Dash Center Quadrant

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2019 00:10 #37369 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Dash Center Quadrant
Thanks again Terry. Am looking for the rheostat now.May end up making one from other rheostat switches I have looked at on ebay.
I did source the bracket. Took delivery last weeks. Sent it thru my Arm n Hammer Laundry and battery charger soak to remove some rust. Painted as yours is.Been putting this all together but...I do not know what the "trick" is for getting all 6 springs back in place. I have two sets. The old set you see in my pics and a new set I purchased a few years ago. Just trying to make it work before I paint and chrome pieces. Just feel like I'm missing something...

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
21 May 2019 08:18 #37283 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Dash Center Quadrant
Gary, I had a look under the dash today and could not see any numbers or manufacturer's name.
Regarding the springs across the pivot shaft maybe some were removed in the past?
I reassembled it the way it operated in the car. It worked that way for many years.
You will have to advertise for a rheostat switch and cast mounting bracket.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
20 May 2019 16:08 - 20 May 2019 16:10 #37275 by 1748 S
Thanks Terry for being a wonderful source of information on most anything I ask. This is a picture of what I have so I'm now searching for this and the rheostat.
Terry I noticed your springs are missing several compared to mine. Did you remove them or are they missing. They are available made new by an old spring maker from long ago.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 May 2019 16:10 by 1748 S.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
20 May 2019 08:35 #37274 by Terry Cockerell
Gary I will have a look under the dash tomorrow as the items are installed in the car. The black mounting bracket or frame that you referred to is a complicated cast iron casting that ties a lot of pieces together. I was rather impressed with it when I first examined it. Today it would be moulded plastic. There was quite a bit of machining in it's production to produce flat surfaces and drill various holes. You will have to get a replacement.

T cockerell
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 May 2019 14:35 #37264 by 1748 S
Terry is there a part number and makers name on this pictured dash light dimmer switch? Your black mounting piece is different from mine. It appears the dimmer switch mounts were cut off but why I can only assume for mounting a replacement dimmer switch. I don't recall if I ever had a dimmer switch on my car. Memory is hazy thinking back 45 years when I rewired the car with mostly the same color wire just to see if things really worked. When I saw the dash lit up after dark I was very impressed. The greenish color was outstanding.I just do not recall if I was able to dim the dash lights or not or if they came on full brightness when the headlights were switched on. So I probably will be searching for the mounting piece and a rheostat switch in the future... Knowing what I'm looking for or what other cars this may have come on will help.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
17 May 2019 21:38 - 17 May 2019 21:40 #37249 by Terry Cockerell
Yes Gary the smooth curved surfaces were chromed. Regarding the story of the Hand Built Cords do you have copies of the Reunion Books? There are two of them and probably still available from the Museum in Auburn. They are full of great stories and information. You can see my light switch as well.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 May 2019 21:40 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding to text

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
17 May 2019 16:02 #37236 by 1748 S
Dash Center Quadrant was created by 1748 S
Was the center toggle quadrant rotating pieces chrome plated where the toggle attaches to? I really can't tell. I'm in the process of restoring this piece of the dash and want to get it correct. I have seen the cover chromed but do not believe that is correct. I know the hand built cras had the names of each item applied by a rivet with the name of what that toggle controlled. I learned that from Randy Ema when he invited me to visit his shop.

Gary Parsons