New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Cord 812 Originality Photos

More
11 Jan 2020 04:49 #39237 by VLM
Cord 812 Originality Photos was created by VLM
I just rejoined ACD after a couple years of neglecting to renew my membership (suggestion to membership management: nag us mercilessly via email when we fail to resubscribe) and I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anybody built up a photo library of "originality"? This would be extremely helpful in the restoration process as I've got a couple of cars in process and using the other cars for "originality" is a bit questionable (even though one of them was a "barn find" from 1957). For example, the issue of the correct headlight color could easily be a simple photo and tag which would have saved WCOYE a good amount of extra work.

2) Can anybody tell me if the results from the 2019 ACD judging are available on the site? Also, can I get PDF versions of the Newsletters for the past few years (including the directory)? Or perhaps purchase back issues? I assume that the details are the site somewhere but I've had no luck finding them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
11 Jan 2020 15:31 #39239 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord 812 Originality Photos
Thanks for making a very good point in your post. I too would like to see "originality" photos of everything. I'm not a professional restorer but... Why have to continue restoring my car because I got something wrong. Just today I was reading the ACD FB page. It showed a picture of two of the greats that have passed. They were counting the links in the gas cap chain during judging. Nobody wants to restore only to find you lost points because you have one too many links in your chain. I asked for clarification on whats exactly needed in this area too. I want to restore my car once and do it correctly. Mostly for myself but so the next caretaker has a car that is correct.

Gary Parsons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
11 Jan 2020 17:32 #39243 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cord 812 Originality Photos
Can you believe, when the cars where built, that the factory counted the links in the chain? Today manufacturing new cars, Yes. In 1936-37, don't believe it. Judging getting like National Corvette Restorers Society.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
11 Jan 2020 19:27 #39248 by VLM
Replied by VLM on topic Cord 812 Originality Photos
Gary: We are utterly on the same page in this regard. The question is how to do it. Does ACD want to establish the format or does it have to be done as a personal endeavour (Canadian spelling guys!). I purchased the Jaguar e type originality book and it is remarkable. No more haunting web sites and google photos to maybe get things just so. I'm not an absolute stickler for originality in all things but if, for example, you are going to have a gas tank chain, why not do it correctly? I spent hours chatting with Rick Hulett about various points of originality yet only scratched the surface. It was great but all that knowledge that we didn't have time to talk about passed away with him. And I agree with you about passing on a car that is done correctly. In addition, if it was easier for people to know what the cars are supposed to look like, the quality of the restorations should go up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
11 Jan 2020 19:47 - 11 Jan 2020 19:53 #39250 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Cord 812 Originality Photos
I heard a lot of grumbling about the Cord Guidelines and also the quality of cars being shown via judging being so HIGH - people were discussing: "How do I compete with that ?" Unfortunately, I would say that there were so many decades where the "how it was manufactured new" that got lost due to what at the time were thought quality restorations and that if you now look closely at this website people are now truly struggling to figure out what is correct and what is not. What I can say, is that the Club needs to continue to be welcoming of whatever you bring to Cord, Auburn, & Duesenberg's, but if you do not do your car the best that can be done to what the factory did then you best shy away from the judging and just look to other aspects of the Club = there is something for everyone. I saw someone post on AACA about the hierarchy of CCCA era cars and how some things are not worthy - well, that is not going to make them friends matched to not being a productive use of time any way about it - the Club/group works best as a whole/unit. Personally, I like very authentic yet driver quality cars (I am not one for perfect paint). I also doubt that I will show a car in club judging, but you will always see me parked out on the show field. And, I will talk authenticity until the cows come home, but if you are going in another direction I will listen and for the most part be respectful, but probably not be all that engaged.

JMM
Last edit: 11 Jan 2020 19:53 by johnmereness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
11 Jan 2020 19:57 - 11 Jan 2020 20:12 #39251 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Cord 812 Originality Photos
By the way, I would love to see "trunk" photos of an unrestored 34-36 Auburn 6 or 8 cylinder trunk back Phaeton with or without spare tire in the trunk interior - unfortunately, for 10 years now we do not believe such exists any longer (and the restored cars are across the board with nothing really looking more than a figment of imagination) - still hoping though.

JMM
Last edit: 11 Jan 2020 20:12 by johnmereness.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds