Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
05 Sep 2019 04:49 #38186 by Terry Cockerell
Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim was created by Terry Cockerell
What is the best way to fit the stainless steel grill trim?
With the fence in the normal position or upside down?
I guess this is a two man job.
Any guidelines would be appreciated.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2019 12:14 #38187 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Terry I think it depends on you which way you place the fence. I'm not ready to install mine yet but I do known Stan "rents" a tool for this job. Supposedly we start bending the end and begin install on either end. The make the final bend on the other end of the trim before its clipped in place. The very bottom trim piece is actually three pieces too. Thats the ONLY piece I have of the original trim from my car. Dad said safe this piece. Never loose it. I will be following this post closely.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
07 Sep 2019 23:54 #38219 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Hi Terry,

I do it with the fence right side up and off the car. I insert the clips first and space them out in the approximate location - they don't go in easy but once they are in place they slide all over as you are installing the trim. I start in the front of the fence (middle of the trim piece and work down one side then the other. I find it's best done with at least three people and in the middle of the driveway.

The big thing is to plan it out and make sure each person know what they are suppose to do. Also I would start on the lowest trim piece. Any mistakes don't show up there as much and by the time you get to the 5th or 6th piece you'll have the process down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
More
08 Sep 2019 21:16 #38241 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Thanks Jim, I guess three people makes a lot of sense and out in the open too where there is plenty of light and space.

T cockerell

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2019 07:10 #38570 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Preparation is the key to success installing the grill trim.
It arrived from AC Parts in rolls. Once the tape holding the rolls has been cut it springs open quite a bit. It unfolds into a giant "C" shape. I found it best to have a very large table at the side of the work area to lay out the grill trim. From the "C" shape it can be gently straightened out by hand into a straight length and moved over to a plank at least 12 ft long covered in corrugated cardboard so the trim won't get scratched. The ends have to cut with a small grinding wheel to open them as they are closed in from cutting.
You can use either the original type spring clips or screws with modified heads that will slide freely in the trim.
Starting at the front and centre point of the fence it can be done with two people. One holding the free end while the other works along one side.
The trim has to be hand formed into a curve that swings away from the fence so that as it is fixed in place it sits against the fence between fixing points.
SO FAR SO GOOD. The ends of the trim have to be formed to wrap around the curved ends of the louvers. JK Howell made a special tool for this job however when I made a copy I decided to modify the design to eliminate the possibility of errors.
More to follow.

T cockerell

More
07 Oct 2019 13:06 #38571 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Fitting Stainless Steel Grill Trim
Thanks for sharing this Terry but.... It never happened without pictures...:lol: Interesting it came in rolls.Many years ago mine came in a long piece of schedule 40 steel pipe threaded on both ends. Its still inside this pipe and wrapped in brown paper. I will get it down from the rafters and post some pics of it later. Our club has a member that has made a run of the spring clips. I purchased all I needed from Stan many years ago but...The box it came in was a radiator cap box that fell to the shop floor about 7 years ago. They are nearly invisible on the shop floor too.I used a magnet but still not sure.Tried to count all of them.Each different car model has a different amount of spring clips.They are nearly impossible to separate to count... So I purchased 20 extras..Am now happy...

Gary Parsons

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds