New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Transmission pumps

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
28 Nov 2019 10:30 #38932 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Transmission pumps
I am presently working on my transmission oil pump. It is completely trashed. I am plugging the passageway from the transmission to the gears and bringing the oil outside the pump and past magnets before going back into the pump housing and gears. I know it is not "original" but anything would be better than the original design. I plan to build a reliable driver.
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
28 Nov 2019 14:09 #38933 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Transmission pumps
Mike - What is the magnet on the oil filter really doing? The filter will take out any metal in the oil so the magnet is redundant. The only way the magnet would do any good is if the filter ruptured allowing the oil to go thru without being filtered. In that case you have bigger issues.
JIm

More
28 Nov 2019 16:33 #38934 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Transmission pumps

JIM.OBRIEN wrote: Mike - What is the magnet on the oil filter really doing? The filter will take out any metal in the oil so the magnet is redundant. The only way the magnet would do any good is if the filter ruptured allowing the oil to go thru without being filtered. In that case you have bigger issues.
JIm

Jim is is not exactly true. Nearly every engine oil filter is only "catching" the big stuff.. What damages the engine surfaces has always been the small unseen particles carried thru the filter by the oil. I know of only one filter that works on the small stuff. Its called OBERG... Its a screen only type element and it sure will filter the bad stuff out of the oil. Even a fresh rebuilt engine is rubbing off metalic pieces on the first stratup. The plugs up the screen to set the alarm light off telling you your in bypass and to clean the screen. Remember dirty oil is better than no oil. Even today on a cold stratup our engine oil is thick. So much so that it causes the oil to go theu the bypass. In my diesel the oil filter as with most filters has a built in bypass so the engine gets oil no matter what.. My oil filter adapter that is factory has an oil regulating valve in it. Without the regulator the filter will be blown off the mount.
Many filter studies have been done explaining how the filter media captures a certain size contaminant but allows smaller to pass with the oil..
I do understand a few things about our transmission in the Cord thru so many helpful tips on this and other members. Sadly if our synchro hubs over-travel causes the springs and balls to fall out. Then they drop down into the lower cluster. That causes any tans to need overhaul. Breaking off a gear tooth is as bad in the same way.

Gary Parsons

More
28 Nov 2019 23:35 #38936 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Transmission pumps
I recall someone posting how to make a screen for this area some time in the last 18 months. I did a search but.. Our manner of search is to say... Different... I can seldom even find what I KNOW I have posted or have commented on... So to those that have mastered this web site search engine. Please do some looking. Every combination using grease pump, trans oil pump overhaul or many others turns up nothing.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
More
29 Nov 2019 02:42 #38937 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Transmission pumps
After reading Jim's comments regarding screens before the gear oil pump I had a closer look at the area and realised the inlet of the oil pump is much smaller than the rectangular hole in the gear case and shims, consequently any screen here will restrict the flow. It looks like a suitable screen can still be used however the oil pump inlet needs to be opened up. There is a lot of metal in this area than can be ground out so as not to restrict the flow.
I will be posting some sketch ideas soon.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
29 Nov 2019 05:17 #38938 by rlwardne
Replied by rlwardne on topic Transmission pumps
My pump has been machined at the inlet area and they installed a screen and press fit a ring to hold the screen in. Only prob is the screen has a big weave.
My thought was to pull oil from bottom of case, Run to a screened fuel filter that is around 100 140 micron screen. The filter unit is decent sized that it will pass plenty of volume. Plug inlet of pump and tap side for inlet from the filter. All this will be below the fill line of the trans.
All the pieces are available from Speedway, Jegs. Summit
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds