Radiator Cleaning

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2020 14:12 #41086 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Radiator Cleaning
Thanks guys. This shop came well recommended to me. They do great work on older cars. Every time I did a drive by check in many older cars like Duesenberg, Chevy or Y block Ford radiators were being repaired. I know believe the guy doing radiators was afraid to get into my honey comb radiator by the odd excuses given. About 5 years ago another worker in this shop cleaned out my Cord fuel tank. He did a fabulous job. I regret not taking this radiator to Harry's Radiator Shop in Temple City Ca. American Pickers did a shop on them and I have done business with them since the early 1960s with my Dad and my own cars. Sadly Bob passed on so the family forced a shutdown and sold off most of the old car parts on the property. I do live about 20 miles from the Pacific Ocean and sure will look into your suggestion.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slehrman
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2020 12:26 - 29 Sep 2020 12:27 #41084 by slehrman
Replied by slehrman on topic Radiator Cleaning
In southern Florida I spent countless hours looking for a radiator shop that could boil out a gas tank. Every shop was closed, or no longer serviced radiators, they just sold them. I eventually ended up at the marina, where heat exchangers on large boats and yachts are regulary removed and cleaned. They did the tank overnight. Came out fantastic.......they also fix radiators and flush them for the stationary units on shore and on board ship. If you live near the ocean, its a good option to check out. Best, Ed Minnie
Last edit: 29 Sep 2020 12:27 by slehrman.

More
29 Sep 2020 11:03 #41082 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Radiator Cleaning
The biggest threat to our little hobby is the vendors (machine shops, garages, radiator shops, chrome shops, etc) that were common place 30-40 years ago are now rare and heading towards nonexistence. Modern cars have throw away parts so the need for specialized repair shops is gone.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2020 05:34 #41081 by 1748 S
Today, After 4 MONTHS I took back my still never worked on second Cord radiator. This time to shop worker told me without EVER opening up my radiator that is would fall to pieces and be unrepairable. This is after same guy telling me after three months that may other Cord radiator had too may leaks to repair.... I filled my first radiator with water and checked it for leaks.... Found NOTHING.... Am not a happy Cord radiator owner... I will be cleaning and repairing my radiators myself...

Gary Parsons.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2020 16:31 - 25 Sep 2020 16:32 #41059 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Radiator Cleaning
Brassworks is fine - I have heard the tales of the unhappy (especially from the Ford Model A people that want the part and do not want to spend the price as a 1K radiator is 1/10 th to 1/30 the value of most of their cars for the most part - but on the flip side of the coin are the people who are delighted as they own other cars and are use to higher costs) and I boil it down to people that would never be happy to begin with matched to cost being high and the lead time can be lengthy depending on your need.

Sidenote: If the Cord radiator is the same core as an Auburn radiator, then they may only be able to get the honneycomb "close" and you need to go the England route for the exact honneycomb - worth a call.

JMM
Last edit: 25 Sep 2020 16:32 by johnmereness.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2020 14:58 #41047 by 1748 S
I tried for three months to purchase a modified water pump from them for my 93 Ford diesel engine under their other name... Flowkooler.... Very poor communication blamed on Covid 19. Finally spoke with a nice woman about finally getting a pump. She actually offered me a job over the phone... But am not moving or driving 4 hours to work there. Nice small town. Excuses are not what a business needs to tell a customer as to why I can't spend money with them...

Gary Parsons

• ACORDIAN
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2020 22:45 #41044 by ACORDIAN
Replied by ACORDIAN on topic Radiator Cleaning
Although I've never done business with "Brassworks" (disclaimer), I have done some research on them. They HAVE A VERY BAD mix of reviews on YELP.
at the very least you should read these reviews BEFORE doing business to discover their "rules of the road" before getting into a $$$$$ position with them.

More
23 Sep 2020 21:25 #41043 by xjn001
Replied by xjn001 on topic Radiator Cleaning
What about Brassworks in California?

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2020 23:32 #41041 by 1748 S
The only place that does original honeycomb radiators is located in England. I recall something like $2800.00 U.S. dollars now. The wifey n I will be spending 6 weeks there next summer IF things are close to normal. Had to cancel this year....... I may if time allows look up the shop. That's one thing that interests me about going over there...

Gary Parsons

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2020 22:19 #41039 by johnmereness
AJ, if it needs a new radiator then really seriously worth looking at a honeycomb as when all said and done the local option will be $1,000-1,200 for replacement - at least around here you can hardly get a 30's radiator done for anything less than $1,000-1,200 plus. Additionally, a honeycomb helps value of the car. That said though, if just a driver or other fish to fry then a local option will work well.

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2020 21:47 #41037 by 1748 S
Modine and Jamestown were original installation. Its been told to me the reason two different brands was not paying the bills. So another company was used they they didn't get paid. Eventually closing the doors forever... Sad thing...

Gary Parsons

More
22 Sep 2020 19:23 #41036 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Radiator Cleaning
Since we are pulling our waterpump out to rebuild it I'm thinking at a minimum the radiator has to go to be boiled since it was last done in 1965. Was wondering if there was a source for the Modine cores? Not sure I want to spend 2400 on a Honey Comb unit.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
15 Mar 2020 16:25 - 15 Mar 2020 16:26 #39719 by johnmereness
Mike, I have seen plenty of radiator shop do it by sight - do enough and I am sure you get a "feel" for it.

JMM
Last edit: 15 Mar 2020 16:26 by johnmereness.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Mar 2020 07:43 - 15 Mar 2020 07:46 #39718 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Radiator Cleaning
George when 810 1586A arrived in Australia the radiator core was blocked full of gunk so I had to have the radiator rebuilt. Tom Georgeson told me to keep everything from the car and don't throw anything away. I often wondered about the core construction but never bothered to look at it too closely.
Attached are a couple of pictures showing the twin core construction you mentioned.
It is quite heavy.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Mar 2020 07:46 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2020 14:24 #39712 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Radiator Cleaning
Back in the 60's when I owned 810- 1586-A I had two Chevrolet cores installed -back to back. They were the correct dimension , worked well.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2020 04:24 #39710 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Radiator Cleaning
The rad shops I have talked too have told me they got rid of their flow testers years ago. The way they test is" visual using experience" they say. My well pumps 5 Gal. a min., not near enough.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2020 14:21 #39705 by 1748 S
Some radiators have a design to "slow the flow" thru them to increase the time needed for better heat transfer. In some mid to late 1980's ford diesel radiators the design is called dimple core. Every tube has dimples impressed into it to slow the coolant dropping or flowing down thru it. They are NOT cross flow radiators. These "dimple core" radiators were not successful as they were on the drawing boards. As to the actual design of the original honeycomb cores is not known to me. The shop I have doing my work is known for the work they do on many vintage cars. They do ALL the Duesenberg radiators. They know I have two of these Cord radiators and will get both to clean if they can clean the one I have there now.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2020 13:59 #39704 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Radiator Cleaning
Mike, Flow rate is in GPM. Your house doesn't have enough capacity to check a radiator. The easiest way to measure it is to take it to a radiator shop which has the equipment to measure the flow. They also usually have a 2" water line coning into the shop so they have plenty of flow.

The only way I know to measure the flow rate at home is to rig up a tank (55 gal drum) to the radiator inlet and let the outlet free flow onto the ground. Then mark the tank at two levels so you know (or calculate) the volume between the marks. Then open the tank and start the clock when you get to the top mark and stop the clock when you get to the bottom mark. Then its a straight calculation to get the flow rate. Crude and messy but will give you a decent number.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2020 12:27 #39703 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Radiator Cleaning
Unfortunately we didn't quantify things very well. Both cores were cleaned as much as possible and we filled with water and only looked at relative flow rates. I concluded that the Modine had an approximately 3x faster rate.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2020 04:29 #39701 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Radiator Cleaning
How do you measure flow rate Jim. My Marmon 16 mechanic's manual gives it in gallons for a time period. The problem is I can't get enough flow from my hose to keep it full for the time specified.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2020 00:12 #39699 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Radiator Cleaning
Wynn, What kind of flow rates did you get on the original radiator cores? Doc Flywheel did some testing years ago and I would like to compare your results with his.
JIm

