Skip to main content

Latest ACD News

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2020 00:15 #39267 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Latest ACD News
John and Gary - Several points on this thread...
First - the shift harness plug is installed incorrectly on the photo. The plug should be turned 90 degrees such that the wires go in the top and out the bottom. When installed as per the original the only part that can be seen is the top of the plug. So if someone installs a dummy plug with the wires running thru it the judges or anyone else would not be able to tell.

The original head bolts were marked either W or B2 - both were used during production. If you look at the lower row in the one photo you see the B2 bolts. The hand built or show Cords did have chrome plated head bolts. As well as several other parts that were chrome plated and changed to cad early in production.

The heads are Bonalite. The original heads were marked with a Patent number. The Bonnalite heads were very early replacements. They may have been used in very late production - others may know for sure.

Gary - I'm working on a series of articles on the shifting system. The shift stalk will be part of that. I have been trying to get a few other articles out first plus the shifting system articles are a lot more work and becoming a lot larger then I first anticipated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
12 Jan 2020 19:27 #39264 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Latest ACD News

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
12 Jan 2020 19:26 #39263 by johnmereness

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
12 Jan 2020 19:18 - 15 Jan 2020 16:46 #39262 by johnmereness
Let's have some Fun here:

RE: Is this plug functional or does the 10 wire harness just pass thru it?

I would be tempted to not use the plug, but I wonder how you integrate the plug housing so you car still looks correct (ex. using housing as just a pass through for "looks" without any connections inside ) ?

Re: I noticed you have the Autolite spark plugs.

I notice that too, but your approach to authentically restored plugs of any of the various varieties is a much better solution and is the only way to go via current judging standards. Keep up the good work with your plug restorations !!!

Re: I also noticed the heads and the head bolts.

Educate me someone. It is my understanding that the very early cars had chrome?????? head bolts and all the rest of the car had W head bolts (in cadmium plating while an Auburn would have been black parkerized) (and/+ edited per: Jim O'Brian who identifys original bolts as also having B2 markings), but when certain reproduction heads are used you have to move off of the "W" marked head bolts as the reproduction heads are thicker and thus bolt becomes too short.

Re: Love the Cadet Grey color too.

Me too, but I bet it is a little 'tweaked"

JMM
Last edit: 15 Jan 2020 16:46 by johnmereness.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
12 Jan 2020 19:06 #39261 by johnmereness
Unfortunately, not my car, though the fellow recently sold and posted some 140 photos on the auction website - one of the best jobs of selling a Cord I have seen in a while (albeit even at 130k sale price they probably lost money on car given quality of restoration).

I attached the link:

bringatrailer.com/listing/1937-cord-812-westchester-sc/

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Jan 2020 05:12 #39254 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Latest ACD News
Thanks for the great picture. Is this plug functional or does the 10 wire harness just pass thru it? It has been suggested we do NOT use the two piece harness. Doing that increases the chance of electrical shorts. There is 40 opportunities for a bad connection in this plug. But being an owner wanting originality I still have not decided if I will purchase the 10 wire harness as one piece or two pieces.
I noticed you have the Autolite spark plugs. I really like there looks. Over the past several years I have "collected" nearly every Champion H10 plug from Ebay. They include the original two ring beer bottle plugs. Most are used but I have at least one full set of new. Then the 5 ring black body plugs I bet I have 5 sets. Finally the Cad plated body plugs I still have probably 7 full sets. I treat the cad bodies with gun gluing and they come out looking great. Just like the original black body plugs. It takes about 10 bluing's to reach the color I want. Several club members have purchased them from me. One of these members has told me others refer to me as Dr Spark Plug... Kind of funny really.
I also noticed the heads and the head bolts. Are those heads original or the better high capacity heads? Are the head bolts something special? I know original head bolt heads could have no markings of just a "W" on them. Your engine appears to be well finished too. Love the Cadet Grey color too.

Gary Parsons

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
11 Jan 2020 19:33 #39249 by johnmereness

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2020 16:14 #39210 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Latest ACD News
Jim another item has interested me plenty. Thats how the 10 wires connect in the shifter on the column. I saw a drawing once but seeing an article explaining the hows and whys will help me and plenty of others. Personally I have not decided yet if I want to make this a one piece harness or actually use the large plug that attaches under the drivers foot well in the engine compartment.

Gary Parsons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2020 05:12 #39206 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Latest ACD News
I found the last Newsletter the best in a long time. I was skeptical of going to only 6 a year, but I think it has helped the content greatly.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2020 00:57 #39205 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Latest ACD News
Thanks Gary, I'm trying to write articles that I think Cord owners can use and will keep our cars on the road and derivable. If you or anyone else has any suggestions on articles they would like to see please let me know.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2020 06:02 #39164 by 1748 S
Latest ACD News was created by 1748 S
Today I received in my mail the latest ACD news and the article by Jim O' Brien was well written on some very interesting topics. I knew very well the part about the spring hanger bolts and the wheels cracking.. But had no idea about the correct placement of the steering column to the dash and the front hugs cracking. Its well written articles like this I feel need to be shared as much as possible to keep our cars SAFELY on the roads for everyone's enjoyments. Thanks Jim.

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: JIM.OBRIEN