New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Modern LED Headlights for Geneva

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
17 Jan 2020 01:34 - 17 Jan 2020 02:50 #39298 by RumRunner
Modern LED Headlights for Geneva was created by RumRunner
Hello Cordaholics!

My last topic detailed how I accidentally dropped and broke one of my headlight lenses. I did find someone that made me a replacement plastic lens, but it wasn't quite right for me. You can find that thread here:
Broken Headlamp Lens

About a year earlier I also posted how I installed modern LED tail/brake bulbs while still allowing the car to be return to original within a few minutes. In that post I also showed some LED headlights I installed on accessory mounts so I could actually see at night. That thread can be found here:
Ligthing for 32401S Geneva

So seeing that I had these LED headlamps already, and a broken lens, I figured I would go ahead and try to mount the modern LEDs in the original headlamp buckets. I know in the past some people converted to sealed beams, this is just the next step. I did like the LEDs on the accessory mounts, but it just didn't look original. So I set about fixing it.

As always, I try to make certain that anything I do can be undone quickly and return the car to its fully original condition. I know that makes Jack happy!

So far I've only finished the driver's side, but I was able to do it. I think it looks good - you may have another opinion. It is certainly modern bright. I had already installed a 6V-12V converter for the LED lights, so I already had wiring all ready to go. I'll tackle the passenger side this weekend.

Again - no 6V components were harmed! All the original wiring remains intact, as do the reflectors, bulbs, connectors, and sadly, only one original headlight lens! The new headlight mounts I used were $22 each, and the LED headlights were $145 each.

And yes, it opens and closes fully!

-Michael
1937 Cord 812 Beverly Supercharged
1974 Glen Pray Auburn 866 Boattail Speedster
1972 Buick Riviera Boattail.

Photo 1: To begin, I removed the reflector assembly and "eyeball" carrier that hold the headlight.
Photo 2: Is missing because I can only have 8 photos!
Photo 3: This shows 3 aluminum tabs I fabricated inserted into the eyeball carrier, in the same position as the original spring clips and adjuster clips were located. I removed these original clips and saved them for the next owner. I'll use these tabs to hold the new headlight mount to the eyeball.
Photo 4: This is a 7" headlight mount I purchased on Amazon to held the LED headlight. I had to do some modifications to make it fit, and added some mounting holes aligned with my aluminum tabs.
Photo 5: Shows the headlight mount attached to the eyeball carrier.
Photo 6: Shows a close up of how the mount is attached to the eyeball carrier using my aluminum tabs and a sheet metal screw.
Photo 7: Shows the assembly mounted on the car.
Photo 8: Is missing because I can only have 8 photos!
Photo 9: Shows the LED headlight mounted in the assembly on the car.
Photo 10: The LED headlight on!

Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 02:50 by RumRunner. Reason: Fix
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
18 Jan 2020 03:27 #39306 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Modern LED Headlights for Geneva
Hello Custodian Michael , You have done a masterful job of adapting the modern LED headlamp technology to "Geneva" (1937 Cord S#32410S). Now you have excellent and safe lighting to fully enjoy the lovely car. As a former owner/custodian of this Cord I applaud the results. Jonathan (Jack) Richards at Chesterfield, Missouri.

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
20 Jan 2020 01:32 #39336 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Modern LED Headlights for Geneva
Jack,

Glad to hear you approve. Hope you have a great 2020! I try to maintain originality wherever possible, but modern lighting to me is a safety issue. I did finish up on the passenger's side today so Geneva is all set for a nighttime cruise! Perhaps when it warms up outside. Final pictures below.

-Michael

1937 Cord 812 Beverly Supercharged
1974 Glenn Pray Auburn 866 Speedster
1972 Buick Riviera Boattail

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

Time to create page: 1.006 seconds