Skip to main content

New to Cords

More
11 Jul 2020 11:55 #40502 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic New to Cords
I'm personally ok with 1940s and 50s conversions. Some were very well done. The cost of going back may not make any sense. This one in particular seems to be a good example of an early RWD conversion:
forums.aaca.org/topic/338190-1936-cord-phaeton-sale-or-trade

I have no interest in anything with a crate motor in it and in general like my cars bone stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
11 Jul 2020 04:18 #40499 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic New to Cords
There is a spectrum of humanity out there with Cords. Some have modern drive trains including RWD and FWD.
For me personally what is the point of having an 84 year old car if it does not drive like it did when new? Apart from minor modifications to improve reliability I believe such cars should be kept as original as possible.
However it really depends upon what you want and are happy with.

T cockerell

• rg171352
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2020 23:56 #40498 by rg171352
Replied by rg171352 on topic New to Cords
I just had a notification that there was a reply. Apparently I missed 4 pages of them! Thank you all for your responses.

How do most people in the club view old RWD conversions?

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2020 23:42 - 10 Jul 2020 23:44 #40497 by Terry Cockerell
I know this is not quite what you were referring to however I figured it should be shared with the members. I found it by chance. It appears to have had the wheel base shortened. Not exactly my cup of tea or rum and coke!

T cockerell
Last edit: 10 Jul 2020 23:44 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2020 04:12 #40448 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic New to Cords
That's called talent. No stand ins, No blue screens, no computer generated whatever!!
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, johnmereness

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2020 16:52 #40444 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic New to Cords
Sort of like Potato - Potato and Tomato - Tomato.

JMM

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
27 Jun 2020 02:38 #40432 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic New to Cords
Hi Mike: Blair’s passing was a real tragedy. He was flying into the Hershey Fall meet on a small private plane owned and flown by anotherACD club member Bud, flying in bad weather and they crashed into a hilltop just short of Hershey and they both were killed. I think they were something like 20’ short of clearing the mountain top. I lost track of what happened to his L29, his otherCords and his Cadillac. Rest In Peace Blair and Bud.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
27 Jun 2020 01:55 #40431 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic New to Cords
Been to Bishop with my L-29 to see your close friends wife at the theater after he had passed.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Roads2run
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2020 18:10 #40427 by Roads2run
Replied by Roads2run on topic New to Cords
The term "Sportsman" is thought to have originated from a 1937 catalog calling it a "Sportsman's Convertible Coupe" while referring to the model as a Convertible Coupe elsewhere, and sometimes a "cabriolet" in some of the engineering notes. See Josh Malls book, The Timeless Classic. If you want to start a spirited discussion with a purist call it a Sportsman and you are guaranteed to get a strong reaction. Tom Hartz

Roads2run
The following user(s) said Thank You: rg171352

More
26 Jun 2020 12:25 #40426 by alsancle
The coachbuild terms are a good guide, but the individual manufacturers took lots of liberties with the nomenclature. The classic example being the Packard "coupe roadster" which was clearly a convertible coupe to most people. I own a Stearns Knight with a Brunn Victoria body that they were selling as a "Convertible Coupe for 4".
For the most part, people will agree that Phaetons, Roadsters and Touring cars have no roll up windows. A phaeton is 5 passenger, a touring car is 7, and a sport phaeton is a dual cowl. But there are exceptions to even the ones we could all agree on.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2020 08:24 - 26 Jun 2020 08:25 #40425 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Tim, looking at Coach Built definitions, cabriolet means a vehicle with a removable top. I get the feeling the Factory was dressing up the terminology by saying convertible coupe simply because a coupe has a fixed roof.
A roadster is much the same as a cabriolet except that roadsters have a bench seat according to the Coach Built definition and no windows to wind up.
Just my 2 cents worth!

T cockerell
Last edit: 26 Jun 2020 08:25 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text

More
25 Jun 2020 23:13 #40423 by alsancle
Thanks. I wonder where "cabriolet" got stuck in my head?

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2020 22:15 #40422 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic New to Cords
Not a cabriolet, not a sportsman, but a convertible coupe. That was the factory name.
Tim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

More
25 Jun 2020 12:10 #40421 by alsancle
It is a shame there were not more coupes. A 2 door sedan based on the phaeton body would have been cool too.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2020 08:33 - 25 Jun 2020 08:43 #40420 by Terry Cockerell
Updating my comments about Cords with metal roofs I think the coupes are the most desirable. I think they only made three . Bob McEwan's would have done me if I had the extra funds available at the time. It really is a pity that the Factory didn't make more of them.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jun 2020 08:43 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2020 00:09 #40419 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic New to Cords
If you are talking about the Berline sedans, I’ve worked on a couple of them and their quite unusual. There was a club member in Suffield Ct. that had a couple of them. One was a supercharged Berline that he acquired from the Millers in Pa. He also acquired a real rough standard Berline from White Post Restorations. it broke in half but I stripped the complete divider and also intercom system and brought it to Hershey to give to a close friend from Bishop Cal. who was restoring one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
24 Jun 2020 23:49 #40418 by alsancle
My all time favorite 810/812 was a long wheelbase Beverly with the armchairs and the divider window. It had pipes but I don't remember if it was blown. I saw it when I was around 10 years old at the reunion, which would have been 73/74 time frame. It stuck in my head for years. Have never seen another one in person.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jun 2020 21:19 - 24 Jun 2020 21:50 #40417 by Terry Cockerell
Why all the hype about rag tops?
Too much sun gives you skin cancer.
Sedans are much better cars, you can enjoy the ride in the shade without the tedious job of raising or lowering the top .......... especially if you are on your own.
Josh Malks was a firm supporter of S.O.S. .............. Save Our Sedans! So am I.
Too many of them died and were dismembered to keep the other kind on the road.
Honestly all Cords are wonderful cars.

T cockerell
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 21:50 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, rg171352

More
24 Jun 2020 13:09 #40414 by alsancle
The age old collector car issue where you are much better off spending 100k more for a nice car. Of course, it is the cheapest way to say you own an open Cord.
Btw, probably just me but I always say "Cabriolet" and not "Sportsman" since the latter was never used by the company to describe the car.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2020 13:41 #40387 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic New to Cords
Jim is correct:

This is an inducement to get people to bid at an auction with a company that really does not specialize in pre-war cars (ie people will think they can get it cheap and are more likely to bid). RE: Is there any particular reason why the 810 sold at the Petrozzini Estate auction was estimated to sell between 15,000 and 20,000 to finally sell for $42,900? Here is the link to the car: www.mecum.com/lots/CH1019-389017/1936-co...7-nzld41TCntOwNVtf-w Is there really a $15,000 Cord Phaeton?

JMM

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2020 01:30 #40381 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic New to Cords
Hi RG, Welcome to the club and the forums. I'll answer your last question first - There are no $15,000 Cord Phaetons except ones that are only good for some parts. These days a decent driver is going for $100K to $135K.

The best way to learn about these cars is to come to the ACD Meets and talk with the owners. There are a lot to these cars and a lot to maintain. What part of the country are you located in? There are not a lot of shows going on this year and maybe we can hook you up with someone in your area.

I do know where there is a good driver that might be for sale. PM me if you are interested or if you have questions, I'll be glad to answer them.
Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S, rg171352

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2020 00:24 #40380 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic New to Cords
This car needs restoration and finding some missing parts. It actually looks more like a 37 812 car than an 810 36 car. I think the price was correct.

Gary Parsons

• rg171352
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Jun 2020 12:24 #40374 by rg171352
New to Cords was created by rg171352
I am new to these cars, unless you count beginning the ERTL 1:12 scale Sportsman and building the small Monogram Phaeton when I was around 10 years old. While I've always liked the looks of Cords I only recently joined the ACD after years of dabbling with other antique cars. My interest was rekindled after seeing that Sportsman that ended upon Copart a couple of years ago. At this point, I've decided to start looking for a Phaeton in around 2-4 condition but am realizing how much more there is to learn about this Marque and their values. While I'm not looking for a total restoration or parts car, I also don't want something that is perfect. I would be open to a well done RWD conversion. While there are a million questions I could ask at this point, the best place to begin would be with what I can reasonably expect to spend on such a car.

In looking up some recent Cord Phaeton sales, it seems as though there are some lower outliers in the general sales prices with a few notable examples. Is there any particular reason why the 810 sold at the Petrozzini Estate auction was estimated to sell between 15,000 and 20,000 to finally sell for $42,900? Here is the link to the car: www.mecum.com/lots/CH1019-389017/1936-co...7-nzld41TCntOwNVtf-w Is there really a $15,000 Cord Phaeton?

Thank you for your help!