Installing Rhode Island Harness

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2020 14:56 #39572 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Installing Rhode Island Harness

mikespeed35 wrote: Dielectric grease please. Don't forget to seal the machine screws.
CORDiallyMike

Thanks Mike for the suggestion about the grease and the threads for the screws being sealed too. Am not sure the bolt holes enter the vacuum chamber but will surely check on this.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2020 04:44 #39570 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Installing Rhode Island Harness
Dielectric grease please. Don't forget to seal the machine screws.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2020 15:22 #39541 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Installing Rhode Island Harness
Thanks Jim.Exactlly the information I needed. I'm just going to cut off the tail of the black loom. Working on this thinking maybe this switch was in the vacuum puzzled me but asking solves everything. I used 1000 grit wet n dry on the switch contacts. They had some blackening on one side. I plan to add some grease to the switch pins because I can see where they were greased many years ago.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2020 01:57 #39538 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Installing Rhode Island Harness
Gary, The tail is part of the manufacturing process . Yes the switch is in the vacuum chamber. The gaskets on the switch are a must to prevent leakage.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2020 00:01 #39536 by 1748 S
Installing Rhode Island Harness was created by 1748 S
And so it begins. I'm starting with the second most difficult harness to install but have questions. This is the neutral safety switch harness that gose from the main vacuum cylinder to the 4 vacuum solenoids on the passenger side of the trans. What and why did Rhode Island leave this loom tail on the harness? Also is there vacuum in this switch chamber? I noticed the gaskets top and bottom of the switch and I used a honing stone to clean up the mating surfaces for a better seal.But not sure we have vacuum on this area. I realize both sides of the large vacuum cylinder MUST have vacuum to push or pull the shifter in and out of the gears thru the "H" pattern. Thanks for any help. More pics available too.
Gary Parsons