Skip to main content

Pre-Select Question

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 May 2019 16:53 #37174 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Pre-Select Question
Many times the problem is lining up the gates,as someone who has driven old cars through life some you have to shift into neutral then rack the shiftier left and right and back in order to get 2nd gear gate clear and complete shift. In a Cord the if vacuum neutral side to side shift is a little weak or slow the same problem occurs. Hope this helps.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2019 02:03 #37172 by [email protected]
Will do!
Thank you

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 May 2019 01:50 #37171 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Pre-Select Question
It sounds like when you preselect you are not getting power to the white wire. My first guess is either the interlock switch is not adjusted properly or you lost the connection to the white wire. Do you have an original switch or a modern switch? Check all the connections and make sure it is adjusted properly.

Let us know what you find.

More
09 May 2019 01:08 #37169 by [email protected]
Thanks Jim for willing to help. If I Preselect to 2nd or 3rd it won’t shift when I depress the clutch. I’ve tried waiting with clutch in, revving and double clutching. All give the same result that it stays in the previous gear. After these attempts...If I take the selector while clutch is depressed and put to neutral then into the next gear and release the clutch it will shift like a manual transmission.

The only other thing that occurs is in order to go to second from first I need to shift to neutral, then shift to second. Otherwise direct to second goes to neutral. So then I need to depress clutch, go to neutral, back to second and it works.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 May 2019 00:16 #37161 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Pre-Select Question
If the shifting works "like a normal manual transmission" it should also work with pre-selecting.

What happens when you pre-select? That will help troubleshoot the problem.
JIm

More
04 May 2019 01:18 #37140 by [email protected]
My 37 Cord shifts beautifully when driven like a normal manual transmission. I can only get the Preselect to work from 3rd -4th. Any advice is greatly appreciated.