Skip to main content

How to remove the water pump from an L29?

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Jul 2021 03:25 - 29 Jul 2021 03:25 #43592 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic How to remove the water pump from an L29?
Glad I was on time!! I don't think sealed bearings are sealed against water seeping through, just keeping lub. in. I'm sure I will be corrected if that is not true.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 29 Jul 2021 03:25 by mikespeed35.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Jul 2021 03:15 #43591 by Joel
Mike, thank you! You were not too late, thankfully. I didn't pry or try too hard. I have learned the hard way over the years to stop and seek information rather than use force. It is leaking around the shaft at the front. I removed the gland nut enough to slide it forward on the shaft and reveal what looks like a sealed ball bearing behind it. I am not sure if it is leaking through the bearing or around it. I was thinking I'd remove it, disassemble it, and figure out what to do. Maybe replace the bearing or put sealant around it. On second thought though, I might start by putting some packing in it and see if it quits leaking. We are bringing it to the Pistons and Ponies event on Sunday, so I don't have a lot of time.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Jul 2021 04:02 - 28 Jul 2021 04:06 #43579 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic How to remove the water pump from an L29?
Joel STOP. Put the bolts back on the engine block. If you continue you will drop the timing chain inside the case and will have to remove the engine to get it back on!!! The timing chain runs the water pump. The way to remove the pump is to split the pump at the impeller. The shaft has a slot that engages with the drive gear that is driven by the timing chain and once the pump is split the shaft will come out. Then you can replace shaft, bushing, or what ever you need to. I machine the gland nuts for modern seals and don't use packing. Hope I'm not too late. You still might have a problem if the automatic tensioner has tightened up a notch making the chain shorter and not allowing you to put the bolts back on, hope not.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 28 Jul 2021 04:06 by mikespeed35.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, Joel

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Jul 2021 03:40 #43576 by Joel
Hi, I am trying to remove the water pump. I have removed the hoses, the coupler to the generator, the Bjur lines, the 3 nuts and 1 bolt that hold it to the engine block. I can wiggle it, but it wont slide back off of the 3 studs. Is there something that holds the shaft in, or what am I missing? Thanks, Joel

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img