Skip to main content

Rhode Island Wiring

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
14 Oct 2019 13:32 #38595 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Rhode Island Wiring
Get a rotisserie

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Oct 2019 07:17 - 14 Oct 2019 07:20 #38594 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Rhode Island Wiring
Gary it would be possible to rotate the body with an adjustable rotisserie.
I had to make one for my Westchester for grit blasting. As I didn't know where the centre of gravity would be I had to make the rotisserie adjustable.
You would have to be very careful with the doors so that they could not swing open during the rotation.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Oct 2019 07:20 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2019 15:26 #38593 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rhode Island Wiring
That's a good idea terry.Laying on my back hurts especially on an uneven fllor. Most people have no idea how difficult it is to work overhead with your arms up for hours. It really makes one feel weak after about 30 minutes arms held overhead. Wouldn't it be great if we could turn our cars on their sides or upside down to install the headliner...

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2019 04:17 - 13 Oct 2019 04:24 #38592 by Terry Cockerell
A more user friendly approach if you are completely restoring a Cord is to make up a temporary wooden floor using plywood and packers. This makes life so much better for the trimmer who is installing the headlining by working on a flat surface. I also used it to install everything under the dash board with the aid of a pillow or two.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Oct 2019 04:24 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
12 Oct 2019 16:30 - 12 Oct 2019 16:30 #38591 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Rhode Island Wiring
Under dash is not hard (generally speaking in any car that I have had) - just make sure you remove or move the front seat to rear seat area and get some heavy shipping blankets to lay on. You probably also need to address things like the dash light wiring while harness is on workbench prior to installation (and headlight switch wiring too).

JMM
Last edit: 12 Oct 2019 16:30 by johnmereness.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Oct 2019 16:25 #38588 by 1748 S
Big surprise yesterday. My Rhode Island harness came. I ordered it on Oct. 1st. and it arrived on the 10th. VERY HAPPY. I believe what I'm told when ordering something. Then when it arrives early I'm impressed. The tail light armored cable is very well made. It looks identical to what I removed. Can't wait to order some other pieces. Think I will order the all the shift harness and the generator harness next. Lastly will be the under dash harness. That's the BIG ONE... I'm intimidated by the complexity of it.

Gary Parsons

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2019 21:49 #38566 by 1748 S
Thank you tom.Just wanted to be sure this was standard for our cars. Didn't want to feel I was getting something special. I'm delighted to find out we can order the harness from the steering column all the way to the trans vacuum box and all the other switches in one piece.The main harness plug under the foot-well in the engine compartment has always given me concerns. Ten wires pass thru it. There are a total of forty connections where we can have shorts...Even if we use soldier on twenty of the connections. Have thought many hours on how to make this are foolproof. Using die electric grease.. Soldiering connections..But one piece wins out. Even that has its built in problems..

Gary Parsons

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2019 21:31 #38565 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Rhode Island Wiring
Gary--yes, they told me 4 weeks. It's standard for these custom-made harnesses. My guess is that they don't inventory harnesses for "uncommon" vehicles.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2019 14:01 #38555 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Rhode Island Wiring
The make one harness after the next for Auburns - the 4 weeks is standard and sometimes for something really custom 6 or 7 weeks, but never any issues of any kind and the quality is fabulous !!!

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2019 23:49 - 04 Oct 2019 23:51 #38553 by 1748 S
Tom... Were you told 4 weeks on delivery on your harness like Travis told me on my purchases? Only reason I ask is I have never purchased from them before. They gave me the feeling of professional about everything. All the Rhode Island harness pieces have been from ebay sellers or from club members. Sometimes they are one in the same...

Gary Parsons
Last edit: 04 Oct 2019 23:51 by 1748 S.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2019 21:23 #38552 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Rhode Island Wiring
I too ordered the one-piece harness. I am looking forward to its arrival.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2019 13:41 #38550 by 1748 S
Thanks Terry for this ability to order a modification to the harness.I have been giving this idea plenty of thought.I strive for original but this one piece design removes 40 possible shorts in the main plug area. I know I can just run the 10 wire harness thru a modified plug and it still has the looks of originality. I don't think any judge will try to open the harness plug to see if I have changed it. I also realize if any problems happen in the steering shift contact area I will have to remove the complete harness from the car instead of just removing the one side from the plug. Even doing that will be a major issue because of the soldier. Its a long ways off at this time...

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2019 01:10 #38543 by Terry Cockerell
Gary, they do excellent work. You can order your shift cable in one piece without the ten pin plug.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Oct 2019 22:22 #38542 by 1748 S
Rhode Island Wiring was created by 1748 S
I placed an order today from Rhode Island wiring. Just a note to anyone wanting to order from them.They explained its a 4 week turn around. Lucky for me I'm in no hurry.My harness for the body, rear tail lights and the starter cables are complete now. Next is the shift harness.Can hardly wait for them to get here.

Gary Parsons