Real gold or fool's gold?

More
31 May 2019 11:39 - 31 May 2019 11:40 #37341 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Real gold or fool's gold?
I agree with last post. Depending on what your intentions are.

I used these (or similar) to mount modern LED lights to my Cord so that I now have excellent lighting at night. That was more important to me than originality. Still, I can remove or reinstall these in under two minutes for the original look if I'm out driving in the daytime. For folks that know Cords, these won't look right. For folks that don't they look great. And once you see them on your car for a few days, they look normal.

-Michael
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2019 11:40 by RumRunner. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
31 May 2019 12:57 #37343 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Real gold or fool's gold?
Michael, your car is stunning. The extra lights are very nicely installed. True, They have the appearance of always being part of this car.You impressed me with the application and use.

Gary Parsons

• wcoye
  • wcoye's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
31 May 2019 17:46 #37346 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Real gold or fool's gold?
Gary,
Hmm ," What are your intentions" sounds like something my wife's father asked me many years ago.
My intentions is to have the best driver possible, knowing I'll never have the $$$ to do a real restoration. Wouldn't it be nice if the club had a judging category for drivers? I'll probably pick up a set of these shiny things on ebay and keep my eye out for an original set of mounts. Thanks for the pictures. I really had no idea what they look like. Now I can keep an eye out for the real thing

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
31 May 2019 18:57 #37347 by 1748 S
Bill... The original mounts were made by Auburn and they have a part number cast into the back side of them.Some time back this year I was asking about the Fog King lights and amber lens. Jim O'Brien was very helpful with plenty of information. Others have also been great help. One club member told me the Cord Fog Light tags will not cover all the imprinted light description so it must be ground off. Then re chromed to look correct.Personally I may try to gas weld the name plate on the light body. I'm sure gas weld silver soldier will work fine but need to research that a bit.

• wcoye
  • wcoye's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
01 Jun 2019 00:26 #37351 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Real gold or fool's gold?
Gary, I cringe at the thought of grinding the fog-king imprint off and getting anything plated has become a real " pita". I suppose not using the Cord Fog Light tags are a taboo too.......depending on my intentions.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
01 Jun 2019 14:51 #37354 by 1748 S
Bill... I really don't want to grind or weld fill the letters but ... Why can't "tags" be made wide enough to cover completely the name script? I know chrome work is both expensive and difficult to find. Especially in the once great state of CALIFORNIA. Seems anything can be said to be dangerous and run out of the state.. But Roundup is sold and used everywhere

Gary Parsons

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds