Skip to main content

Timing Chain replacement

• Blackiron
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Oct 2019 03:11 #38700 by Blackiron
Replied by Blackiron on topic Timing Chain replacement
Thanks Jim, this is what I suspected. I don’t believe the chain is bad enough to warrant pulling the engine so will leave it be for now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
27 Oct 2019 00:29 #38698 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Timing Chain replacement
I know what the factory says, but after working on a lot of these engines there is no way you are going to change that timing chain with the engine in the car without cutting a hole in the firewall. There are too many potential problems in trying to do it with the engine in the car. The first is trying to pull the generator pully.

Your best bet is to pull the engine and do the job right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2019 22:09 #38655 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Timing Chain replacement
I should imagine that when Cords became just cheap old cars it was a lot easier to cut a hole through the firewall than pull the engine. Technical information was pretty scarce for a long time too.
Henry Portz talked to me about fitting two tensioners with adjustments made through the timing case to keep the valve timing correct.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2019 18:22 #38652 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Timing Chain replacement
Many "mechanics" cut the firewall to change the timing chains.Some butchered the firewall horribly as history has shown.Stan sells a firewall replacement pics for this reason.
In the news letter number 10 of 2018 in the for sale section a member named Peter Morgan of Sheridan MT sells new American made timing chains for $295.00 He lists two phone numbers. 406-842-7655 & 337-241-6689

Gary Parsons

• Blackiron
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2019 04:27 #38646 by Blackiron
Replied by Blackiron on topic Timing Chain replacement
Thanks guys for the replies,. I dropped the oil pan for a routine clean out and to fit the suggested O ring to the Float-O. While off I put my finger up into the timing chain cover to check chain slack, it has around 3/4” side movement.
I do not want to pull the engine if it can be changed in the Shop Notes five hours by raising the recommended 2-3” , hence my question as to why so many Cords have chopped firewalls.
I also seem to remember a very old post detailing how to fit a tensioner, adjustable from the side of the cover, has anyone done this mod ?

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2019 03:54 #38645 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Timing Chain replacement
Please DO NOT CUT firewall.Its tight to do it in frame but it can be done.. Whay not remove the engine? I realize you can remove the trans by loosening it.Then slide it forwards turning it 180 degrees and lifting it out. Then the engine can be lifted out.Yes, there is severalthings that must be removed for the engine to come out like the drive shaft inner universal joint housings but the outer ends of the driveshafts I'm told do not have to be removed. I do not know this for a fact either. Have just been reading for many years about this job. Why do you feel you need to replace the timing chain? You might need both the cam & crank gears too. These parts are very difficult to find. Whitney was the original makers of the gears and chain.I purchased a few original Whitney chains from a seller on ebay and made my own chain. The non supercharged chain is 1 1/2 inch wide and 1/2 inch pitch. The non supercharged chain is 1 1/4 inch wide with same 1/2 inch pitch. Not sure but can check if the number of links is 57. A wide chain fits the non supercharged engines but you MUST use the deeper timing chain case. Years ago JK Howell made both gears and some are in collections somewhere. Egge machine shop in Whittier Ca. has the timing chain but its a loose fit .. I have forgotten who makes the new chains. I can find out later if interested.My original chain nearly touched the opposite side when squeezed together between the cam and crank gear. It was well worn.Engine ran fine too but its getting replaced no matter what.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2019 03:36 #38644 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Timing Chain replacement
No, I have not done this with the engine in the car however the Cord Service Manual dated June 5th 1936
says,
1. Place a wooden block across the rear of the oil pan and place jack under it.
2.Remove rear engine mount bolts.
3. Jack up rear end of engine 2 to 3 "
4. Remover generator pulley.
5. Remove chain case, all cap screws are easily reached from under car.
6. Remove and replace timing chain.
Sounds too easy but that is what the Factory recommended.
You would also have to disconnect the exhaust pipes and other things.
You can get a copy of the Service manual from the Museum in Auburn.

T cockerell

• Blackiron
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2019 01:30 #38643 by Blackiron
Timing Chain replacement was created by Blackiron
Has anyone replaced their Timing Chain without pulling the engine ?. The shop notes say this can be done in five hours by raising the rear of the engine. How does that explain all the Cords with chopped firewalls. Seems wishful thinking to me.