Skip to main content

What does the original insulation wrap on the exhaust pipes look like 810-812 ?

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2019 05:34 #39071 by johnmereness
On a later 30's and 40's Cadillac:

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2019 05:25 - 17 Dec 2019 05:36 #39070 by johnmereness
Hunting who I bought the 1939 LaSalle exhaust wrap from, but it was basically the same as this (as a sidenote: the stuff would not keep for really long as it is "wet" in a plastic bag prior to installation - it is also somewhat fragile to install:

www.caddydaddy.com/cadillac-e-h-p-wet-bl...ping-in-the-usa.html

REPRODUCTION. E.H.P. Wet Blankets incorporate an inorganic bonding agent to form a very pliable product that can be molded to conform to any irregular surface or contour. When cured, it hardens, allowing it to be sawed, cut, or sanded, and is usable in temperatures to 3200 degrees Farenheit*. Heat can be cut down anywhere from 50 to 75%. The E.H.P. Wet Blankets have been widely used for exhaust systems, turbo charger applications, and anyplace that heat needs to be retained within its source.

It is supplied wet in a sealed bag. It should be stored in a cool place and kept from freezing. Complete instructions are included with 3 mounting straps.

engineheatprotection.com/hot-rod/

engineheatprotection.com/product/e-h-p-wet-blanket/

Sidenote: You can see a picture of the Duesenberg that Randy Ema restored for Jay Leno getting insulation added to exhaust.

JMM
Last edit: 17 Dec 2019 05:36 by johnmereness.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2019 14:54 #39064 by balinwire
those are very large down-pipes that would radiate lots of heat under-hood. The factory got it right to shield these pipes behind the radiator that would cook the air behind the radiator, a fan shroud might help. The idea of the outside pipes is flow that helped the blown cars get the hot exhaust out. You could set severe burns touching these even with the flexible metal cover shields. The dangers of asbestos inhalation were not known but at the time is was a common shielding product.

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2019 16:10 #39061 by johnmereness
I used some sort of wrap on the 1939 LaSalle Bohman & Schwartz - it was "a blanket" in a plastic bag and was sopping wet - I molded it around the pie and when it dried it looked similar to this. I will try to reasearch,

JMM

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2019 01:32 #39052 by balinwire
Amazing photo. The hose clamps on the upper water hose seems correct and the honeycomb radiator is correct. Everything I gave up finding years ago. I was going to encase my down exhaust pipe in a modern ace bandage type spiral. How this fragile, brittle covering survived is beyond amazing.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
14 Dec 2019 17:16 #39046 by 1748 S
I took this above picture of an unmolested Cord at the 2018 west coast meet in Morro Bay. It is Asbestos pipe insulation commonly used in the power plant steam line insulation. Today we can make up insulation that is non Asbestos. It comes different pipe sizes and thickness. I believe this was 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick.

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Dec 2019 14:57 - 14 Dec 2019 14:59 #39041 by johnmereness
What does the original insulation wrap on the exhaust pipes look like 810-812 ?

JMM
Last edit: 14 Dec 2019 14:59 by johnmereness.