Locking Handle Disassembly?

• wynlaidig
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
07 Jan 2020 01:58 #39193 by wynlaidig
Locking Handle Disassembly? was created by wynlaidig
Can someone advise me on the best way to disassemble the exterior locking door handle? I need to rechrome the handle. I have the lockset out, but I still need to take out the internal swivel mechanism. I am guessing I need to drill out the 4 punch impressions to remove the square shaft, and then the internal swivel mechanism can hopefully be pushed out through the square shaft hole. I am hoping someone who has done this can guide me, since I don't want to make a mistake. These locking handles are hard to find!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2020 14:44 #39196 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Locking Handle Disassembly?
The broken open one I have has a flat 16th in sheet metal frame in the shape of the handle and a plated brass formed sheet metal swaged together forming deco shape I have Skylark handles that work and are a bit more sturdy. The square dowel to the inside handle has been twisted, normal way to adjust sagging door handle. Good luck, how does the key lock set removed?

More
07 Jan 2020 15:03 #39197 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Locking Handle Disassembly?
Internally there is a special cylinder. The late Henry Portz made a much better piece. He also included instructions how to remove this cylinder. I recall you need to drill a hole in the bottom of the handle to press a clip so this cylinder can be removed. Terry Cockrell knows all this and purchased part. I will search my files and post back what I find.

Gary Parsons

More
08 Jan 2020 14:11 #39202 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Locking Handle Disassembly?
My research shows it was George Van norstrand that shared what Henry Portz did.

Gary Parsons

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds