Skip to main content

Cord Intake Question

More
28 May 2020 00:30 #40283 by pneflyer
Replied by pneflyer on topic Cord Intake Question
Gary,
That is an early intake manifold that would have been found on the hand built cars. I would have purchased it. But, I have 2 already. The seller did reduce the buy it now to $375.
The 35 Phaeton had been converted back to front drive with a Lycoming in it when I purchased it. It was not the original engine. It now has an appropriate engine for the car.

Mitch
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
27 May 2020 14:24 #40278 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord Intake Question
Terry, I know of a 35 hand built being restored very nicely. It was owned by the E.L. Cord family at one time. The now owner purchased it from an owner in Claifornia. I believe it had a chevy engine and rear drive but the original engine came with it. Another well known ACD member sold a replacement engine needing less work to make it to the ACD meet this September. Have emailed to the now owner and sold parts to him. I have been watching the restoration on the ACD facebook site as have many others.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
27 May 2020 11:57 #40276 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Cord Intake Question
I believe this manifold was originally fitted to a Hand Built Cord engine that used an EE-1 carburettor. For more detailed information see The Reunion Book No 2 page 134. Bill Bicknell wrote an extensive article on the Hand Built Cord oddities or differences from later production cars. Now where is the rest of the car?

T cockerell

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
22 May 2020 00:46 #40224 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Cord Intake Question
i just chalk it up as one of the many Cord oddities. I've even seen one S/C upper cover made for a two bolt carb, not a 4 bolt AA25 carb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 May 2020 00:12 #40222 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord Intake Question
Thanks Cliff. Were these common on the hand built 35 or 36 Cords? Ebay had one listed that was drilled for the three bolt or four bolt Strombergs. Not sure why but suppose an owner had to use a model 97 just to drive the car...

Gary Parsons

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
21 May 2020 22:05 #40218 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Cord Intake Question
I’ve had a couple of them. Came on early Cords and I’ve also seen them with an adapter plate that would accept a 4 bolt carb.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
21 May 2020 22:01 #40217 by 1748 S
Cord Intake Question was created by 1748 S
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWhen did our Cord intake manifold come with ONLY three bolt studs to secure the carburetors to them? This ebay find seems odd to me. Also there appears to be no part numbers found on the bottom either..

Gary Parsons