Skip to main content

Electrical Theory

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2019 22:54 #36793 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Electrical Theory
Terry, The recommendation for running a ground cable (it should be 00 cable) from the battery to the starter mounting bolt is an old one. The ground circuit from the battery to the frame under the seat, to the stub frame, to the engine/transmission to the starter. After 80+ years corrosion has crept in and it doesn't take very much resistance to prevent the starter from working as it should. If you are doing a full restoration pull the stub frame and clean the connection between the stub frame and the body frame as well as all the other connections including starter, grounding straps, transmission to bell housing to engine, etc. When you get done measure the resistance from the battery to the starter. It should be as close to zero as possible (I've had cars with 2 ohms not work).

For older drivers run the ground cable to the starter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry Cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michael R
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2019 20:39 #36771 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Electrical Theory
The current won´t do any harm to the bearings inside the transmission, it will run on the outside like on the cage of faraday.
To place a second ground wire is a good idea, cause if the only ground wire breaks, the current will search a new way when the starter is engaged, and this way may be through the temperatur gauge or some small shifting wires and that will do final destruction to these.
electrical regards from Nuernberg in Germany where Georg Simon Ohm discovered the elemantary law of electricity!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2019 20:33 #36770 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Electrical Theory
Gary too much deep thinking results in less activity .................. get on with it. The clock is ticking and it is getting faster as we get older. "Be Positive" and you will drive it to Auburn. I just wish I could afford to bring mine back and drive it all over your wonderful country and visit Canada again.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2019 14:21 #36768 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Electrical Theory
Thanks Bill and Terry for answering my concerns. Terry I had planned to add a strap from the starter to probably the frame rail so the flow of least resistance is shorter and a much more direct path from the battery. If I ever get to Auburn of course I would remove it. Bill, I'm always thinking deeply bout many things...

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2019 08:43 #36767 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Electrical Theory
I have read in earlier Cord related literature that it a good idea to run a separate earth lead from one of the starter motor mounting bolts back to the battery or cut out switch if fitted. I have followed best practise as suggested by others and fitted both. It certainly won't hurt for a driver.

T cockerell

• Rileypu29
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2019 04:35 #36766 by Rileypu29
Replied by Rileypu29 on topic Electrical Theory
Hi Gary,
I think that you meant that the negative side of the battery goes to the Startix, if it was the positive side no electricity would flow since that is grounded. The ground strap from the stub frame to the transmission case just helps to get a good ground on the drive unit/motor assembly as the motor mounts can sometimes prevent a good ground as they are rubber. Since electricity prefers the path of least resistance the electrons will travel through the drive unit case and engine block because that is much easier than trying to travel through the ball bearings / race connection. No harm should come to the drive unit.
Rest easy but keep thinking deeply.
Best regards,
Bill Kastanis
1937 812 SC Phaeton

Bill Kastanis

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2019 03:02 #36765 by 1748 S
Electrical Theory was created by 1748 S
So my wheels have been spinning about the electrical path taken from the battery to the starter. The ground is positive. So this means the positive lead is connected to the frame otherwise known as the ground. Now the ground side of the battery goes to the startix, then the starter. And finally we have the strap from the stub frame on the drivers side to the transmission case. This has to be the positive side of the battery..Please correct me if any of this is wrong.So knowing all this it appears we use the transmission as part of the positive grounding circuit. Finally how is this "safe" for the bearings and races in the trans??/ Yes... I think deeply like this all the time...

Gary Parsons