New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Transmission pumps

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
03 Dec 2019 21:38 #38974 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Transmission pumps
Hi Terry, While your open area is equal to the inlet area of the pump you are forgetting the pressure drop across these holes. The oil is 140 wt which is fairly thick. There is nothing "forcing" the oil thru the hole, only the suction of the pump trying to pull the oil thru. Off the top of my head (it's been a few years since I sized an inlet screen) on an application like this I would look at the inlet screen to have at three times the open area of the pump inlet to minimize the pressure drop and not restrict the flow.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
More
04 Dec 2019 04:25 - 04 Dec 2019 04:27 #38976 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Transmission pumps
Jim, you have convinced me to forget about installing the screen. I suppose in hind sight I was very lucky that the gear box had not failed due to the flow reduction introduced by the screen with the smaller holes.
Thanks again for steering me in the right direction. Your comments are worth many "Dollars."

T cockerell
Last edit: 04 Dec 2019 04:27 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding text
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
04 Dec 2019 18:39 #38979 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Transmission pumps
Hi Terry, I'm glad to see you are doing your restoration the right way, thinking about what you are doing and asking questions. I'm starting (when I find time) the restoration of my Cord with the same goal as you - I want a great driving Cord when I'm done, one that is as correct as possible. Remember when these cars were new they ran and ran well, people used them as daily drivers and went on very long trips. Not saying they didn't have problems but they were reliable cars.

I want to see photos when you are done!!!
CORDially,
Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds