Skip to main content

Fog Light Wiring

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
27 Feb 2020 10:37 #39598 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Fog Light Wiring
As a side issue connected with turn signals most drivers of modern cars don't see them at rear bumper level consequently I am setting up some extra lights in the rear windows of my Westchester. They will sit on the parcel shelf and can be easily removed for shows etc.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
27 Feb 2020 06:55 #39597 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Fog Light Wiring

wcoye wrote: I have an original set of Fog King lamps without Auburn mounts (still lookin'). Is this a pipe dream, is it possible to wire these to serve both as turn indicators AND fog lamps with the understanding they couldn't be both at the same time?

You may be able to get a small bulb and socket into the reflectors and buckets (you do not have much room though), but my guess is you can find dome sort of dual filament bulb that will work to allow both turn and fogs.

JMM

More
25 Feb 2020 16:36 #39577 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Fog Light Wiring
Cool! I have a month or two before I'll be ready to mount the lamps. Please post your methodology when you get around to trying this.
Thanx!

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2020 16:11 #39576 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Fog Light Wiring
Yes, I am sure that can be done, with the right combination of switches. I haven't done it yet, but I think I have all the parts I need and am going to test to configuration soon.

More
25 Feb 2020 15:41 #39575 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Fog Light Wiring
I have an original set of Fog King lamps without Auburn mounts (still lookin'). Is this a pipe dream, is it possible to wire these to serve both as turn indicators AND fog lamps with the understanding they couldn't be both at the same time?

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2020 15:02 #39573 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Fog Light Wiring
Thanks Jim. Very good suggestions. I saw a Duesenberg and an Auburn a few years ago that had turn indicator lights clipped on the front and rear bumpers that was wireless. As was explained they easily come off for judging and wont leave marks. For now that is my plan for turn indicator lights. More investigation on my park needs to be done yet.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2020 01:55 - 25 Feb 2020 01:57 #39565 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Fog Light Wiring
The fog lights were installed by dealers. I believe each dealer installed them their own way.

If you use the fog lights as turn signals with LED bulbs you need to use an electronic flasher. If you use regular bulbs you are OK with a standard flasher.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 01:57 by JIM.OBRIEN.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2020 01:47 #39560 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Fog Light Wiring
Gary, you can also check RIWire. They carry armored wire too. I just got some for my fog lights. Single conductor 14 GA, for about $1.50 foot. I was also wondering about wiring the fog lamps to use as front turn signals. I know it is possible if you use a LED bulb, but i would like to figure out a way to do that with the higher amperage bulbs. Perhaps with a relay... I need to do some experimenting.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2020 14:48 #39555 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Fog Light Wiring
I would use a cloth braided wire or a cloth braided wire with armor winding over it and I would use a period aluminum clip to attach to the wiring harness. You may want to put a relay into the fog circuit.

brillman.com/product/12-gauge-cotton-braided-primary-wire/

If you want to integrate a ground wire:
brillman.com/product/14-gauge-double-con...raided-primary-wire/

If you do not wan to integrate a ground wire:
brillman.com/product/14-gauge-single-con...raided-primary-wire/

For wire ties: See page 12 of:
restorationstuff.com/
file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/download.pdf
Aluminum ELE172 $4.00

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 Feb 2020 21:58 #39554 by 1748 S
Fog Light Wiring was created by 1748 S
I have the correct Fog King driving lights with the original Auburn mounting brackets. My question is how did you that have these lights wire them in? Do you have information as to the harness path taken? I was thinking of modifying my head light harness order thru Rhode Island Wire but not sure that's the way to do it.Also I have the upgraded sealed beam head lights with the relay on the firewall.
Thanks...

Gary Parsons