Skip to main content

Real gold or fool's gold?

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2019 19:03 #37372 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Real gold or fool's gold?
I left California four years ago, San Jose to be exact, but things aren't much different here. Still have to send out of state for plating. Kinda hard to create a working relationship long distance. And my mother-in-law lived most her adult life in the central valley and died of Parkinson's ....which has been tied to pesticides...which you may know are sprayed from planes and go everywhere. to make matters worse Cord people are very few and far apart so there's no one to "play with" here

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2019 00:54 #37360 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Real gold or fool's gold?
It's not too difficult to remove fog king that is on the shell. You do not grind the name off. Hold the shell in a vice via the mounting bolt with a nut on the bolt held firmly in the vice. They use a fine tooth metal file and followint the contour of the shell, file off the name. Then with a rubber sanding block with 80 grit, then 220, then, 400, then 600 grit sand paper the area you filed should be pretty smoth. Natually the shell will need to be plated and the chrome platter should be able to finish buffing that area before he replates. Make sure you drill the 2 holes for the Cord fog king tag before it goes to the chrome plater. In the past I have done many of these and it's a little tedious but not overly difficult. It's a lot easier if you have the chrome platter strip the chrome off the shell and give it back to you to file the shell. Much easier with the chrome stripped off first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2019 14:51 #37354 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Real gold or fool's gold?
Bill... I really don't want to grind or weld fill the letters but ... Why can't "tags" be made wide enough to cover completely the name script? I know chrome work is both expensive and difficult to find. Especially in the once great state of CALIFORNIA. Seems anything can be said to be dangerous and run out of the state.. But Roundup is sold and used everywhere

Gary Parsons

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2019 00:26 #37351 by wcoye
Gary, I cringe at the thought of grinding the fog-king imprint off and getting anything plated has become a real " pita". I suppose not using the Cord Fog Light tags are a taboo too.......depending on my intentions.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
31 May 2019 18:57 #37347 by 1748 S
Bill... The original mounts were made by Auburn and they have a part number cast into the back side of them.Some time back this year I was asking about the Fog King lights and amber lens. Jim O'Brien was very helpful with plenty of information. Others have also been great help. One club member told me the Cord Fog Light tags will not cover all the imprinted light description so it must be ground off. Then re chromed to look correct.Personally I may try to gas weld the name plate on the light body. I'm sure gas weld silver soldier will work fine but need to research that a bit.

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
31 May 2019 17:46 #37346 by wcoye
Gary,
Hmm ," What are your intentions" sounds like something my wife's father asked me many years ago.
My intentions is to have the best driver possible, knowing I'll never have the $$$ to do a real restoration. Wouldn't it be nice if the club had a judging category for drivers? I'll probably pick up a set of these shiny things on ebay and keep my eye out for an original set of mounts. Thanks for the pictures. I really had no idea what they look like. Now I can keep an eye out for the real thing

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
31 May 2019 12:57 #37343 by 1748 S
Michael, your car is stunning. The extra lights are very nicely installed. True, They have the appearance of always being part of this car.You impressed me with the application and use.

Gary Parsons

• RumRunner
  • Registered
More
31 May 2019 11:39 - 31 May 2019 11:40 #37341 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Real gold or fool's gold?
I agree with last post. Depending on what your intentions are.

I used these (or similar) to mount modern LED lights to my Cord so that I now have excellent lighting at night. That was more important to me than originality. Still, I can remove or reinstall these in under two minutes for the original look if I'm out driving in the daytime. For folks that know Cords, these won't look right. For folks that don't they look great. And once you see them on your car for a few days, they look normal.

-Michael
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2019 11:40 by RumRunner. Reason: spelling

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
30 May 2019 23:30 - 30 May 2019 23:32 #37339 by 1748 S
These are NOT correct but...Best question to ask is "What are your Intentions" If its to mount a Fog King driving light then yes...These will do that. But if judging at any ACD show is your intention then the answer must be no. Ron Monte had a light with the correct mount up on ebay bout 1 or 2 weeks ago. This is what the mount needs to look like.It can be black or chrome. No matter. It is your car too. How many "real Cord experts" are going to see your car. The everyday guy really has no idea what is supposed to be.
Last edit: 30 May 2019 23:32 by 1748 S.

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 May 2019 22:18 #37338 by wcoye
I'm looking at two fog light mounts on ebay. I'm considering buying a set to mount my fog king lights . Do y'all think they will work AND if I do use them will they be a taboo?

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
15 May 2019 01:45 #37203 by 1748 S
Good looking lights n lens. There were more than one lens made. I think this question is best answered by the experts on these lights.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
15 May 2019 01:40 #37202 by 1748 S
Nice find. The lens retainers appear to be too thin but your pics make it difficult to really tell. Here is what the retainer needs to look like.

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 May 2019 01:24 #37201 by wcoye
I recently acquired these two fog lights. See attached pix. They are labeled Fog-King Teleoptic Co. Racine. I know the Cord Fog Lamp plates are repros. The lamps are in pretty good shape. Usually too god to be true is, well, too good to be true. What say ye?

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 May 2019 21:46 #37196 by wcoye
Real gold or fool's gold? was created by wcoye
I recently acquired these two fog lights. See attached pix. They are labeled Fog-King Teleoptic Co. Racine. I know the Cord Fog Lamp plates are repros. The lamps are in pretty good shape. Usually too god to be true is, well, too good to be true. What say ye?

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Attachments: