New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

810 trunk interior

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
12 Nov 2019 13:12 #38835 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic 810 trunk interior
The original burlap wasn't an extremely tight weave, but because the jute backing was needled through it, it had the appearance of being more tight than it actually was. Since we can't buy burlap with jute backing needled through it, I think the best that can be done now is to get a tightly weaved burlap, paint on the line pattern, and then adhere to a jute backing. I have closely examined original samples from four cars, and the samples seem to have no color added to the background... in other words, they had black lines printed on natural color burlap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2019 03:16 #38843 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic 810 trunk interior
John,
Thanks for posting these pics. I find that by blowing them up on this website that I can actually get a close scaling of the no. of lines per inch. If you look closely in the blown up mode, the samples are stapled to a white background paper. The standard office staple is just a tiny fraction less than 1/2 inch in length. Using this info, the no. of lines/inch is approximately 8-9 lines/inch. on both of Rick's original samples.
Going back thru all the previous posts, there were a number with scales on original trunk material.
MichaelR had material with approximately 6 lines/inch.
Terry's original had approximately 6 lines/inch.
Tim Gilmartin's had approximately 9 lines/inch.
Wyn ladigs' had approximately 8.5 lines/inch on both samples.

We are seeing 2 distinct patterns, nominally 6 and 9 lines/inch. We need S.N.s for Michael R's and Tim Gilmartin's material. to try to determine if there is a specific time when the two types were used.

More
13 Nov 2019 14:56 - 13 Nov 2019 14:57 #38846 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 810 trunk interior
I took a better picture of the buckle on the tool roll strap on a 1936 Auburn 852 Phaeton, though unfortunately I could not get my phone camera flash to continue to function for any more pictures. I so far have been unable to find a duplicate buckle still being manufactured today.

JMM
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Nov 2019 14:57 by johnmereness.

• wcoye
  • wcoye's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
14 Nov 2019 04:28 #38853 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic 810 trunk interior
about how thick is the jute backing material? Stiff or flexible? Is it like thin carpet pad?

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
14 Nov 2019 12:22 #38856 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic 810 trunk interior

wcoye wrote: about how thick is the jute backing material? Stiff or flexible? Is it like thin carpet pad?

It is thin and flexible. Looks to be about 1/8" thick but hard to say due to deterioration over the past 80+ years. The thinnest carpet pad jute that I can find today is 20 oz, which is about 1/4" thick.

• wcoye
  • wcoye's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
14 Nov 2019 14:08 #38858 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic 810 trunk interior
Thanks, 20 oz is the thinnest I've been able to find. Maybe in another 83 years the 20 oz stuff will degrade to 1/4 inch. ;^)

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds