Skip to main content

Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement

• rallyemidland
  • Registered
More
12 Apr 2020 15:51 #39924 by rallyemidland
Replied by rallyemidland on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
Similar conversions have been available for Citroen cars. I have installed them on my Traction Avant15/6H 1955 and my Traction Avant Light 15 (11cv) 1951. The results are great and it civilizes these cars. I would like to be on the list to buy the first available conversions and my shop would be available for beta tests. Dale Rallye Auto

Dale Martin Midland, Michigan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2020 00:12 #39687 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
Cliff. That's what I did. I had new full size hubs made. The OE hubs can be a danger when they fail --the wheel comes off The OE bearings are a design fault, but rarely a safety problem. I drove my original 810 sedan 36,000 miles, never had a breakdown on the road, but it was well checked out before leaving.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

More
09 Mar 2020 23:48 #39686 by pac32
Replied by pac32 on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
I did check my hubs and wheels before NZ and after the return, they were fine. I also put new tires on the Cord and elected to put belted tires on instead of radials as I felt is could tax the car more with radials. I also drove the car as easy as possible as we were 1/2 a world away from home. The Cord rewarded be with no issues. I am just saying that there is no reason to make radical changes to these cars. If you have the car properly set up and drive it with a bit of knowledge and care it will perform well. There is no need to re-Engineer it.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2020 13:18 #39682 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
Years ago there was a club member from Pa. (can’t remember his name, guessing Severs) who made extra heavy new hubs for the front drums. You drilled out the old hubs from the drums and installed the extra thick new machined hubs with studs and used your original drive joints. I installed these on two of my Cord and found them to be excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2020 11:46 #39681 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
One of biggest concerns with the old CV system is the thin hubs. The original hub thickness is 1/8" - 3/16" thick riveted to brake hub. This can cause flexing and cracking or total failure. The modern hub is 1/2" thick and uses modern studs allowing easy removal. A tighter hub to bearing fit is possible also. New inner and outer CV's have much tighter ball tolerances giving a quiet and vibration free drive. The modern boots provide a totally leak proof system.

Pat Leahy

More
09 Mar 2020 00:04 #39678 by pac32
Replied by pac32 on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
I took my Cord to New Zealand 2 years ago with original CV joints, we put 2,000 hard miles on it there, no issues. I did clean 1 white wall 4 times (it was not really that bad). when the car arrived back in the States I did have a lot of CV grease on the inside of the outer CV joints. I pulled the outers out and cleaned and repacked them (not a hard job). I did this more to satisfy myself that they were fine and had sufficient amount of grease in them. The inners had not leaked vary much and I left them alone. Since NZ the Cord has gone another 2 1/2 K miles. I guess I dont understand why we need to "update" them. Mine were driven harder than most Cords would see in 20 years of normal use.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
01 Mar 2020 14:27 #39634 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
I understand the bearing races we're not up to today's metal hardness but mine seem to be ok and fitting tight. I can remember hearing you can mill them and use oversize bearings.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Mar 2020 06:27 #39632 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
Thank you Balinwire. Helps a 810-12 neophyte understand the conversation.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
29 Feb 2020 15:12 - 29 Feb 2020 15:15 #39625 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
what is the difference between Bendix and Rezeppa joints, please post a picture of the two units side by side. My from end seems to roll withouy clacking or wear. To me they look like Bendix www.google.com/search?q=rzeppa+universal...mgdii=3HXesTOh2aLpxM
Last edit: 29 Feb 2020 15:15 by balinwire. Reason: spell

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2020 13:53 - 28 Feb 2020 16:30 #39617 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
My son, Joe Leahy is working on a new method of making a modern CV joint system. We are reducing the number of special of special machined parts. We have found a modern heavy outer hub which has a 5" by 5 lug configuration that only requires a slight remachine to fit in original bearing and joint housing. The outer CV fits fine into the housing. The drive shaft is too long and requires cutting and resplining. We use a tripod type inner CV joint with a 4" bolt on face that fits into the Cord large bell. We use a laser cut plate and add a seal bushing and custom made shaft. We finishing the protype unit and will be testing. We need 5 sets for our family Cords and expect to make more. We expect these to sell between $2500.00 to $3000.00 for a pair.

Pat Leahy
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Feb 2020 16:30 by Pat Leahy.

• tom clarke
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Jan 2020 17:51 #39425 by tom clarke
Replied by tom clarke on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
Thank you for the info, Terry. I will contact Bill Richardson.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jan 2020 20:18 #39384 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
Tom, I have been in contact with Bill Richardson. He no longer has complete drive axle sets but does have the following.
He can be contacted via ................ [email protected].
Bill says,
"I have 2 sets of the R-505 assemblies with HD wheel hub with tapered wheel bearings.
The hubs have 10 tooth splines and fit original Cord axles, outer joints must be in good condition but the tapered wheel bearing assembly alone stabilizes the drive.
Wheel hubs come with new spanner nut and bearings installed for assembly. Hubs have longer wheel studs for Wohlwend wheels."
Unfortunately he can't help with the outer joints.

T cockerell

• tom clarke
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Jan 2020 19:02 #39353 by tom clarke
Replied by tom clarke on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
Thanks for your response, Jim. Let me give you a bit of context to my inquiry. My Father bought 2 Cords, an 810 and an 812, both Westchester sedans, in 1957. I was 16 years old. Neither car was running so he and I took the two cars apart to make one, choosing the 810 body because it had the best interior. We took the engine from the 812, but it turned out that it had originally come from the 810 and had been transplanted into the 812 by a prior owner.
The car passed to me before my Father died in 1986 and I have consistently run the car over the years but only in town, because of the "understanding" that the drivetrain was very fragile. The transmission failed some 20 years ago, because of the "thrust washer" issue, but I had the modifications made, per the transmission book, and it works well to this day. About that same time the Richardson modification came out but I was not well enough off, at that time, to spring for it. Now I'm 78, retired, and while I still enjoy the car, I would like to make it a reliable vehicle on the highway, so the outer CV issue is front and center.
I have recently read Josh Malks 1995 book, "Cord 810/812, The Timeless Classic". I understand that Josh put the Richardson conversion in his last Cord, Moonshadow, and made a reliable traveling machine by doing so. In 1957 we had a set of Rzeppa outer CV's, and another set of Bendix outer CV's. Somehow we knew that Rzeppa's had been replaced during production with the Bendix units (confirmed in Josh Malks book), so we installed the Bendix units in our 810 as we finished it.
You mention the old joints may leak a little??? Well mine leak a lot, as clearly one of the advantages of the Toronado CV's was modern sealing. In addition my Bendix CV's "knock". In Josh Malks book this is referred to several times, p.77, p.137 & p.142. That latter page also acknowledges that "modern joints use far stronger steel, which can handle much more groove offset" . . . allowing cage wear to be negligible, "and so is the noise". And they are so much better "sealed" so I wouldn't have to clean grease off my whitewalls every time I add grease to my Bendix units.
So, if I'm going to take my outer CV's out of my car to re-seal them, why not spend the same labor and money to replace them with more modern units that make the reliability of the car soar.
I can't be the first to contemplate this, so I'm appealing to the membership of the ACD Club for information who may have done this already, to provide me with their research.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
18 Jan 2020 22:44 #39316 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement
Tom, I have heard that Bill Richardson is no longer producing the modern joint but I can't say for certain.

Why do you say the old joints are a problem? Yes they may leak a little - a lot if not maintained, but other then that they work fine. I put over 60,000 miles on a used set that was in my sedan when I restored it and never had a problem. I did pull them apart once to replace the seals. But other then that they worked fine.
JIm

• tom clarke
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2020 23:32 #39305 by tom clarke
Modern Outer CV Joint Replacement was created by tom clarke
I would like to upgrade my '36 Westchester to more modern CV Joints. I have made several search efforts for this topic, but nothing seems to come up. I suspect the Richardson conversion is no longer available, but perhaps one of you could confirm that. And since this was a real weak point with the Cord 810/812, perhaps someone has found other modern CV joints that can be adapted to my car. Any info would be appreciated.