Skip to main content

Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
21 Jun 2020 20:39 #40397 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester
Another observation of mine is that some of the original body panels were welded together and were pretty crude. However the guys who did the body lead work were real craftsman. Many of the lead joints were “wiped” expertly, and many area of lead show no file marks. For some of your old school body men out there, you know what I’m talking about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2020 20:48 #40394 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester
Terry I bet the extra door skins were a surprise finding during your body restoration. Now I'm going to be looking closely at my doors for this too.

Gary Parsons

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2020 14:18 #40391 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester
I can agree with Jim. A lot of the parts cars that I’ve had, the curved area on the rear rocket sill at the bottom of the doors are “loaded” with lead . Never really measured but many were easily 1” or more thick.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2020 12:19 #40390 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester
Jim this does sound pretty extreme, can you post a sketch of where lead was applied to a 1" thickness to give us a better understanding?
I have seen lead 1/4" thick on some Cords here in Australia.
As to repair work, the door gaps on my own Westchester were all over the place.
During the restoration we found extra skins were placed over some of the doors. I have no idea if this was done in Canada of the US. We spent a lot of time and money getting things back to square one.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2020 14:01 #40389 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester
THe Lead was from the factory. I have found this on several Cords.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2020 13:28 #40386 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester
jim was this "up to 1 inch of lead" you found in the rocker panels factory or something a shop did because thats what they had at the time. I have found some amazing ( crazy) ideas of how my Beverly has been fixed in the long ago past. My car came with no bustle trunk latches. It was opened by pressing a button on the dash to trigger a spring loaded solenoid valve. It also came with a smooth steering wheel and the driver had a spot light to use if required for whatever. All the trunk latch body work to cover the holes in the lid or body were done so nicely I had no idea it had been done. It was perfectly blended to the original sheet metal. The inside of the trunk had pieces of brass shim stock soldiered in place to plug the holes. I had not worked on the body latch cover holes because this promises to be a huge for me undertaking..
Its amazing what we find in our cars from years of "fixing them"...

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2020 12:57 #40385 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester
The lower portions of the rocker panels are the same. The upper portions of the rocker panel, around the doors are obviously different. The original rocker panels are no where near what you see on the outside of the car. I think they installed the rocker panels, then hung the doors on the car, then leaded out the rocker panels to meet the door lines. I have found up to 1" of lead in the rocker panels to get the lines right.

More
18 Jun 2020 13:34 #40382 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Rocker Panels- Convertible vs Westchester
I'm not 100% sure, but I always thought the rockers on the convertibles were made from a thicker metal than the sedans, that or they were reinforced inside.

• ACORDIAN
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
17 May 2020 22:59 #40191 by ACORDIAN
How different are the rocker panels for the Convertible and the Westchester. Is one just shorter than the other ?
What I'm getting at is could one use a Convertible rocker to cover a portion of the Westchester rocker area by cutting, notching, sectioning ?????
and then fill in the remainder with small custom made additional panels???? I would greatly appreciate any help/advice you would be willing to pass my way. Thank you in advance.