting pistons right know so be prepared for a long wait. When you are done you will be nicely rewarded with a fine running and beautifully designed car.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2022 14:04 #44821 by rickekd
Thanks for the reply on the carburetor. I just pulled it last night and have it heading for clean up and rebuild this weekend. Overall it looks pretty good so I hope I don't find too much wrong inside.
After I pulled the carb and fule pump I started on the engine side covers. The valve covers came easy however the water cover bolts don't want to budge. I have a feeling I am going to have to add heat. Already had one bolt break off so I am not too keen on going after anymore bolts until I can get some heat or pretreating oil on them. I have the bad feeling they are through holes to the water jacket and they may be too long and corroded in place.
Anyway after looking inside I have decided to pull the engine and do a rebuild. The old mechanic in me just cant patch it up and make it run when I know looking inside it needs rebuilt. 90+ year old gaskets and oil caked up black as coal and gunk a half inch deep around the lifters is a bad sign.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2022 05:01 #44788 by mikespeed35
A fix I learned from an expert Schebler old timer for the needle and seat is if it is leaking take the seat out of the carb., put it on a solid surface and "GENTLY" tap the needle into the seat. THATS GENTLY.
CORDially MIke

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2022 23:41 #44784 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?
Carb is not really a rebuild kit kind of thing - perhaps a new needle & seat is in order or some other part may be bad, but pretty much it is a clean it up kind of thing and perhaps a replacement shaft or rebush of some part.

JMM

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Jan 2022 11:55 #44670 by rickekd
Mike, Thanks a lot this will save a lot of time on the internet looking at seal specks.
Kory

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jan 2022 06:18 #44668 by mikespeed35
The seals I use are National 470954 and the bushing can be gotten at McMaster Carr. Be sure and put some water pump grease behind each seal to lub. the lip and blue Loctite on the gland threads or water will leak by the threads since there is no packing used. Hope this helps.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2022 14:17 #44658 by rickekd
Mike thanks for the reply. I do most of my own machine work so a new WP shaft wont be a problem. What seal number do you use for the water pump gland nuts?
Ken is my next stop on my parts search.
Thanks Kory

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Jan 2022 05:19 - 15 Jan 2022 05:20 #44656 by mikespeed35
I don't know how handy you are but I make my own gaskets except the head gasket which can be bought from Olsons Gaskets. The wheel Cyl. and master cyl. will probably need to be sleaved. There are many places that do that. The pistons in the wheel cyl. are Alum and sometimes are so corroded they need to be replaced. Make sure who ever you send the wheel Cyl. to to sleave them has new pistons. I have had them say they did and when I got them back they used the old pistons. I don't know of any one making carb. kits. Not many gaskets in carb. Water pump is just a matter of replacing the shaft and the bronze bushing. I machine the gland nut for a oil seal instead of using packing. As Curt said Ken Clark can probably help you with all of this.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 15 Jan 2022 05:20 by mikespeed35.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
14 Jan 2022 23:58 #44655 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Rebuild parts and numbers?
Contact Ken Clark in Maine. He is in the ACD directory. He is a L-29 guy.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Jan 2022 18:08 #44654 by rickekd
Rebuild parts and numbers? was created by rickekd
Ok, while I have been a ACD member for a few years I haven't been a big forum user. Mostly I dig through and read up on what I want to know and move on. Now I am getting my L-29 ready for this years Meet in Auburn it has been setting patiently for the last four years since I drug it home for me to get to it.
So now I am looking for part numbers and sources for my L-29 gaskets and brakes.

I need to rebuild the brakes, drop the oil pan and replace the gasket, probably pull the head and check out the rings, bearings and valves while I am at it. Also the tranny is leaking from the front dif cover and possibly the input shaft.

So I need:
oil pan gasket
valve side plate gasket
water side plate gasket
wheel cylinder kits
head gasket
differential cover gasket
update advice on valves and seats (might as well do them while I am there)
rebuild kit for carb
rebuild water pump
And probably a bunch of stuff I am not aware of yet.

I attached a couple of photos one of the car and another of the S/N and engine no.
Thanks for any input you folks can give.
Kory
Attachments: