Modern LED Headlights for Geneva

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2020 01:32 #39336 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Modern LED Headlights for Geneva
Jack,

Glad to hear you approve. Hope you have a great 2020! I try to maintain originality wherever possible, but modern lighting to me is a safety issue. I did finish up on the passenger's side today so Geneva is all set for a nighttime cruise! Perhaps when it warms up outside. Final pictures below.

-Michael

1937 Cord 812 Beverly Supercharged
1974 Glenn Pray Auburn 866 Speedster
1972 Buick Riviera Boattail

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
18 Jan 2020 03:27 #39306 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Modern LED Headlights for Geneva
Hello Custodian Michael , You have done a masterful job of adapting the modern LED headlamp technology to "Geneva" (1937 Cord S#32410S). Now you have excellent and safe lighting to fully enjoy the lovely car. As a former owner/custodian of this Cord I applaud the results. Jonathan (Jack) Richards at Chesterfield, Missouri.

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2020 01:34 - 17 Jan 2020 02:50 #39298 by RumRunner
Modern LED Headlights for Geneva was created by RumRunner
Hello Cordaholics!

My last topic detailed how I accidentally dropped and broke one of my headlight lenses. I did find someone that made me a replacement plastic lens, but it wasn't quite right for me. You can find that thread here:
Broken Headlamp Lens

About a year earlier I also posted how I installed modern LED tail/brake bulbs while still allowing the car to be return to original within a few minutes. In that post I also showed some LED headlights I installed on accessory mounts so I could actually see at night. That thread can be found here:
Ligthing for 32401S Geneva

So seeing that I had these LED headlamps already, and a broken lens, I figured I would go ahead and try to mount the modern LEDs in the original headlamp buckets. I know in the past some people converted to sealed beams, this is just the next step. I did like the LEDs on the accessory mounts, but it just didn't look original. So I set about fixing it.

As always, I try to make certain that anything I do can be undone quickly and return the car to its fully original condition. I know that makes Jack happy!

So far I've only finished the driver's side, but I was able to do it. I think it looks good - you may have another opinion. It is certainly modern bright. I had already installed a 6V-12V converter for the LED lights, so I already had wiring all ready to go. I'll tackle the passenger side this weekend.

Again - no 6V components were harmed! All the original wiring remains intact, as do the reflectors, bulbs, connectors, and sadly, only one original headlight lens! The new headlight mounts I used were $22 each, and the LED headlights were $145 each.

And yes, it opens and closes fully!

-Michael
1937 Cord 812 Beverly Supercharged
1974 Glen Pray Auburn 866 Boattail Speedster
1972 Buick Riviera Boattail.

Photo 1: To begin, I removed the reflector assembly and "eyeball" carrier that hold the headlight.
Photo 2: Is missing because I can only have 8 photos!
Photo 3: This shows 3 aluminum tabs I fabricated inserted into the eyeball carrier, in the same position as the original spring clips and adjuster clips were located. I removed these original clips and saved them for the next owner. I'll use these tabs to hold the new headlight mount to the eyeball.
Photo 4: This is a 7" headlight mount I purchased on Amazon to held the LED headlight. I had to do some modifications to make it fit, and added some mounting holes aligned with my aluminum tabs.
Photo 5: Shows the headlight mount attached to the eyeball carrier.
Photo 6: Shows a close up of how the mount is attached to the eyeball carrier using my aluminum tabs and a sheet metal screw.
Photo 7: Shows the assembly mounted on the car.
Photo 8: Is missing because I can only have 8 photos!
Photo 9: Shows the LED headlight mounted in the assembly on the car.
Photo 10: The LED headlight on!

Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 02:50 by RumRunner. Reason: Fix
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S