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2020 15:23 #39697 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Radiator Cleaning
Hi Wyn: Looks like the two honeycomb radiator cores I bought years ago may no longer be available. I happen to have a photo of the cores I've bought. See attached.
Attachments:

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2020 00:57 - 11 Mar 2020 01:00 #39694 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Radiator Cleaning
I recently re-cored my radiator and went with the Modine tube & fin core, rather than honeycomb for several reasons. First, in judging either the Jamestown honeycomb or the Modine tube & fin are equally acceptable. Second, the honeycomb cores available from the place in England are not an exact match for the original Jamestown honeycomb. See photos below. I got quotes and they were VERY high (seemed like nearly $3000 but I didn't save the number). I may consider paying that much if it was an exact match but not for something just "close". Third, Modine cores are still made by Modine, and were purchased by Cord even if not installed before they ceased production of the 810/812s. Fourth, I tested the flow in both my original Jamestown core and an old Cord Modine core and there was literally no comparison. The Modine design is far superior, and given that Cords are known for overheating it seemed wise to replace my honeycomb with Modine. Especially since it is equally acceptable for judging and the alternative is to pay 3x more for something that still isn't totally correct. I did the same thing with my heater core.

Cores available from the current source in England:

Original Jamestown honeycomb pattern:

Old Modine tube and fin Core:

My finished re-cored radiator:
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2020 01:00 by wynlaidig.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2020 23:37 #39653 by uconn_1965
My memory is fading with the years. I think the name of the outfit in Great Britain was Wings and Radiators in Birmingham England. They were great to work with. I’m sure if you email them they can give you an accurate quote. As to cost of core plus the shipping.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2020 23:30 #39652 by 1748 S

johnmereness wrote: I have used Brassworks www.thebrassworks.net/ and they have a core that is similar, but to my knowledge you still need to go to England for proper Auburn and Cord core.

This is true. I was down having lunch with Randy Ema today and we discussed this very thing. I recall about 4 years ago I offered a radiator to him for a customer but.. He said they are available in England for $1800.00.. Now Cliff noted they are $2400.00... Am wondering if copper has gone up that much or are they using gold as soldier... I will know in about a week if this one is cleanable because of the core tubes not being straight thru...

Gary Parsons

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2020 18:33 #39647 by johnmereness
I have used Brassworks www.thebrassworks.net/ and they have a core that is similar, but to my knowledge you still need to go to England for proper Auburn and Cord core.

JMM

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2020 21:54 #39644 by uconn_1965
I wish you luck with the radiator cores. If they have good water flow, you probably will be OK. One of the problems with a Cord honeycone radiator core is that they can’t be “Rodded out” if they have restricted flow.
In the past I’ve had a company in Great Britain make brand new honeycone radiator core but it was very expensive (approx. $2400. with shipping). then you still had to solder the top and bottom tanks. I’ve heard Maine radiator also can make new honeycone cores.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2020 17:57 #39643 by 1748 S
Radiator Cleaning was created by 1748 S
I have two original honeycone core radiators. I believe they are both Modine. Tomorrow I will be having one of them cleaned out. If the shop does a good job I will have them do my other radiator too. Then take one of the ready to install radiators to the west coast meet in Cambria Ca for the swap meet. I will be bringing a complete set of ready to install tail light buckets, lens, retainer ring and body mounting gaskets..... Already have my reservations there... This shop has done Duesenbergs and many other car radiators so I know they do fine work. They actually cleaned out my gas tank of the 1/4 inch of crud in the bottom of that. Some may recall my effort to make the tank safe for me to remove the mess of soldiering the fill neck flange with the sheet metal screws still in the flange.. I used dry ice and water to make a carbon dioxide blanket in the tank. No explosions either... Anyway things continue to move in the right direction here. I'm getting all the small stuff done. Then going to tackle the big stuff. The engine rebuild and body work. Am not sure I have the still level to do quality body work... But will try just the same......

Gary Parsons