810 trunk interior

More
15 Nov 2019 12:59 - 15 Nov 2019 13:06 #38865 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 810 trunk interior
Jaguar used a material for the trunk mats and such through 50's and 60's - my guess it has the tanish-colored heavy woven Jute backing material for the mats is what we are looking for:

www.muncieimports.com/interior-products.html

www.basjaguartrim.com/

JMM
Last edit: 15 Nov 2019 13:06 by johnmereness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2019 04:14 #38871 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic 810 trunk interior

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
20 Nov 2019 13:03 #38880 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic 810 trunk interior
Below is another original sample of lined burlap taken from #31934S, courtesy of Pete Kelly.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

More
22 Nov 2019 04:54 #38888 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic 810 trunk interior
this reminded me of Porsche floor mats, I asked this distributor if he had anything, his response, Good afternoon,

We do have 2 options for you. I recommend the Grey Tweed, and then you can die it to be the color you need. Please see the image link below for a quality image sample of the Grey Tweed

collectorsautosupply.sirv.com/Supplier/R...rey-Tweed-Carpet.jpg

The second option is the Brown Tweed pattern that we have, but it looks like it may not work for your requirements, due to the color pattern. Please see the image link below for the Brown Tweed.

collectorsautosupply.sirv.com/Supplier/R...own-Tweed-Carpet.jpg

Let us know what you think.

Jon

Thank you,

Collectors Auto Supply
(6am to 4pm Pacific Time)
Find Us On Facebook

More
23 Nov 2019 04:10 #38889 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic 810 trunk interior
We don't really need to go looking for some a new material for the trunk interior. The original material was burlap, and it is readily available from many sources today, and it is cheap. It doesn't seem to be readily available with diagonal lines as was used by Cord in '36 and '37. The trick is to find some process by which to add the diagonal lines on a little more of a production line basis than one at a time, even though that does work. George Ehresman, who was responsible for restoring some 27 Cords, told me he used that technique when I was looking at the last one he restored, so it has been done more than once.
If you can get the diagonal lines on the burlap, the next step is to adhere the burlap to a jute backing. Originally it was needled together, today we have many types of spray adhesives that would make that job pretty easy, even for amateur restorers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds