Skip to main content

Cord headlight lens mishap - Anyone make replacements?

More
11 Jan 2020 21:58 #39252 by xjn001
Halogen Bulbs--- I used halogen bulbs with the wattage 50/60 in an original 1936 Auburn headlamp without any trouble. Perhaps the higher wattage bulbs would produce too much heat. Mine were okay but did have to modify the reflector. My car was a replica wi l parts.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2020 19:05 #39245 by VLM
They can be halogen or LED. Heat does not seem to be an issue on the Saab halogen headlights and the space if fairly airtight. They are 55/60 watt bulbs. I'm not sure how they dissipate the heat.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
11 Jan 2020 17:25 #39242 by mikespeed35
Are H4 bulbs halogen? If so what about the heat?
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
11 Jan 2020 04:45 #39236 by VLM
A friend of mine just manufactured the square and round lens covers in glass for the Studebaker Avanti. This one wouldn't be all that difficult for him to make. Anybody have an idea of the demand? They would be more like $100 rather than $1000 if he did it. Can anyone post a picture of the reflector set? I have five Cord sedans yet have never seen the Riteway lamps. Everybody must have swapped them out for seal beams pretty quickly after they were released. I wonder if one of the H4 bulbs used in my Saab 96s could be adapted into a new reflector to allow the old glass lens' to perform better than the seal beams?

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2019 05:35 #38989 by mikespeed35
The gentleman in the film having the parts made is from Grand Rapids MI.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2019 16:04 #38985 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Cord headlight lens mishap - Anyone make replacements?
Michael: Please email me at [email protected]. I may be able to help.
Tim.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2019 15:02 #38983 by johnmereness
Two weeks ago, Dan Badger at America's Packard Museum was showing me fabulous 1933 Packard Super Eight Taillamp lenses he was reproducing in a plastic and I mention d the Cord issue - he replied that he was well aware as a friend previously mentioned regarding his Custom Beverly that has recently been shown at ACD festival - you may talk him into reproducing - (937) 226-1710.

JMM

• auburnandyscar
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2019 04:37 #38970 by auburnandyscar
Replied by auburnandyscar on topic Cord headlight lens mishap - Anyone make replacements?
I had never seen the "Alumilite", thanks so much for posting that!

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2019 21:30 - 03 Dec 2019 06:51 #38969 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Cord headlight lens mishap - Anyone make replacements?
This You Tube film is brilliant. I was not aware of ALUMILITE before, thanks for sharing this. It really is a pity that more members do not contribute to these Forums however thanks to all those who do.

T cockerell
Last edit: 03 Dec 2019 06:51 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text.
The following user(s) said Thank You: auburnandyscar

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2019 10:13 #38966 by balinwire
I have never tried this but I have a friend that has been making motorcycle lens for years and they can be cast in color for tail with great success, you need a vacuum chamber to draw out gas bubbles in casting before cure.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2019 06:48 #38965 by 1748 S
Thanks Randy. The person in Europe that made up reproduction glass lenses still evades me. For some funny reason I can't find the posting using our search engine in this web site. I remember actually seeing what was made and the price for 2 lens was about $200.00. I think but am not sure the sign on name was Emporature or something like that. It definitely was over there.

Gary Parsons

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2019 02:00 #38964 by RumRunner
Randy, Gary - thanks for the info. Just emailed him.
Mr. Jonathan Richards - believe me, it pained me when it happened. I have every intent to keep it as original as possible!
Thanks all for your help.
-Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2019 01:57 #38963 by RandyEma
Steiner
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2019 00:25 #38962 by 1748 S
Dr Styer of California has a set of what appears plastic repro headlight lens in the For Sale section. He is a Dentist too.

Gary Parsons

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2019 21:54 #38961 by pete kelly
"I seem to remember that the replacement lenses were a copy of the export lens and not 3900 or 3387. "
Here I am referring to the glass lenses made in Europe

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2019 20:38 #38960 by uconn_1965
I think the plastic lens were made by a club member in California that was a dentist.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2019 18:34 #38958 by pete kelly
I seem to remember that the replacement lenses were a copy of the export lens and not 3900 or 3387.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2019 18:19 #38957 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Cord headlight lens mishap - Anyone make replacements?
Hello, Michael, I am so sorry to hear of your "mishap" with the headlamp lens on Geneva ( S#32410S). Years ago I had several OEM glass Riteway lenses but they are long gone. One of the many charms of Geneva was her original headlamp configuration. Perhaps you will be forced to convert to sealed beam units , thereby having much better lighting , but I hope not. Good luck in finding a replacement. Best Regards, Jonathan Richards #1080, a prior custodian of this fine automobile.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2019 15:59 #38955 by 1748 S
Thanks for the lens part number Pete. About 3 years back I recall a member over in Europe was making replacement glass lenses. My efforts using our search engine on this web site is lacking. I think maybe the member was from Switzerland. Just CRS... Can't remember something....

GaryParsons

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2019 01:28 #38950 by pete kelly
Actually 3387
There were replacements made several years ago in plastic but I don't know who made them.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2019 00:15 #38949 by 1748 S
Our beloved Cords had two distinct lenses. The 3900 was and remains the desired lens Am not sure but believe the other lens was the 3886. The numbers are very difficult to see and read. Last cost quoted me was $1000.00 by Henry Portz. My car was converted to sealed beam long ago... Well before 1961. I won't be returning to original types because of the safety factor. Seal beams are much brighter than the bulb n reflector. I believe I have a set of original re silvered reflectors. I need to see some pictures before I will know for sure. Next time I visit a well known restoration shop I plan taking a reflector with me. I know the shop has an original set.
Just a suggestion when you try to install the replacement. Lay down plenty of soft blankets or towels just in case "something happens". I sold some Fog King lens to a member that was replacing a burned out bulb and even had some blankets under this but. The lens fell from the hands and bounced off the blankets on the the concrete breaking hearts everywhere...

Gary Parsons

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Nov 2019 23:31 #38948 by RumRunner
I think the lens number is 3900. The third digit is hard to make out. Could be 3990 or something else 39_0.

-Michael

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
30 Nov 2019 23:28 #38947 by pete kelly
What was the lens number on the inside at the bottom?

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Nov 2019 21:21 #38946 by RumRunner
I thought I would take one last drive of 2019 today before the weather turns too terrible, and upon returning decided to fix both headlight lenses that had worked their way off the light housing and were causing the pop-up lights to bind. So I fixed the passenger side, and then was working on the driver side when somehow I dropped the headlight lens and it broke into several pieces.

Curious if anyone has or makes replacements? My lenses say "RITEWAY HEADLAMP" up top, and "THE CORCORAN BROWN LAMP CO" at the bottom.

-Michael

1937 Cord 812 Beverly Supercharged
1974 Glen Pray Auburn 866 Speedster
1972 Buick Boattail Riviera