• New User
More
23 Aug 2019 16:48 #38078 by matfecto
Buying a 1936 Cord was created by matfecto
What do you think off this bauty?
Should I vuy ? Thank you
Mathieu from Canada
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2019 21:34 #38082 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Buying a 1936 Cord
Before recommeding a purchase you need to know whats there and whats missing. From your pictures I can tell you both front and back bumpers are missing. What you have are wrong. Also my guess is someone repinted the car and covered the chrome fence molding so nobody can tell you if its able to be saved or not.The drivers side windshield vacuum motor is missing as it the wiper arms. No wheel covers are seen in any pictures nor is the transmission Cord badge.Might explain a little more about this car too like price, engine and car serial numbers will tell you the history of this car.

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: matfecto

More
23 Aug 2019 21:46 #38083 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Buying a 1936 Cord
Give it a wash before your wife sees it.
Pete from Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: auburnandyscar, matfecto

• STEVEN.KUIPER
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
24 Aug 2019 13:16 #38086 by STEVEN.KUIPER
Replied by STEVEN.KUIPER on topic Buying a 1936 Cord
also missing. trunk latches with fence stainless, gas door handle, fender stone guards and bumpers...there goes an easy $4,000 for the exterior chrome parts.
i've heard "there's nothing more expensive than a cheap avanti" just put the word" cord" in and that works too. realize this will just be the beginning of the spending . however, if you've dreamed of owning a cord and the price is good it might be just the car for you. i bought a couple "cheap cords" 20 years ago.... and i've enjoyed having them the whole time ( still not done yet).

More
25 Aug 2019 14:33 - 25 Aug 2019 14:34 #38092 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Buying a 1936 Cord
That 4K you just quoted may be the friendly price if you are a diligent and resourceful parts hunter with restoration skills too, but for the average Joe on the street who has not been at ACD products for a good long while, I would more than double that cost (realistically I would say 8K plus the cost of restoring the parts as well).

JMM
Last edit: 25 Aug 2019 14:34 by johnmereness.

More
25 Aug 2019 14:34 #38093 by william057
Replied by william057 on topic Buying a 1936 Cord
Depending on what your intent is, makes a big difference. Driver, show car, parts car, car to park in the barn and say "Hey, I own a Cord". Although the car looks fairly together, you will most likely find a long list of missing parts or items that are in disrepair. As with any restoration, inventory the car, list what needs to be done, then TRIPLE it. Engine rebuild, interior, chrome work, electrical, brakes, etc. can be expensive repairs, Would you be doing most of the work? I took on a similar project, my 1936 Cord 1752A, fully knowing what was there and not there, and still found more than I bargained for.
Bill Heisler
36 Cord 1752A

Bill Heisler - 1936 Cord

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds