Skip to main content

Sheet 4 Pic's No JBA 158, 159, 160 & 161 .... Cord Cabriolet

• Roads2run
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2019 22:32 #37678 by Roads2run
Interesting pictures Terry posted, and for all those seeking authenticity information, note the direction of the rear bumper guards, e.g. both up... Tom Hartz

Roads2run

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2019 21:48 #37668 by Terry Cockerell
Thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments Jack. Yes it is "Hallowed ground" and incredible that so much still exists.
Not all of us are history buffs as well as being ACD people but it is to me sensational to be able to visit the place.
I only wish that I could bring my own Cord back and drive all around Connersville then up to Auburn for the Renuion.
It's just that my numbers have not yet come up.
Yes Cheers from Down Under,
Terry, Gai and Zoey.

T cockerell

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2019 12:27 #37662 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Sheet 4 Pic's No JBA 158, 159, 160 & 161 .... Cord Cabriolet
Thanks, Terry Cockerell , for working up and posting this great summary of the Then & Now status of the Connersville, Indiana , USA manufacturing facilities of The Auburn Automobile Company. It is exciting to be able to view so much of the original "hallowed industrial ground" after the passage of so many decades, We hope things are well with you Down Under, Best Regards from Jack and Leslie Richards in Chesterfield, Missouri.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2019 05:54 - 03 Jul 2019 05:58 #37658 by Terry Cockerell
This series of four pictures was probably taken on the same day and show the sides as well as the front and rear of the car with the hood up as well as down.
JBA 158 was taken outside of the Factory on West 18th Street and shows the RHS of the car. The Head Office building can be seen in the background.
JBA 159 was also taken outside the Factory on West 18th Street and shows the 3/4 front view of the car.
JBA 160 was taken in a roadway on the western side of the Head Office building, you can see one of the Head Office building side windows in the background . The building directly behind the cabriolet is not shown on the Factory Plan circa 1929 however I have marked an X on the roof of the Head Office building to pin point the actual location.
JBA 161 was taken in West 18th Street looking east and shows the 3/4 rear view of the cabriolet. The building on the RHS with the saw tooth roof profile is still there and fitted with a flat topped facade. This building is owned by EW Brockman .
Pictorial view of Auburn Automobile Company, Connersville.
This picture has been marked up to show what still exists from the original complex
The RED buildings on the northern side are derelict.
ContainerKraft operate in the buildings with the "White" roofs plus later additions.
The two long "Green" buildings were demolished in the 1960s The vehicle assembly line ran through the longest building and was around 1,500 feet long.
All of the "Pale Brown" buildings east of the Head Office were demolished with new buildings erected on the same footprint.
It really is amazing what still exists, especially when a lot of experts had said "There is nothing to see in Connersville."

T cockerell
Last edit: 03 Jul 2019 05:58 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding another picture