Skip to main content

Idle Problem

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Mar 2021 19:13 #42445 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Idle Problem
Trevor, thanks for the help. I will try that this spring. Right now my Cord is up on my parking lift with another car below it - and it's tough working 6 feet off the ground!
-Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Mar 2021 19:11 #42444 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Hunting for Idle problem comment
Jack! Good to hear from you! The idle problem seems to have gone away on its own. Though I haven't driven Geneva recently, my last outing was a 2-day affair with multiple stops and starts along a touring route with several dozen other historic automobiles. The Cord ran like a champ - though I did notice some exhaust backfire once the engine was warm at higher rpm. I was thrilled she started and stopped 7 times in one day!
-Michael

More
01 Mar 2021 19:11 #42443 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Idle Problem
Hook up a vacuum gauge if possible. Wind in the idle screws until it sounds like crap. Slowly wind them out together until you achieve the best steady vacuum. That is where you want the idle screws. You will hear the engine will sound better and then reset the idle. Unless you have other issues this will help. Look in the top of the carb and make sure you don't have fuel drippping in as well.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2021 17:19 #42440 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Hunting for Idle problem comment
Hello Rum Runner. Viewing your post about an Idle Problem on S#32410S ( aka Geneva) I want you to know that I never experienced this problem with the car during my ownership. As I have previously told you I am not satisfied that the "AA25" carburetor on the car is truly the proper model with appropriate jets. It may well be a "made up" unit from parts pirated from other similar carburetors. It is sure good to hear Geneva "talking" through the tailpipe, Best of luck in trouble shooting the problem. Jack Richards in Missouri.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Jan 2020 06:06 #39405 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Idle Problem
Rich idle circuit, vacuum leak??
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Jan 2020 02:32 #39401 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Idle Problem
It probably is the idle circuit in the carb. The two adjustment screws in the base can change that by screwing them in or out. Getting them balanced takes some talent. When did this start happening? I do NOT feel its the mechanical advance in the distributor. An easy possible fit is to try tightening the four base nuts that holds the carb to the supercharger.

Gary Parsons

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2020 22:04 #39400 by RumRunner
Idle Problem was created by RumRunner
All,

I've noticed that my Cord 812 S/C Beverly "hunts" for a steady idle. I'm not a carburetor guy, so not certain how to diagnose and fix. Carburetor is the original unit. When driving the car it runs fine ... just a problem at idle. I've included a link to a YouTube video that I posted where you can hear exactly what I'm talking about:

1937 Cord 812 Hunting for Idle

Any help would be appreciated.

-Michael

1937 Cord 812 Beverly S/C
1974 Glen Pray 866 Auburn Speedster
1927 Buick Riviera Boattail
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards