Skip to main content

Armored Cord 812

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
14 Nov 2019 07:02 - 14 Nov 2019 07:06 #38855 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Armored Cord 812
Mike the pictures you are referring to are of a phaeton Pictures No JBA 759 through to 763. This may have been the phaeton owned by William Horning in Canada during the late 1950s and stable mate to the Actonite Cord.
There is another picture of a Cord sedan with a spare in the fender in the Brockman Collection presumably there were spares both sides picture No JBA 791, this may be the same car that is currently for sale?
Gary Morgan told me there was a pile of spares that came with the car when he bought it including a fender with the spare wheel pocket from a cabriolet.
Obviously there were a few cars made with various body styles that were equipped with twin side mounted spares.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Nov 2019 07:06 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Nov 2019 05:13 #38854 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Armored Cord 812
There are photos of a side mounted Cord in Jim Brockman's photo's. Unrestored in a field.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2019 21:19 #38851 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Armored Cord 812
Jim, I had corresponded with Garry Morgan the owner of this amazing Cord in the past. He believes the side mounted spares were Factory fitted and that the armour may have been subcontracted out when the car was originally built.
The rear windows were fixed due to the armour inside of the doors. Actually the window glass was around 1" thick and was probably bullet proof.
It certainly is an interesting Cord and an extremely rare one. The connection with Mr Long as you say is not realistic.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2019 01:50 #38842 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Armored Cord 812
The story behind this Cord is just that. Huey Long died September 10, 1935, before the Cord was introduced and before one could be ordered, never mind a 1937 Custom. There is no documentation that I know of to back up the story. I would seriously doubt the factory ever "armor plated" a Cord.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• Joe Holderman
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2019 16:48 - 12 Nov 2019 16:52 #38836 by Joe Holderman
Armored Cord 812 was created by Joe Holderman

Future Cord owner.

Messenger Link: m.me/hotrodjoe
Last edit: 12 Nov 2019 16:52 by Joe Holderman.