• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
24 Nov 2019 19:30 #38899 by rlwardne
Transmission pumps was created by rlwardne
You guys rebuilding trans
pumps that are installing screens in the inlet, what mesh of screen are you using?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
26 Nov 2019 08:59 - 26 Nov 2019 21:03 #38911 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Transmission pumps
I too am interested in what comments come in. When I first acquired my Cord back in 2007 the transmission filter was full of coarse metal shavings which cam e through the oil pump and screen before it. I decided to make a new screen with smaller holes however I will have the check the sizes of both screens tomorrow. I had thought about finer metal gauze but figured it may be to frail. High powered magnets were added to all drain plugs to trap any loose metal particles. I will post the screen hole sizes tomorrow.
Original screen plate in gear box had holes 0.100" diameter
New screen plate has holes 0.075" diameter
After seeing the amount of shavings in the filter when first removed I expected the oil pump gears to be destroyed however they were in excellent condition. The cover plate had score marks that were sanded out on a face plate using fine emery paper and kerosene.

T cockerell
Last edit: 26 Nov 2019 21:03 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding further information

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
27 Nov 2019 20:50 #38927 by rlwardne
Replied by rlwardne on topic Transmission pumps
One of mine has a screen, but way to large. These pumps have fairly tight tolerance like .005. In my mind a guy needs screen for 100 to 140 micron. Both incidents on my car were from running metal particles thru.

I would venture to say that a lot of cars dont have operating pumps unless they have a way to monitor the pressure side. I have a gauge coming off the trans filter. It was around 30 psi with fairly heavy oil, in 10 miles it locked and wiped out the tang again. This whole system is backwards. What Id really like is an engine driven pump and not have to worry about it at all. I do have a mod in mind using a screened filter and pull the oil from the trans case and tap the the pump inlet.

More
27 Nov 2019 21:06 #38929 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Transmission pumps
In every engine I have ever taken apart I find an oil pump pickup screen BEFORE the actual oli pump. It seems like this is a bad idea. But looking closely at it we find any oil, even if its dirty oil bypassing a plugged filter is better than no oil. Some of the later built Cord tranmisiions had a raised oil pickup designed into the bottom of the trans case. It was a hope that pieces of the trans rears would settle there and not go thru the trans oil pump. Today we have some incredibly strong magnets. So placing them along the bottom of the trans may "collect" the harmful magnetic pieces. I have the magnetic drain plugs in my trans and engine oil pan. But more is not going to be an issue. On the bottom of every car or truck I drive daily is a speaker round magnet. I know others and place the same magnets on the bottom of the oil pan. Then when its oil change time you remove the magnets and drain the oil hoping the collected metal fuzz washes out. Ever change the oil in any auto trans? See the magnet inside has all the fuzzy metal stuck to it... They work..
Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
27 Nov 2019 21:27 #38930 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Transmission pumps
Putting a filter after the pump is standard engineering design practice. You do not want the filter before the pump in this type of application. What you want before the filter is a "strainer" to keep large particles out. If the transmissions are rebuilt properly the only large particles you have to worry about are the teeth when you break second gear. At that point you are rebuilding the transmission and pump anyway.

Best practice is to put a good magnet (rare earth) in the pipe plug at the front bottom of the transmission. This will catch any large particles as well as a mess of smaller ones from grinding 1st and reverse.

Putting a filter in front of the Cord transmission pump is asking for trouble. You will not be able to get the proper oil flow thru it.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
28 Nov 2019 05:01 #38931 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Transmission pumps
I have seen a Co. or Companies that sell a magnet
that goes around the oil filter for modern cars. Since all oil goers through the filter on modern cars probable not a bad idea. I know some oil goes through the bypass.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds