The Frances Langford Connection

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
22 Mar 2020 19:59 - 22 Mar 2020 20:01 #39797 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic The Frances Langford Connection
Last weekend I had was able to examine another rare RHD Cord this time with Serial No 812 1600 K , which is under restoration. This car was originally sold in Melbourne by Stokoe Motors the Auburn and Cord agents.
This car had also slipped through the "cracks" as the Langford strengthening gussets had never been fitted. The owner will arrange to have the gussests fitted as work progresses. The wheels on this car were all cracked and some had been repaired with soild centers welded in.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Mar 2020 20:01 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
18 Mar 2020 01:11 - 18 Mar 2020 01:14 #39744 by Terry Cockerell
The Frances Langford Connection was created by Terry Cockerell
I stand corrected according to Ron Irwin's archive the cabriolet up for auction was originally owned by Miss Langford it has Serial No 812 1236F, engine No FB 1762 and body No C 92 182
The only pictures I have seen of Miss Langford with a Cord show her with a phaeton.
George Van Nostrand tells me that there was an old rumour that she had two Cords, so that may explain the true situation.
Regardless her "Cord" suffered a major failure which was rectified by welding gussest at the ends of the rear axle. This was subsequently done to almost "all" Cords. One surviving RHD Cord in Australia was never updated. The current owner was told about the need for the update.
Attached is a sketch showing the gusset dimensions and spacing.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Mar 2020 01:14 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Spelling error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.