Skip to main content

Greetings from new Cord 8/10 owner

• Hal Klassen
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2005 05:27 #2679 by Hal Klassen
Replied by Hal Klassen on topic Greetings from new Cord 8/10 owner
A careful examination of the wheels on Glen's cars shows they were taken apart and had the centres moved to give proper offset. I guess no suitable wheels were available in the early 60s. This means there may not be room to mount some caps. I found a set of plain chrome aftermarket caps and made a series of punches to make holes [scaled down ] exactly like the originals. I would be happy to loan these to anyone who wishes to tackle this. Hal Klassen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2005 00:45 #2678 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Greetings from new Cord 8/10 owner
JEFF

I'VE SEEN CORVAIR CHROME WIRES ON E BAY SEVERAL TIMES (REAL WIRES NOT CAPS, MAYBE DAYTON, CAN'T REMEMBER FOR SURE) PERHAPS THOSE WOULD WORK NICELY.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Hal Klassen
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Jan 2005 19:30 #2677 by Hal Klassen
Replied by Hal Klassen on topic Cord 8/10
Hi Jeff, congatulations on your new car. I have #91 and can give you a few hints on wheels, wheel covers etc. [I made my own covers as the originals were Datsun which are almost
impossible to find.]
Hal Klassen

• jjpilot
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jan 2005 16:47 #2676 by jjpilot
Replied by jjpilot on topic Red Cord
Thanks, Bill. I know that my Dad has some pictures in his files of said car.

I do remember riding in it in my younger days, thanks.

Granddad apparently had a thing for rumble seats! I have a '33 Ford model C out in the garage that he added a rumble seat too. Very pretty car that now belongs to my brother. Hope to get it running this spring.

Talk (well post!) soon

Jeff

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 Jan 2005 15:19 #2652 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Fred's Red Cord
I saw your Grandfather's red Cord Cabriolet in Dallas at a local car shop about a year ago. It had the cut-down doors. A local mechanic was trying to pass it off as being one of the original Cabriolets that had a rumble seat. It was a neat looking car. Apparently there were a number of cars that received the door and/or rumble seat treatment back then.

I was threatened with a lawsuit if I posted a picture of it. I did some research and found pictures of it before it had a rumble seat. The rumble seat was an aftermarket kit.

This is a big reason why it is so important to be a member of the ACD Club if you are interested in Auburns, Cords, or Duesenbergs. The members really know their stuff! I am constantly amazed by the amount of attention that these guys put into documenting and determining the authenticity of the cars. These members know who they are, and I say Thank You! I am working with them now to finally get Authenticity Manuals developed and published.

There are a lot of car clubs, but this one's purpose to is to preserve original cars. I am very proud to be a Life Member. We are in a race against the clock. It will only get more difficult to determine authenticity as older owners and historians pass on. There is a lot of erroneous information on the Internet about these cars and other older marques. I have the benefit of some very knowledgable Club technicians assisting me with monitoring the information on this site.

We will never knowingly allow blatent misrepresentations of the cars on this website. As new facts become known, we will try to edit older posts if we find something that needs to be corrected.

I talked with other Club members who spoke very highly of your Grandfather and told me about the history of the car. I am going to give the mechanic the benefit of the doubt and assume he honestly didn't know the car had been modified.

Hell with it! It's 2005. Here's a picture of your Grandfather's car. It is really beautiful.

Send your pictures to: <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] I will get them posted for you.

• jjpilot
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jan 2005 04:04 #2651 by jjpilot
Greetings from new Cord 8/10 owner was created by jjpilot
I am looking for any help that any of you can give to me, and also looking for people who might have known my Granddad.

First, my grandfather was Fred Bauer, from Illinios. He had both originals and the 8/10, as well as his Tornadoes. I look forward to talking to, and eventually meeting all of you.

This past summer I was given Serial #1 of the 8/10. This car was given to Gordon Buehrig for his helpin redesigning the car, and maybe sentimental reasons also. It was driven very little, as he had also been given a 64&1/2 Mustang at almost the same time, I have a letter he wrote to Granddad saying he "much preferred driving the Mustang!". That was a great thing to help promote the car!!!! It was acquired at the Kruse auction in Auburn in '72. And driven very little by Fred also. Car was given to my Dad around 85. Again driven very little (like none!). Given to me this summer with 4,800 miles on it!!!

We got it running this fall, and put over 500 miles on it just cruising around!!!

Time has taken its toll on the paint, even though I don't believe it was very good when it was brand new! It looks ok from 20 feet but up close you can see the blisters, both large and small. It does need a clutch, which is slipping quite a bit, even though it was adjusted all the way in. Sooooo, while we have the engine out to do the clutch, and all the seals, we are going to paint it also. Which leads to some questions.

Anyone have any experience using walnut shell medium blasting. That has been suggested to remove the paint from the ABS plastic body that the car has. And from there, any specific suggestions about primers to use on this flexible material, and then paint?

I also have a set of rims from the original Cord (12 hole type), they've been in our warehouse for many years. I am thinking about adapting them to put them on my car. Anyone have any thoughts on that? The hole spacing is different, but it looks like the offset (?) is the same. With what the hubcaps will cost it could end up being an expensive idea!

The interior is purfect, as I'm sure it has seem very little sunlight, and no bad weather for sure!

I will send photos soon as we get into the project.

I am in contact with some members of the 8/10 group, but thought I would fish for ideas and old friends of the family here also.

I look forward to hearing from any and all
CORDially yours

Jeff Bauer