Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim

More
11 Oct 2019 01:03 #38586 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Terry, thanx for the great pictures. I have often wondered What the forming tool was and what was involved in the installation process. This makes me 1. mega impressed that you and your wife are doing this and 2. thankful that my trim is in good shape.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
19 Oct 2019 07:35 - 19 Oct 2019 07:38 #38624 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
The "FENCE" and "BONNET" ( Hood ) are finally finished and ready for installation. Attached are some pictures showing the completed work.
Modified stainless steel screws and nuts were used on the "FENCE" with spring clips with a few SS screws and nuts used on the "BONNET."
The spring clips are quicker to use but the screws and nuts give a better finish.

T cockerell
Last edit: 19 Oct 2019 07:38 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures.

More
19 Oct 2019 15:13 #38626 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Your workmanship is wonderful Terry. I especially like the front lower bead around the very center. I'm told that area is very difficult to make. That's the only piece I have of my original chrome beading.Dad told me to never loose it too.I remember it was ALWAYS kept in a box up high in a closet in our home. It had a couple of spotlights and the complete dash instrument panel.Great memories...

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2019 19:35 #38630 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Gary, the small curved piece would be difficult to form. Stan supplied it with the rest of the trim. As you mentioned yours is in a 12 ft long pipe however to make shipping more realistic they roll the lengths into coils about 2 ft diameter. It is all the same stuff but just requires a bit more work. Filing the heads of the SS screws was tedious as around 190 had to be done.
The whole job took about a week. Just take your time and don't rush it.

T cockerell

More
19 Oct 2019 20:53 #38632 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Terry I purchased all the Tee bolts and the spring clips from Stan probably 45 years ago. The box broke open and some fell out but I did my best to "find them" on my shop floor with a magnet.I then tried to count them all but its a horrible job to get them apart to count. So I purchased 20 of them from another member named wineleg I think. I'm a long way from installing any of this.I may purchase the piece from Stan because mine is very old looking. It may have been thru plenty of trouble over the years in the box o parts.

Gary Parsons

More
20 Oct 2019 23:13 #38641 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Terry, you are a true artist!

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds