Skip to main content

Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2019 02:33 #38151 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Only Babbit for me in the future.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
27 Aug 2019 08:52 - 28 Aug 2019 07:55 #38119 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Jim.
My engine had been converted to modern shell bearings for the big end bearings back in the 1950s. The timing chain was so loose that I could have tied a knot in it yet it ran extremely well with good oil pressure. The main babbit bearings were fragmenting. The crankshaft was in excellent condition and was ground to suit a completely new set of bearings. A n engine reconditioning friend with an incredible amount of experience has made the new main bearings and will finish the new camshaft bearings soon. My mate has been involved with reconditioning all types of engines as well as racing engines. He has made connecting rods for drag cars ete etc. I will discuss the crankshaft hardness issue with him tomorrow.

I discussed the crankshaft hardness issue with my engine reconditioner and his comments were there should not be any problems as the oil is being properly filtered.
Babbit bearings being soft will absorb minute particles. The particles are held against the crankshaft journals by the white metal over time these particles will score the journal which was exactly what had happened to my engine main bearing journals. The three leaded bronze main bearings when fitted did not require line boring just some hand scraping.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2019 07:55 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding extra text

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2019 23:34 #38112 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Terry,
I would be very careful using the leaded bronze in the bearings instead of babbit. The crankshafts are not hardened. People that have gone to inserts on the crankshafts have found that the crank wears very quickly and results in large clearances and reduced oil pressure. I'm not sure how the leaded bronze will work, I would have to do a lot more research.

To me the biggest benefit of the full flow oil filter is to allow you to run a modern detergent oil in the engine.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2019 23:30 #38111 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Terry the insulating properties is for electrical arcing in electric motor windings but nothing to do with thermal insulation. I really have never read anything about it flaking off but do understand how it can plug a screen. Thanks...

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2019 22:19 #38109 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Gary. I have seen this paint inside the gearbox of a war time TD18 International bulldozer that my father had years ago. I just had a look in Google at various sites and they all tend to say the same thing DO NOT USE IT!
It can flake off and clog up the oil pick up etc
On pictures of GYLPTAL paint cans it says Insulating.
I would do a lot more research before using or recommending this product.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2019 21:11 #38107 by 1748 S
Terry you may or may not know about using Gylptal paint on the inside of the engine where any oil flows or drips off of it. Many old racers used it to keep microscopic casting sand left over from original sand casting of the blocks. Am told many years ago its ALWAYS coming out of the cast iron and its the small stuff that does all the damage.No filteration can catch this fine material.. My plan is to use Gylptal on my engine and my transmission case along with the differantial case. I have not reached this level of restoration yet. Oil will drain back to the pan much faster than from the raw casting. It has no effect on cooling either. Gylptal is available world wide but it expensive. Is it a need or requirement... Maybe not but its protection just the same.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2019 21:10 #38097 by Terry Cockerell
The aim of the conversion is to eliminate all of the babbit bearings in the engine and use leaded bronze consequently oil filtration is required to protect the bearings. This will also extend the life of the engine. This car will not be used occasionally but the intention is to have a real driver that can be driven almost anywhere.

T cockerell

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2019 14:44 - 25 Aug 2019 14:45 #38095 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
I believe a Cord 810/812 car never had an oil filter on it when new, why have one on it now ? Most 36 to 48 Cadillac Flatheads do not have filters and they are some of the most popular tour cars in CCCA. I have seen some beautiful filters designed for cars that do not get 100 miles on them a year and seen no filters on cars that get 5000 miles a year. I only say this as a Cord is challenging and I personally would just focus on the known trouble points. My apologies for the two-cents if unwanted advice.

JMM
Last edit: 25 Aug 2019 14:45 by johnmereness.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Aug 2019 22:21 #38090 by Terry Cockerell
Wow Jim, you must have a decent size milling machine for a start.
I have written up an article on a step by step basis but it is too long for the newsletter. It needs to be condensed for general reading. I have sort of slowed down on newsletter articles after winning the Fred Benson twice, I later found out that a person can only win it once! I will send you a copy and Shannon the condensed version.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
24 Aug 2019 21:18 #38089 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Hi Terry,
Why don't you write this up for the Newsletter. I did this conversion years ago on my sedan but I set the block up in my milling machine to drill the hole. I was too chicken to try and do it with a hand drill. I'm planning on doing it again as I rebuild my phaeton engine.
Jim

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
23 Aug 2019 11:55 #38076 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Mike, I also have that information and used it to do the work on the block. One thing that really worried me was the use of a pistol drill. There was NO mention of jigs or drill bushes. I contacted Bill Richardson Junior and we agreed jigs were required to keep the holes drilled in the block concentric. I said my prayers before attempting the drilling but it all worked out ok.

Last night I had a look in Google for information on positive displacement gear pumps and found a simple formula.
Swept Volume = 3.1416/4 ( Do X Do - D1 X D1 ) L
Where Do is the outside diameter of the pump gears and D1 is the root diameter of the gears and L is the gear length.
Consequently the Swept Volume of a Cord V8 oil pump is 1.3 cubic inches per revolution of the pump
Considering crankshaft speed the pumping rate is 1.3/2 X RPM cubic inches /m

Working with this information the filtration engineer made a selection for me of a modern filter element that will fit inside the Bypass filter canister that was mounted on the firewall. I am now modifying the inlet and outlet plus increasing the oil supply tube size inside the canister to cope with the increased flow rate.
( I hope I have not made any spelling mistakes)
Cheers,
Terry
PS I will have to add some pictures soon.

T cockerell

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Aug 2019 03:51 #38075 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Hi Terry, I have the full instructions that Lee Richardson developed for the conversion and he does not mention what filter to use or anything about oil flow.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2019 14:01 #38070 by 1748 S
Terry best I can tell you is what others have done installing the full flow filters. Thats use one that is period correct and place it far from view. Sadly those that have this information are probably passed on now. My answer is only a guess so I wont send it. Not knowing can be a big mistake. But am following this post too.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2019 03:47 #38067 by Terry Cockerell
Engine Oil Flow Rate ??????? was created by Terry Cockerell
I am in the process of converting my engine to Full Flow oil filtration.
I need to get a figure on the engine oil flow rate in order to select a suitable filter.
Would anybody out there know what the flow rate is???????

Thanks,
Terry Cockerell
Australia

T cockerell