Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
22 Aug 2019 03:47 #38067 by Terry Cockerell
Engine Oil Flow Rate ??????? was created by Terry Cockerell
I am in the process of converting my engine to Full Flow oil filtration.
I need to get a figure on the engine oil flow rate in order to select a suitable filter.
Would anybody out there know what the flow rate is???????

Thanks,
Terry Cockerell
Australia

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2019 14:01 #38070 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Terry best I can tell you is what others have done installing the full flow filters. Thats use one that is period correct and place it far from view. Sadly those that have this information are probably passed on now. My answer is only a guess so I wont send it. Not knowing can be a big mistake. But am following this post too.

Gary Parsons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
23 Aug 2019 03:51 #38075 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Hi Terry, I have the full instructions that Lee Richardson developed for the conversion and he does not mention what filter to use or anything about oil flow.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2019 11:55 #38076 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Hi Mike, I also have that information and used it to do the work on the block. One thing that really worried me was the use of a pistol drill. There was NO mention of jigs or drill bushes. I contacted Bill Richardson Junior and we agreed jigs were required to keep the holes drilled in the block concentric. I said my prayers before attempting the drilling but it all worked out ok.

Last night I had a look in Google for information on positive displacement gear pumps and found a simple formula.
Swept Volume = 3.1416/4 ( Do X Do - D1 X D1 ) L
Where Do is the outside diameter of the pump gears and D1 is the root diameter of the gears and L is the gear length.
Consequently the Swept Volume of a Cord V8 oil pump is 1.3 cubic inches per revolution of the pump
Considering crankshaft speed the pumping rate is 1.3/2 X RPM cubic inches /m

Working with this information the filtration engineer made a selection for me of a modern filter element that will fit inside the Bypass filter canister that was mounted on the firewall. I am now modifying the inlet and outlet plus increasing the oil supply tube size inside the canister to cope with the increased flow rate.
( I hope I have not made any spelling mistakes)
Cheers,
Terry
PS I will have to add some pictures soon.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
24 Aug 2019 21:18 #38089 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Hi Terry,
Why don't you write this up for the Newsletter. I did this conversion years ago on my sedan but I set the block up in my milling machine to drill the hole. I was too chicken to try and do it with a hand drill. I'm planning on doing it again as I rebuild my phaeton engine.
Jim

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
More
24 Aug 2019 22:21 #38090 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Engine Oil Flow Rate ???????
Wow Jim, you must have a decent size milling machine for a start.
I have written up an article on a step by step basis but it is too long for the newsletter. It needs to be condensed for general reading. I have sort of slowed down on newsletter articles after winning the Fred Benson twice, I later found out that a person can only win it once! I will send you a copy and Shannon the condensed version.

T cockerell

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds