Cord headlight lens mishap - Anyone make replacements?

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
30 Nov 2019 21:21 #38946 by RumRunner
I thought I would take one last drive of 2019 today before the weather turns too terrible, and upon returning decided to fix both headlight lenses that had worked their way off the light housing and were causing the pop-up lights to bind. So I fixed the passenger side, and then was working on the driver side when somehow I dropped the headlight lens and it broke into several pieces.

Curious if anyone has or makes replacements? My lenses say "RITEWAY HEADLAMP" up top, and "THE CORCORAN BROWN LAMP CO" at the bottom.

-Michael

1937 Cord 812 Beverly Supercharged
1974 Glen Pray Auburn 866 Speedster
1972 Buick Boattail Riviera

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2019 23:28 #38947 by pete kelly
What was the lens number on the inside at the bottom?

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
30 Nov 2019 23:31 #38948 by RumRunner
I think the lens number is 3900. The third digit is hard to make out. Could be 3990 or something else 39_0.

-Michael

More
01 Dec 2019 00:15 #38949 by 1748 S
Our beloved Cords had two distinct lenses. The 3900 was and remains the desired lens Am not sure but believe the other lens was the 3886. The numbers are very difficult to see and read. Last cost quoted me was $1000.00 by Henry Portz. My car was converted to sealed beam long ago... Well before 1961. I won't be returning to original types because of the safety factor. Seal beams are much brighter than the bulb n reflector. I believe I have a set of original re silvered reflectors. I need to see some pictures before I will know for sure. Next time I visit a well known restoration shop I plan taking a reflector with me. I know the shop has an original set.
Just a suggestion when you try to install the replacement. Lay down plenty of soft blankets or towels just in case "something happens". I sold some Fog King lens to a member that was replacing a burned out bulb and even had some blankets under this but. The lens fell from the hands and bounced off the blankets on the the concrete breaking hearts everywhere...

Gary Parsons

More
01 Dec 2019 01:28 #38950 by pete kelly
Actually 3387
There were replacements made several years ago in plastic but I don't know who made them.

More
01 Dec 2019 15:59 #38955 by 1748 S
Thanks for the lens part number Pete. About 3 years back I recall a member over in Europe was making replacement glass lenses. My efforts using our search engine on this web site is lacking. I think maybe the member was from Switzerland. Just CRS... Can't remember something....

GaryParsons

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds