New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

810 trunk interior

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
30 Sep 2019 17:59 #38494 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic 810 trunk interior
Thanks you , Michael Rohde , for weighing in on this fascinating thread w/ Post #38493. As I am familiar with the history of your Cord S#1704A ( formerly owned by Glenn Pray) and have physically inspected the car prior to your purchasing it here in St. Louis, Missouri , USA , I believe the trunk interior upholstery is original. So much of your car is exactly that -- Original. Respecting the photo images posted by Rum Runner ( Post #38485 ) the trunk interior images are from his 1937 Cpord Model C-96 supercharged Beverly S#32410S. I previous owned that vehicle and believe that the trunk upholstery is NOT original but was skillfully installed by previous owner Col. Leonard Redburn during his meticulous restoration. It is a lovely car as Rum Runner knows. This thread is most excellent. Keep the posts coming, Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2019 02:40 #38496 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic 810 trunk interior
i agree with Jonathan that this thread is excellent. We are getting lots of good info on 810/812 trunks, mostly in the form of pictures which can be very helpful to restore your car. However if you try to accomplish a restoration based only on the pics you will quickly come up with many questions on details that the pics don't completely answer. That's where Rick Hulett would come in to fill in the details. Hopefully if we can pull enough info on this web we can get our officials to work toward getting Rick's treasure.of information. which also includes interior upholstery ( trim ) and tops for phaetons and cabriolets. The trunk trim details are complex enough to warrant a thread like this one . The interior trim would fill another and the top a third. I would like to see all of Rick's info preserved by our officials, but the next best thing would be having 3 separate threads in his area of expertise with as many pics and sketches and words as our membership can contribute.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
01 Oct 2019 02:57 #38497 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 810 trunk interior
Well said... VERY WELL SAID...

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
01 Oct 2019 09:51 - 01 Oct 2019 09:55 #38499 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 810 trunk interior
This topic has generated a lot of interest and rightly so. You normally don't get to see the inside of a Cord trunk. One other problem with the Westchester trunk is lack of storage space. There is a void between the spare wheel and the RHS of the
body. This can be accessed by removing the spare wheel but that is a chore. I modified my trunk shelf so that it has a removable section in the RHS above the void. It is hidden away by the carpet over the shelf.
To access the compartment you just have to pull back the carpet and remove the lid. There is a lot of space for a screw jack, modern hub cap removing tool, heaps of other tools and spares. I also fitted a small panel so that the stored items would not damage the fuel tank filler sleeve.
This leaves the rest of the trunk free for everything else or clear for car shows.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Oct 2019 09:55 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures and revising text
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

• Terry Cockerell
More
03 Oct 2019 09:44 - 03 Oct 2019 09:46 #38528 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 810 trunk interior
I dug out the best sample I had of the original trunk lining material which actually came from behind the rear seat and photographed it with the fine line sample which came from Rick Hulett and an off cut of my reproduction material. I was obviously too close to what I was doing as I should have used a wider tipped pen.
When I suggested to my wife that I could remove the lining panels and redo the lines to widen them ................. she replied "DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!"
I guess it stays.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 09:46 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

• STEVEN.KUIPER
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
03 Oct 2019 13:24 #38529 by STEVEN.KUIPER
Replied by STEVEN.KUIPER on topic 810 trunk interior
great restoration guidelines in the 1960's and 1970's would state " part is painted black or engine is green" that was o.k. for then as technology was limited. today with all the digital cameras available virtually everywhere it would be possible to document original features on original cars. a picture says a 1000 words. as there are many many un-restored cars out there a photo authenticity guide could really improve future cord restorations. a good photo restoration guide could fuel stalled projects & inspire restoration to a higher standard. not quite knowing what is correct has caused some owners to never start. on a related line some cars(or areas on cars) do not need to be restored. just preserved. so there's a moth hole or 2 in the seat. if it is the original fabric, it should be saved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds