Skip to main content

Front Brake Hose

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
22 May 2021 21:22 #43236 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Front Brake Hose
Hi Gary, when my Cord arrived in Australia is was fitted with molded rubber covers on all of the ball joints to keep dirt out and grease contained. They were all deteriorated so I made replacements. Nobody whom I contacted had any knowledge of them or where I could get replacements.
I'm running a set of Richardson drive shafts complete with modern CV joints.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 May 2021 11:02 #43233 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Front Brake Hose
Thanks Terry for the great picture of what has been discussed here for a long time. This topic leaves no questions as to how this fits.
I do see two other thing in your pictures I question.What is wraped around the ball joint arm and what type of outer universal joints are you using?

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
22 May 2021 07:49 - 22 May 2021 07:51 #43231 by Terry Cockerell
Today I tried fitting the piece of hose and clamping bracket to one steering arm.
It worked out just fine. The hose is 1 1/4" inside diameter and can be forced over the end of the steering arm at the bolted connection end. You don't need to touch the ball joint end unless that is apart.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 May 2021 07:51 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
06 May 2021 04:52 - 07 May 2021 11:29 #43070 by Terry Cockerell
George Van Nostrand tells me that the rubber hose is slid over the steering arm and the brake line . The clamp just holds the rubber hose in place.
I will get to check this out on my Cord in the not too distant future and post pictures.
The attached picture arrived from George, it shows how the Factory did it.
Thanks George.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 May 2021 11:29 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
05 May 2021 22:26 - 05 May 2021 22:28 #43061 by Terry Cockerell
It appears that the rubber hose in the attached picture is too large in diameter.
The metal clamp and its position are ok. The brake hose has to loop down under the trailing arm as per Service Bulletin No 24

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 May 2021 22:28 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
05 May 2021 14:57 #43058 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Front Brake Hose
Wyn You are correct.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
04 May 2021 14:21 #43047 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Front Brake Hose
On the last Cord I put together, this is how I ran the brake hose, it always goes under the trailing arm. My set up has been modified a little bit for this driver. When I ordered the new front brake lines, I was disappointed that they have really cheapened them up, no wear near as “hefty” as originals. When installing I added an additional rubber hose and zip tied it together

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 May 2021 13:12 #43043 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Front Brake Hose
If the hose is supposed to go under the arm per Cord bulletin #24, the perhaps the cylindrical rubber piece shown the above photo is mounted "upside down". If the clamp remains in the same place as shown in the photo, but the arm was passed through the rubber piece before being mounted, then the hose could indeed go under the arm. Can anyone confirm that this would be correct?

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
31 Dec 2019 15:41 #39138 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Front Brake Hose
As per Cord bulletin number 24 ,, “when reassembling that the hose goes UNDER the arm and that the rubber clamp is in the proper position on the arm and brake tube.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
31 Dec 2019 06:25 #39134 by Terry Cockerell
I have read that when the engineers studied the Citroen FWD gear box they also looked at the Citroen wish bone suspension but opted for their own design to handle the weight. The Cord suspension is simple and robust but during the current restoration of my Cord I wished that they had made provision for adjusting the locations of the trailing arms with self aligning inner bearings and shims for the outer bearings. My front end had been damaged during a collision in the dim past. It has been straightened out the best we could do. I should imagine others have faced the same problem.
Overall when you get under the front end of a Cord and study it they did a great job maintaining simplicity of design within a pretty compact area.
Hat's off to the design team. The members present at the early Auburn Meets had the privilege of speaking with the engineers who designed the cars. Pity we can't turn back the clock to ask more questions.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
31 Dec 2019 04:43 #39133 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Front Brake Hose
nice photo, the band looks like 1" slice of 2 1/2" radiator hose would work. The spindle grease overflow copper tube has a metal band to hold it to the swing arm, very nice details. Nice to see minimum use of cad hardware preserving factory type appearance. There were two types of outer joint covers, this 37? has four screws holding it to spindle housing. There was another earlier style that has a fine threaded sleeve tube. I once asked JM why the change? He answered my question, "It was because of cost, and cheaper to make as the company wanted to save $ in 1937".
I am not sure of the details but if anyone knows, this was a great suspension, not often discussed and light years ahead of anything else at the time.
Built from the gathered L29 experience with improved weight and c/v spindle configuration
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
31 Dec 2019 03:13 #39131 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Front Brake Hose
thanks for the perfect picture. I sure wouldn't have imagined this is how they fit. Sadly my car did not come with these on it.

Gary Parsons

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
31 Dec 2019 02:27 #39130 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Front Brake Hose
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Dec 2019 17:23 #39122 by 1748 S
Front Brake Hose was created by 1748 S
Our cars require brake hose clamps to the steering arms to keep the hoses from rubbing the tires. So I purchased the clamp and clip from Stan. No instructions for installation came with these. Plus my car did not have the metal clips or the rubber band to secure the hose. Electrical friction tape was on my car. It worked but now I need to see pictures of how this is installed correctly. Thanks for any pictures of original or restored pieces.

Gary Parsons
Attachments: