Skip to main content

Uphoststry Color Options for '37 Cords

• sheena1941
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2019 18:46 #38581 by sheena1941
Replied by sheena1941 on topic Uphoststry Color Options for '37 Cords
Thanks for your comments, Gary, as I'm planning to use a burgundy color with tan beading on my 812 Beverly. I just wanted to be sure that the contrasting color combination was what was acceptable and used in original production cars.
Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michael R
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2019 19:36 #38505 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Uphoststry Color Options for '37 Cords
once again I may introduce my 36 Westchester #1704 with its mostly original interior. Pics are left side of the rear bench and arround door latch right rear. Te contrasting light tan is a leatherette material.

Attachments:

• sheena1941
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2019 14:57 #38503 by sheena1941
Gary,
Thanks for your input. I'm planning to re-upholster my Beverly sedan in a deep maroon color and wondered if Cord had a standard contrasting color for the beading. Do you know whether that was the case?
Bruce

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2019 13:44 #38501 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Uphoststry Color Options for '37 Cords

sheena1941 wrote: Jim,
Can you tell me whether the webbing ( or beading) on the '37 Cords was always the same color as the rest of the broadcloth wool, or was it (or could it be) a contrasting color.
Thanks,
Bruce

I can tell you my 37 Beverly sedan has a contrasting beading color. My cars color was cadet grey and the interior seat color was dark blue broad cloth. What we used to call tuck n roll.The beading is grey. I recall taking and posting pictures of it on this forum some years ago. Later today I can take pics if you want to see this color combination.

Gary Parsons

• sheena1941
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2019 12:28 #38500 by sheena1941
Jim,
Can you tell me whether the webbing ( or beading) on the '37 Cords was always the same color as the rest of the broadcloth wool, or was it (or could it be) a contrasting color.
Thanks,
Bruce

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
30 Sep 2019 09:17 #38491 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Uphoststry Color Options for '37 Cords
Jim, it is probably better if you contact Tim Gilmartin for comment on this.

T cockerell

• Jim_Swift
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2019 17:03 #38482 by Jim_Swift
Replied by Jim_Swift on topic Uphoststry Color Options for '37 Cords
Jim,
Is a non-standard combination of factory colors also problematic for judging--like a black exterior on a tan interior? I recall that "E. L. Cord's Beverly is that combination but expect that he was his own documentation.
thanks,
Jim

Jim Swift

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2019 20:05 - 28 Sep 2019 20:07 #38471 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Jack this cabriolet belongs to George Arakelian. I remember seeing it at the 2015 Tech Cession. It has one of the extremely rare Cord Compasses.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Sep 2019 20:07 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2019 18:08 #38470 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
I did not see it this year, but I want to say in past few years there was a yellow phaeton that came that I believe had an all original interior (or was original excepting front seat).

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2019 18:05 - 28 Sep 2019 18:10 #38469 by johnmereness
Photos were taken Friday morning at the Swap Meet. It was a 2 passenger Sportsman. I took photos more for the color of the vinyl verses ...

JMM
Last edit: 28 Sep 2019 18:10 by johnmereness.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2019 17:36 #38467 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
What an amazing trio of pictures of what appears to be an original interior of a
Cord Model 812 phaeton. I missed seeing this car and the photos appear to have been taken very early on Saturday morning , before Eckhart Park opened up for the judging regimen. Who is the owner of this amazing Cord? Thanks.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2019 16:24 #38466 by johnmereness
I snapped these photos at this years ACD Festival - looks like original door panels and possible original dashboard paint.

JMM
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2019 13:54 #38440 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Regarding the Carmen Miranda Cord, Back in 1994 , 1995, & 1996 I traveled to the Connorsville spring meets as this was combined with a BOD meeting. At the dinner we had a lady guest who was a retired Auburn secretary. She spoke about a movie star coming to pick up her new Cord at the Factory. They were excited to see Carmen Miranda come with her clothing color matching the new Cord .

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, Terry Cockerell

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2019 04:27 #38415 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
I thought you would fill us in Jonathan.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2019 20:48 - 18 Sep 2019 20:51 #38414 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Curt, where did this document come from?
At the 2015 Auburn Meet during the 810 812 Cord Tech Cession were told specifically that unlike Auburns 810 812 Cords were not available in special paint colours to special order. Now here we have both types of cars being painted and assembled in the same Factory in Connersville. It is not consistent however the number of cars produced were relatively small in numbers compared to 1930 and 1931.
Attached are some production figures I have.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2019 20:51 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2019 16:20 #38413 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Bear in mind that the "Frank Lloyd Wright" Cord L-29 cabriolet now displayed at the ACDA Museum was in fact owned by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation when my late father acquired the car from Wesley Peters ( FLWs' son in law). Peters had acquired the car on the East Coast and it had originally been a dark non-metallic maroon colour. The FLW people painted the car "Cherokee Red" after they acquired it. The present colour of the car as displayed was applied by restorer Dave Samuels and is what I would call "Florida Orange Juice" , certainly not a factory or custom Cord L-29 colour. It is all in the details, folks.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2019 12:33 #38412 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
The 34-36 Auburns could be ordered with custom colors for $31.00, Why not Cords

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2019 04:51 #38411 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Frank never owned the Cab. He owned a Phaeton and wreaked it.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2019 02:42 #38410 by Terry Cockerell
Jim, I must be one of the very lucky Cord owners who has documentation of the sale date, colour of the car and the original owners name. This is all due to the wonderful work done by Jim Brockman. The sale date in Toronto was April 9th and first owner was Amos Mason who lived in Acton, Ontario.
Last year before Auburn we had a trip across southern Ontario visiting Acton where we had morning tea in the Mason's old house with the current owner. That was quite a novel experience.
From Google , April 9th 1936 was a Thursday with cool weather conditions in Toronto so the Cord must have ran well on the way to Acton
Was your orange colour anything like the L29 cabriolet that belonged to Frank Lloyd Wright?
One day some of these Cord anomalies may be deciphered.

T cockerell

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2019 17:45 #38409 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Weatherproof vinyl upholstery was new at the time and was called Naugahyde. For the timeline history it was developed early on. Further reading, www.naugahyde.com/

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2019 13:45 #38407 by johnmereness
It is not uncommon to see the occasional Cabriolet or Sportsman at ACD Festival sporting its original vinyl door panels. Auburn used the same methods - vinyl on all the side panels and leather on the seats, arm rests, and door pockets. My assumption has been three things - when vinyls came out they were may have been cutting edge, the cars leak like a sieve, and possibly cost. I believe the Cord with vinyl described has a 100 % vinyl interior though.

JMM

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2019 13:06 #38405 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Terry, any documentation would have to come from either the original owner or from a Dealership since we don't have any factory records.

There are a lot of Cord oddities out there. At this time it is getting very hard to tell if something was done in 1936, or 1946 or 1956. We will probably never know.

The original color on my sedan is hard to describe. It was kind of a orange tan. Somewhere around here I have a gallon of paint I had mixed up to match it and a test piece I sprayed to ask people about it. Since it was't a standard color and I didn't really care for the color I let it be and went with the Palm Beach tan.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2019 23:22 #38403 by Terry Cockerell
Jim, I do believe that Cords could be ordered in special colours at extra cost however the number of special orders would have been low hence the survival rate with documentation would almost be negligible.
The Factory did build cars to special order the hard topped coupes come to mind plus others. So special paint should follow as no big deal.
Tom Wilcox in Canada has a phaeton that he is restoring. This Cord has brown upholstery that is neither woolen broad cloth or leather but a canvas type leatherette. Tom is adamant that there are only one set of tack holes in the wood framing. This car came from the Philadelphia area in the 1950s so it could have been handled by Teefy Seltz.
What colour would you say your sedan was originally?
The search goes on.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2019 21:06 #38402 by JIM.OBRIEN
Cliff, you are right on the color, it also has chrome headlight covers. And yes it does have the mechanical shift on it. The car did come out of South America but there is no proof that I know of regarding the ownership history or how it got that color.
Jim
P.S. your package will arrive on Wednesday. See you in Hershey!

• Michael R
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2019 20:40 #38401 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
the car mentioned in the cord complete book as an example for a special order colour is again my 704. But with modern technical equipment the myth was busted recently, showing that first paint was palm beach tan and claret maroon aded later.
Attachments:

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2019 18:52 #38400 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Hi Jim: I remember seeing the Carmen Miranda Phaeton many years ago when it was owned by Bruno Kaplan. I remember it having a god awful paint color that looked to be original. If my memory serves me correctly, when I saw it in the early 1970,s, it also had one of those Garcia shifting conversion with a shift lever coming out of the dash.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2019 18:52 #38399 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Hi Jim: I remember seeing the Carmen Miranda Phaeton many years ago when it was owned by Bruno Kaplan. I remember it having a god awful paint color that looked to be original. If my memory serves me correctly, when I saw it in the early 1970,s, it also had one of those Garcia shifting conversion with a shift lever coming out of the dash.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2019 14:00 #38371 by JIM.OBRIEN
Terry, I never kept track of different body color cars. Early in my career working with Paul Bryant I remember a Cord owner who had documentation of his Cord being painted a custom color. I don't remember who that was. Also when I restored my sedan I found the original color was not one of the standard colors. At the time I showed the color to many of the old timers and Cord experts and none of them had ever seen the color (I restored the car in Palm Beach Tan).

There are also the old stories such as the Carmen Miranda Cord that was painted purple and the painters in the factory thought is was the ugliest thing they had ever seen. When she picked up the car she loved it so much she gave the painters a very large tip. I don't know if it's true or not, but a great story!

I believe it was more common to have a leather interior installed in a sedan and there is at least one fabric interior in a open car.

I don't know if Ron Irwin has any records of cars being painted special colors. I did a quick look through his information that I have and didn't see any notes.

So the bottom line is there is probably very little to no documentation of Cords being painted non-standard colors by the factory.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2019 11:32 #38369 by Terry Cockerell
Both of Josh Malks wonderful books on Cords list the options. The titles are Cord 810 812 The Timeless Classic and Cord Complete. These books can be found on Ebay.
I have tried to attach copies of what I have. It may not have worked.

T cockerell

• sheena1941
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2019 08:41 #38368 by sheena1941
Replied by sheena1941 on topic Upholstry Color Options for '37 Cords
Jim, Thanks again for your insight. Could you also advise me where I can get the best information on the proper color combinations that were produced on the '37 Cords.
Thanks again,
Bruce

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2019 22:36 #38365 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Help with engine rebuild
Jim I would like to know what colour cases are documented.
At the 2015 Tech Cession in Auburn I was told quite specifically that the Auburn Company only painted Cords in standard colours and did not paint cars to special order in special colours.
Gordon Buehrig had often stated at meets that as the company was so desperate to make sales they did paint cars to special order.
Rick Hulett also documented numerous upholstery variations.
Have the current judging standards rewritten the Factory history?

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2019 19:36 - 16 Sep 2019 13:40 #38364 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Help with engine rebuild
Hi Bruce, While it is true that a customer could order any color they wanted, there are very few documented cases of that happening. If you are going to have your car judged in this club your best bet is to stay with an offered color combination. Besides the original combinations were pretty good for that era.
Jim
Last edit: 16 Sep 2019 13:40 by JIM.OBRIEN. Reason: wrong word

• sheena1941
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2019 13:26 #38358 by sheena1941
Replied by sheena1941 on topic Help with engine rebuild
Jim, Thanks for the information and I'm sorry to be so tardy, but for some reason I was unable to log into the ACD website for several days. I assume a customer could any color he desired at the time.
Bruce

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2019 01:31 #38243 by JIM.OBRIEN
Hi Bruce, The original interior was an english wool broadcloth. If you are paying someone to make and install your interior most of the cost is in the labor. The price difference on the final job is not that much between the original material and a cheaper material.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2019 15:01 - 08 Sep 2019 15:02 #38235 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Help with engine rebuild
Olsen's had a congratulatory note regarding Paul's retirement from the gasket business - it can be found in the March/April issue of the Club's Newsletter

JMM
Last edit: 08 Sep 2019 15:02 by johnmereness.

• sheena1941
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2019 12:56 #38230 by sheena1941
Good Morning Jim,
Thanks for all your insight and information. I will follow up on all your suggestions.

I'm also in the process of upgrading and replacing all the original upholstery and wondered if you knew the best material to use to keep the car as close to original as possible. Are synthetic mohairs acceptable?
Bruce

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2019 04:46 #38227 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Help with engine rebuild
My understanding is Paul Terhorst has retired. from selling gaskets.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2019 00:03 #38220 by JIM.OBRIEN
Hi Bruce, When you get the gaskets order the one piece intake/exhaust gasket - it will save you some head aches down the road. Paul is a rep for Olsen, so they both come from the same place.

I agree on Rhode Island wiring. I have gotten several from them. The one thing I do is is get the transmission control harness in one piece so you eliminate the connection at the base of the steering column which is a problem area. They gave me a special part number for the one piece harness Part #0222 0528-C66185. For originality you can dummy the wires thru an old connector or machine out a piece of aluminum to look like the can.

For the carb you can get a rebuild kit from Daytona Carb. The fuel pump I rebuild myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• STEVEN.KUIPER
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2019 12:46 #38188 by STEVEN.KUIPER
Replied by STEVEN.KUIPER on topic Help with engine rebuild
paul terhorst also sells gasket sets. [email protected] or InterestingPartsInc.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: sheena1941

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Sep 2019 03:58 #38168 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Help with engine rebuild
What about the trans? Now is the time.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• sheena1941
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2019 07:36 #38164 by sheena1941
Gary, Thanks for all your help. I wasn't sure my first post went out and never even had a chance to say my name - Bruce Pendergast - and I live in western NC near the TN state line.
Bruce

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2019 15:23 #38158 by johnmereness
Rhode Island makes a fabulous wiring harness ! www.riwire.com

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2019 15:22 #38157 by johnmereness
Olsen's gaskets: www.olsonsgaskets.com/

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2019 13:21 #38155 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Help with engine rebuild
It would be nice to know what country or state you are in because then this forum can help knowing how close you are to others in the known. Most of the parts you ask about are available from several sources. Stan at Aurburn Cord Parts in Wellington Kansas has what you ask for. My wiring harness is from Rhode Island Wiring. Rebuilt kits for the carb and fuel pump are available most places too but make sure they are the new kits.Old kits are not to be used with modern day gas. They get eaten up because of the ethenol...

Gary Parsons

• sheena1941
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2019 12:27 #38154 by sheena1941
Help with engine rebuild was created by sheena1941
I'm rebuilding a '37 Beverly engine and need help finding head gaskets, companies to rebuild my carburetor and fuel pump, and a wiring harness. Can anyone help me out?