810 trunk interior

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
31 Oct 2019 17:54 #38749 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic 810 trunk interior
Also, do we have any real evidence to know whether the background jute was natural color or whether it was died a yellow/gold as I see some people use? Every original jute I have seen seems to be natural colored to me, just with black lines on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
31 Oct 2019 21:19 #38751 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 810 trunk interior
Rick Hulett told me that all of the trunk lining material had the same yellowish golden background colour but it had faded with time.
I believe the striped material with the fine lines in Tim Gilmartin's picture is the outside of the fuel tank filler pipe sleeve.

T cockerell

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
31 Oct 2019 21:23 #38752 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic 810 trunk interior
Hi Wyn: Yes, that one side was nice; but take a look at the fill side. Pretty gnarly. The nice looking fine line material is not the same as the burlap. All the burlap material had the “natural” color jute backing it.
Tim.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
31 Oct 2019 21:23 #38753 by wynlaidig
Right, but fresh new burlap has a yellow golden color, like newly harvested wheat. So the question is whether is was naturally yellowish golden or whether they actually used died burlap to begin with.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
31 Oct 2019 21:24 - 31 Oct 2019 21:25 #38754 by wynlaidig
Thanks Tim, That makes sense.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2019 21:25 by wynlaidig.

More
01 Nov 2019 01:00 #38756 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic 810 trunk interior
Except for the piece of jute that was on the back of the rear seat which was just jute, all of the trunk lining material was faced with a burlap material to which the lines were added. The exact coloring of either material in 1936 will probably never be known as time ages both the coloration and the material. My son recently acquired some of the jute backing material which is basically grey in color.
Rick went thru about 3 different suppliers over the course of time that he supplied the trunk kits. The face sheet with the lines changed with was available and economical. The jute backing to which the face sheet was adhered became basically illegal (Uncle Sam thought someone might smoke it},
Rick always tried to simulate the original material with affordable available materials.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds