Skip to main content

Installing Richardson front axles

• Jack Richard
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2004 17:03 #2635 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Improved outer seal
I decided to design an improved seal for the outer CV joint ( the one for the inside of the steering nuckle). I turned them from bronze and they press fit into the inner diameter behind the hub bearing, have a CR rubber seal which seals against the spindle. I will post some photos on this website and perhaps send a drawing to Josh for the newsletter.

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack Richard
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2004 01:19 #2587 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Installing Richardson front axles
I spoke to Bill yesterday, and he didn't seem too knowlegable about this particular problem. He said his dad tried several "designs" for this seal but did not have any suggestion other than try a bronze ring instead of plastic. This might reduce the wear on the ring, but not improve the seal. I may call him again,
Thanks,
Jack

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Brad Waken
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2004 00:47 #2586 by Brad Waken
Replied by Brad Waken on topic Installing Richardson front axles
Bill Richardson is still producing the CV Joints in Phoenix, AZ. The membership directory lists his business number as 602-788-2625.

• Jack Richard
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2004 20:39 #2585 by Jack Richard
Installing Richardson front axles was created by Jack Richard
I am in the process of fitting a pair of Lee Richardson's modern CV joint axles in my '36 Westchester, and have run into a problem fitting the outer grease seals. These axles were put together in 1998 and have Toronado outer CV joints and hubs. The problem is the grease seal which seals the outer hub bearing on the inside of the steering "nuckle". The rubber seal is fitted to a white plastic ring, and it appears that the seal is supposed to seal against the inner nuckle surface an not rotate, the axle spins inside this ring. The problem is that the rubber doesn't come close to touching the inner nuckle surface unless I turn it around "backwards", where it would be compressed greatly (and probably distorted) when the unit is assembled. Any thoughts from anyone about this situation? Maybe the seal was not designed to touch the housing and really seal? I have heard that this plastic ring was replaced with a bronze ring to provide better wear? Maybe a good bead of RTV silicone on the outer rim of the seal would be the most direct soultion, that way it would adapt to the irregular inner surface of the joint nuckle?
Thanks for your input,
Jack