Skip to main content

Correct hose clamp(s)

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2022 07:42 - 24 Aug 2023 07:18 #45817 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Mike you can have both. Some of the period style clamps I bought would not close up enough to suit the hoses on the engine. I simply made my own period looking hose clamps. To bridge the gap I fitted a small stainless steel strip with both ends tapered on the hose and tightened the screw. They look good and don't leak.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Aug 2023 07:18 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture & revising text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2022 04:05 #45815 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Right on Bob. Do you want to drive or look pretty.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• BobbyR
  • Registered
More
04 Aug 2022 20:13 #45808 by BobbyR
Replied by BobbyR on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Years ago Melvin Clemens was told a worm drive hose clamp was not correct of
J357 and his answer was "It doen;t leak anymore"
Bob Roller

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Jul 2022 20:16 #45716 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
I was at that West Coast meet. I too saw this unmolested Cord. I was standing with Randy and Ron and asked Randy the same question about the oilier for the throw-out bearing.Ron said it was NOT original. Also the rear bumper has an extra stiffener piece added for the tow hitch. It too was not original. The asbestos pipe insulation on the exhaust header pipes was original and it was held to the steel pipe with band clamps. The same pipe insulation can be made today using a material called calsil. It comes in different thickness and pipe size up to about 30 inch diameter. Its common in power generating steam plants. I used it plenty in the distant past.

Gary Parsons

• abhaysingh
  • Registered
More
19 Jul 2022 17:18 #45715 by abhaysingh
Replied by abhaysingh on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Jim, I have pictures of the rope I've seen in years past meeting the West Coast in Morro Bay. It was an original uninfected car. Mark Tommy was looking under her. I was asking Randy Emma about an extra copper tube extension for the oil cap area of the disposal bearing. Ron Erwin also requested Randy that was the original extension. vnvideoeditorpc.com/

• tayedils
  • Registered
More
29 Dec 2019 06:41 #39121 by tayedils
Replied by tayedils on topic Correct hose clamp(s)

wcoye wrote: Hi! Recently had a manifold repaired. When it was re-installed the guys used a worm drive clamp to cinch-up the asbestos sock on the exhaust line immediately after the manifold. That can't be correct, but what is. Is there a list I've missed for the proper clamps for the rest of what is under the hood? I thought I'd spend rainy summer days sprucing up the engine bay. Correcting the clamps seems to be a worthy project.

The hasteners were simalar to the design of the Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire under hood wire fasteners along the radiator supports that held the horns.Stan sells them.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
14 Dec 2019 16:57 #39043 by 1748 S
Original exhaust wrap was shaped and molded Asbestos held on with aluminum straps similar to the wire harness wraps. It was about 1/2 inch thick asbestos. Most generating stations from the past used Asbestos on all piping. It was called Asbestos pipe because it came in half the diameter of the pipe it covered. I used to remove it from main steam lines and it was well over 6 inches thick. The steam lines were under 3500 lbs of super heated steam at 1000 degrees. We were brave way back then. But not as brave as the Navy boiler romm workers in the ships. Pressure was not like what we had in the power stations but temps were as high as 1500 degrees.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
14 Dec 2019 14:56 #39040 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
The correct wrap on the exhaust is an interesting topic - I have seen many Auburns with nothing, many with reproduction braided material held on by a variety of clamps, and I saw one possibly original Auburn and it had a molded material that had a wire mesh in it .

JMM

• tayedils
  • Registered
More
13 Dec 2019 04:47 - 14 Dec 2019 05:36 #39033 by tayedils
Replied by tayedils on topic Correct hose clamp(s)

wcoye wrote: Hi! Recently had a manifold repaired. Nox Vidmate VLC When it was re-installed the guys used a worm drive clamp to cinch-up the asbestos sock on the exhaust line immediately after the manifold. That can't be correct, but what is. Is there a list I've missed for the proper clamps for the rest of what is under the hood? I thought I'd spend rainy summer days sprucing up the engine bay. Correcting the clamps seems to be a worthy project.

The hasteners were simalar to the design of the under hood wire fasteners along the radiator supports that held the horns.Stan sells them.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2019 05:36 by tayedils.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
12 Jun 2019 09:48 - 14 Jun 2019 12:11 #37428 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Bill I bought a set of original type hose clamps from Restoration Specialities. The items were selected to suit the hoses and were not supplied in a "set" to suit a Cord.

T cockerell
Last edit: 14 Jun 2019 12:11 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2019 17:39 - 11 Jun 2019 17:42 #37417 by 1748 S
Jim... Here is the car from last years west coast meet with the asbestos exhaust pipe covers. You appear to be correct. My pictures do not show a canvas wrap... But it sure looked that way last year..I'm getting old...
Last edit: 11 Jun 2019 17:42 by 1748 S. Reason: First picture is NOT the car in question. Sorry, I do not know how to delete pictures. Just taught myself how to tranfer pics from my Droid cell phone to this computer. Am not computer smart...

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2019 02:58 #37406 by 1748 S
Jim I have pictures of the Cord I saw at last years West Coast Meet in Morro Bay. It was an unmolested original car. Mark Tomei was looking under it. I was asking Randy Ema about an additional copper tube extension to the oil cap area for the throwout bearing. Ron Irwin as asked by Randy was that extension original. No was his answer. I did not ask bout the Asbestos wrap of canvas but did notice it was original and the clamps were original too. I will transfer the pics from my phone to my computer to post here but... I need my daughters help.I'm not bright on picture transfers or much about computers.

Gary Parsons

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2019 01:23 #37405 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Thanks, Jim! This is a great help

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2019 00:27 - 10 Jun 2019 00:30 #37404 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Bill,
Here are a couple of photos. The exhaust insulation clamp, some original insulation and clamps and the type of hose clamps for the water tubes. The asbestos insulation was pre-molded and came in two halves that slipped on the internal exhaust pipes and were held on with three clamps. I have never seen a canvas covering on the original asbestos.
Jim [
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2019 00:30 by JIM.OBRIEN.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2019 21:07 #37403 by 1748 S
Jim is correct. The exhaust was wrapped on Asbestos and had a canvas cover applied over that. The hasteners were simalar to the design of the under hood wire fasteners along the radiator supports that held the horns.Stan sells them.

Gary Parsons

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2019 16:16 #37401 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Jim, Thanks! I there a listing of what clamp is proper in other parts of the engine? I seem to have a bit of a collection under my hood.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2019 02:10 #37392 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Correct hose clamp(s)
Bill, Originally the exhaust pipes had a asbestos pipe type insulation on them. They were held in place by a strap that folded on itself. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow for you.

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Jun 2019 19:25 #37390 by wcoye
Correct hose clamp(s) was created by wcoye
Hi! Recently had a manifold repaired. When it was re-installed the guys used a worm drive clamp to cinch-up the asbestos sock on the exhaust line immediately after the manifold. That can't be correct, but what is. Is there a list I've missed for the proper clamps for the rest of what is under the hood? I thought I'd spend rainy summer days sprucing up the engine bay. Correcting the clamps seems to be a worthy project.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A