Gas pressure

• Rileypu29
  • Away
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
04 Jul 2019 14:18 #37673 by Rileypu29
Replied by Rileypu29 on topic Gas pressure
Mike makes a good point about the 7 psi maximum inlet pressure for the regulator, if you go with an electric fuel pump make sure that it does not exceed that rating. 7 psi seems to be a common rating for 12V pumps, I have not looked into 6V pumps but would expect they would be similar. I purchased my regulators from Summit however they seem to be the same price of $33.20.

Terry, I believe that my 812 is actually running completely on the electric fuel pump. I purchased the car from Gail Shaw and when I bought the car he told me that the mechanical pump is disabled and only for looks. I believe that he cut out the diaphragm so that gas pumped by the electric pump just passes through. I have not checked to see what type of electric pump I have on the 812, it is located under the car near the back. If anyone is interested please let me know and I will crawl under the car and take a look.

All of the comments about junk from the gas tank clogging the needle valve or sticking the float are right on. A discretely (or not) placed fuel filter can do a world of good.

Bill

Bill Kastanis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
04 Jul 2019 15:40 #37674 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gas pressure
I drive an 89 F-350 diesel that came with a mechanical fuel lift pump. I belong to a diesel forum and many have found that an electric lift pump works so much better but.. We can't run them in tandem because the fuel pressure of 6 lbs will rupture the mechanical lift pump diaphragm. Then you engine oil is flooded with diesel. If not caught early you ruin the bearings running fuel diluted oil..So we remove the mechanical pump and run only the electric pump. About removing the diaphragm and using our mechanical lift pumps for show is suspect to me.I think that would allow the fuel to flood our Cord engines.I will be checking on this because my Cord mechanical lift pump is apart on my work bench waiting a rebuilt kit. I'm all for electric fuel pumps over the mechanical pumps because we can install them to start pumping when the ignition is switched on. It also keeps pressurized fuel from the tank all the way to the carb helping to stop the fuel from boiling during vapor lock coming to our engines.I have seen all kinds of different fuel line routing on Cords and sometimes wonder what an owner was thinking running the lines so close to the exhaust manifolds.

Gary Parsons

• Rileypu29
  • Away
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
04 Jul 2019 18:06 #37675 by Rileypu29
Replied by Rileypu29 on topic Gas pressure
Hi Gary,

I think that you are correct about my description of disabling the mechanical pump. I am sure that there is a way to have the fuel travel through the mechanical fuel pump but cutting out the diaphragm is likely not the way to do it. I would have to examine a mechanical diaphragm pump to see how to best do it. Likely disabling the pumping drive for the diaphragm would be the best way. Thank you for your correction.

Bill

Bill Kastanis

More
04 Jul 2019 18:45 #37676 by Roads2run
Replied by Roads2run on topic Gas pressure
A fuel pump diaphragm disintegrating can cause flooding by sluffing off small pieces of the diaphragm and blocking the needle valve. That plagued me from a fuel pump diaphragm my good friend JK thought was impervious to everything, but sadly wasn't. Tom Hartz

Roads2run

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
04 Jul 2019 21:26 #37677 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gas pressure
Bill some of the Cord people here in Australia just run an electric fuel pump.
Mine is a low pressure Airtex 6 volt pump. I use it to prime the engine and run on the mechanical pump.
When it was on the road before starting the complete restoration of the car it ran like a steam train. I covered around 10,000 miles in 5 years. At times the engine would start to run rough when going up steep hills at highway speed so I switched the electric pump back on and found the engine powering on again., otherwise it ran beautifully on the mechanical pump.
I figure if I ran it on an electric pump all of the time, if that eventually played up I would be stranded.
I placed the electric pump close to the gas tank and have an in line filter between the tank and pump.
During the restoration work I found some distortion in the carburettor body to float top mating surfaces which allowed air to be sucked into the carburettor throat. This has been carefully rectified. Later this year when it is all back together I can start experimenting again.
Cheers from Down Under.
Terry Cockerell

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Jul 2019 00:19 #37682 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gas pressure
Terry during my carb rebuild and restoration I found the cover to be warpped. The gasket could not take up the gap. So I lapped it flat on a special honing stone. It will not leak air or gas this is for sure...

Gary Parsons

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds